16x9 vs. 3x2 image ratio

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
16x9 vs. 3x2 image ratio
May 8, 2012

I have a home media center and my family and I review photographs on the big screen TV. I prefer to see the image fill up the screen so I shoot in 16x9 mode.

Why does it seem like Canon and Nikon cameras don't offer this option? At least on the ones I've looked at.
Thanks,
Shawn

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
Re: 16x9 vs. 3x2 image ratio
In reply to Shield3, May 8, 2012

They're stuck in the 3:2 era.

I'm sure others with less smart-alek comments with a along shortly.
--
Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to lehill, May 8, 2012

Does it have anything to do with megapixels? I.E. when I shoot with the A-57 in 16x9 mode it's really 14MP.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,220
Like?

Shield3 wrote:

Why does it seem like Canon and Nikon cameras don't offer this option? At least on the ones I've looked at.

I won't comment on what Canon and Nikon do, but I have been shooting more and more stills in 16:9 because it's kinda fun - and as you say, it works great when viewing images later on a 16:9 monitor. In reality, it's simply cropping the top and bottom off of a normal image, so you could do the same thing after the fact using any camera... but seeing the scene that way while composing a shot makes a difference in perception.

seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

Shield3 wrote:

I have a home media center and my family and I review photographs on the big screen TV. I prefer to see the image fill up the screen so I shoot in 16x9 mode.

You didn't look very hard:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos600d/2

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
Maybe Canon and Nikon...

want you to be able to display all of the MPs of the camera's sensor? You do know that if you take an image, or show an image, at 16:9, you'd not using all the MPs of the camera?

I have a 5MP cellphone that allows me to take pictures in 16:9, instead of 3:2. However, when doing so, the image is only using 4MP.

Besides most HDTVs have a zoom function on them which either crops or slightly distorts the image to fill the screen. And, some companies now have 22:9 ration TV screens which allows movies that are shot in that format to be seen as they are shown in the theaters, instead of being cropped, or shown in reduced size to fit the 16:9 screen.

Shield3 wrote:

Thanks,
Shawn

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,890Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, May 9, 2012

Shield3 wrote:

It's pretty easy to crop to 16:9 afterwards. That's what I do.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Steve Cohan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291Gear list
Like?
I shoot everything
In reply to Shield3, May 9, 2012

in 16:9 because I put so much on the Internet. It's easy to view on today's wide screen monitors. I was surprised Canon doesn't offer this option.

Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
cyainparadise
Like?
Re: I shoot everything
In reply to Steve Cohan, May 9, 2012

Did you see this post?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41459221

Steve Cohan wrote:

in 16:9 because I put so much on the Internet. It's easy to view on today's wide screen monitors. I was surprised Canon doesn't offer this option.

RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,896Gear list
Like?
Re: I shoot everything
In reply to cyainparadise, May 9, 2012

Sony's got the largest model coverage of the format. I've searched on my 5D.2 and can't find it (nor could I find it in the manual). Maybe it's got to do with Sony also selling TV's.

-- hide signature --
 RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
ArtiTO
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
re: why Sony does not offer 1:1? :-)
In reply to Shield3, May 10, 2012

with EVF it should be simple firmware update.
I know, I can crop it later but it would be nice to compose in square format.

ZippyZX3
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, May 10, 2012

I only shoot 3x2. If I want a 16x9 I'll crop the image. I don't own a wide screen monitor. I have a 22" 4x3 LCD monitor.

Now my Nikon P90 non SLR has the option for 16x9 in it.
-
Tim

My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/zippyzx3

ZippyZX3's gear list:ZippyZX3's gear list
Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM
cyainparadise
Like?
Now you understand...
In reply to RichV, May 10, 2012

Sony had their HDNA ads a while back, and the subject of the ads were how everything would be interconnected. And even further back in time, the theme of Sony's exhibits at CES was the Digital Convergence, or the coming together of difference because of the digital language they communicated with.

RichV wrote:

Sony's got the largest model coverage of the format. I've searched on my 5D.2 and can't find it (nor could I find it in the manual). Maybe it's got to do with Sony also selling TV's.

-- hide signature --
cyainparadise
Like?
re: why Sony does not offer 1:1? :-)
In reply to ArtiTO, May 10, 2012

ArtiTO wrote:

with EVF it should be simple firmware update.
I know, I can crop it later but it would be nice to compose in square format.

Then just think in your head how everything would look in 1:1. As for me, I think it's dumb to waste a third of the pixels of the sensors.

Claudio Galli
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZippyZX3, May 10, 2012

Having the possibility to use 3:2 or 16:9 (with my A77), I have different needs/approaches.

I am now a fan of the on-line printed photo books (after having filled my walls with very large prints made by myself). I use Apple Aperture (and the Apple print service) and I have to say that the printing quality is even better than my home printings (Epson R1800). In this case (books), I have noticed that it is far more easy to fill the pages with images with the 3:2 aspect ratio.

As the film format of the A77 is 16:9, if I have to make a film including both photos and movie clips, I have found that it is better to use the 16:9 format also for the images. I know I can crop/resize the 3:2 pictures in the 16:9 format, but it can happen that you have to leave out important parts out of the picture (e.g. if the subject fills the 3:2 frame). If you shot your pictures directly in 16:9 you do not run this risk (no cropping necessary).

To summarize, as a rule of thumb, this is what I do: 3:2 for the normal pictures (see photo album) - 16:9 for the pictures to be used together with the clips in editing a movie.

Claudio

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads