X-Pro1 sample shots updated

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,929
Like?
X-Pro1 sample shots updated
May 8, 2012

Over the past few hours it has become apparent that I managed to covert the Raw files from the X-Pro1 in the Adobe RGB colorspace.

The files have been re-processed, including sharpening that takes into account the X-Pro1's lack of AA filter.

I'm really embarrassed about my oversight and I apologise for any confusion caused.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/8

Richard - dpreview.com

Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tdptdp
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
Re: X-Pro1 sample shots updated
In reply to Richard Butler, May 8, 2012

That patch of green and purple fabric looks much more normally saturated now.

Nice work!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flaxseedoil1000
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

No worries, thx 4 your hard work

linusto
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

No apology necessary. We appreciate the followup. Thanks.

R Butler wrote:

Over the past few hours it has become apparent that I managed to covert the Raw files from the X-Pro1 in the Adobe RGB colorspace.

The files have been re-processed, including sharpening that takes into account the X-Pro1's lack of AA filter.

I'm really embarrassed about my oversight and I apologise for any confusion caused.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/8

Richard - dpreview.com

sescobedo
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to linusto, May 8, 2012

wow, these look great now.. it does look to best the 5dmarkIII at higher ISOs. and great resolution and sharpness. excited about the upcoming raw support!

breamer
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?

I understand your embarassment - I know I've made workplace mistakes before that have made me blush. We all make them. Thanks for the update.

Bmat
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?

thanks for the update.

not a comment on the process, just the files and the converter themselves -- the files/converter still seems to be favoring noise reduction over detail to a rather large degree as I see the files. And I thought the lack of an AA filter would give greater details for the X-Pro 1. The files are pleasing, but for the bills as an example a lot of the lines are washed out completely compared to other bodies (including the E-M5 if that is added instead).

[Before someone asks if I'm an E-M5 partisan, I'm not. I have both and really enjoy my X-Pro1.]
--
Brian. Too much stuff; not enough stuff.

flaxseedoil1000
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?
In reply to Bmat, May 8, 2012

Bmat wrote:

the files/converter still seems to be favoring noise reduction over detail to a rather large degree as I see the files. And I thought the lack of an AA filter would give greater details for the X-Pro 1.

I see the same thing, they seem soft.

My GH2 is a bit sharper, noisier, but very similar to the OM-D.

But is is BETA so they probably have some things to work out.

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?

R Butler wrote:

Why is the blue color missing in these pasterns on the stamp? What's those yellow patches next to the face?

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the update! Though, I'm still curious as to why the files look so "smudgy" compared to raw files from other cameras. In the end, a bit of sharpening can probably remove the feel, but still, it seems like details have been removed by some sort of processing.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,929
Like?
In reply to flaxseedoil1000, May 8, 2012

flaxseedoil1000 wrote:

But is is BETA so they probably have some things to work out.

Bear in mind our workflow is to minimise ACR's sharpening and apply an unsharp mask in Photoshop.

The beta is impressively well optimized (we're not given access until it's been tested, because nobody wants the results to look bad), and very closely resembles the JPEG levels of detail and sharpness when a conversion is done with default settings.

Richard - dpreview.com

noyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 8, 2012

ET2 wrote:

Why is the blue color missing in these pasterns on the stamp?

Remember you are comparing the 16MP X-Pro1 to a 24MP Sony, a 40MP Pentax and a 16MP Pentax.

The resolution of the BOTH 16MP cameras clearly won't show as much detail as the others. Indeed both the 16MPs are on a par for detail in your screenshot.

Norman Young
http://www.noyo.eu

noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
noyo
Like?
Re: Honesty

R Butler wrote:

I love honesty. The world is full of lying, spinning, cheating snake oil salesmen and politicians it is so refreshing when someone just owns up and says 'oops, mistake'. I know it's embarrassing but it does a lot for your credibility.
--
Norman Young

Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
noyo
Like?
Re: Different sensor layout
In reply to Asylum Photo, May 8, 2012

Asylum Photo wrote:

Thanks for the update! Though, I'm still curious as to why the files look so "smudgy" compared to raw files from other cameras. In the end, a bit of sharpening can probably remove the feel, but still, it seems like details have been removed by some sort of processing.

Don't forget this is not a 'bayer' layout sensor chip. Data for each pixel is being drawn from a 6x6=36 array to make an 'output pixel' compared with a 2x2=4 for a bayer. It's the old SuperCCD concept again, only on a square grid instead of the 45 deg honeycomb with its 'virtual pixel' stuff.

Instead of using an AA filter they are using a hardware configuration with on-chip/on-camera processing to reduce moire. A different way of doing the same thing but like the SuperCCD pixel-peepers might consider the RAW output to be soft.

Historically people that love the Fujifilm SuperCCD DSLRs will testify that photos are made to be printed or resized for web/PC viewing, not for pixel peeping or test charts.

The beauty is that you can dial in as much sharpening as you like with this system.

That's my guess anyway. Welcome to the strange and wonderful world of Fujifilm.

Norman Young

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to noyo, May 8, 2012

I should clarify, I'm definitely happy with the camera output so far. And was hoping to push it further in terms of detail when shooting RAW in the future with ACR (my usual processing methods). But it appears there isn't much difference between RAW files processed through ACR and the out of camera JPEGs. Leaving the advantages to just WB correction and DR recovery.

Not sure if that's just speaking of how good the JPEG files are, or how "bad" (relative term, not actually bad) the raw files from ACR are looking.

Either way, I look forward to seeing more from Adobe on this.

If you go here:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php?/topic/4581-adobe-camera-raw-support-imminent/

You'll see some interesting discussions regarding using RPP and Silkypix for conversions. As well as some samples.

noyo wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

Don't forget this is not a 'bayer' layout sensor chip. Data for each pixel is being drawn from a 6x6=36 array to make an 'output pixel' compared with a 2x2=4 for a bayer. It's the old SuperCCD concept again, only on a square grid instead of the 45 deg honeycomb with its 'virtual pixel' stuff.

Instead of using an AA filter they are using a hardware configuration with on-chip/on-camera processing to reduce moire. A different way of doing the same thing but like the SuperCCD pixel-peepers might consider the RAW output to be soft.

Historically people that love the Fujifilm SuperCCD DSLRs will testify that photos are made to be printed or resized for web/PC viewing, not for pixel peeping or test charts.

The beauty is that you can dial in as much sharpening as you like with this system.

That's my guess anyway. Welcome to the strange and wonderful world of Fujifilm.

Norman Young

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
CriticalI
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777
Like?
Honest, useful and...

...free! Can't ask for more than that - thanks Richard.
--
Regards,
Steve

noyo
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, May 8, 2012

Asylum Photo wrote:

I should clarify, I'm definitely happy with the camera output so far. And was hoping to push it further in terms of detail when shooting RAW in the future with ACR (my usual processing methods). But it appears there isn't much difference between RAW files processed through ACR and the out of camera JPEGs. Leaving the advantages to just WB correction and DR recovery.

I guess it is testament to the X-Pro1 that as a non-DSLR its images are being compared to some well respected DSLR brands & models. Keep in mind that some people are making comparisons against higher resolution models too.

Fujifilm has a long reputation for top quality jpegs that are very usable SOOC and have meant some people stopped using RAW. With RAW you have ultimate final control and recovery on a whole range of options.

I'm glad I kept most of my RAW files as I'm revisiting my older work and reprocessing some of them with better understanding. Also future software may pull more out of them whereas with jpeg the options are more limited. That's just a personal choice. Some people prefer to have more free space on their hard drives

Norman Young

Warfie 35
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

Enjoy RPP conversion:

tdptdp
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?