To Switch or not to Switch ?

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
Dan Goldman
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
To Switch or not to Switch ?
May 8, 2012

It's been a long wait for the 5D3.

My jump into digital started with the D300 and in 2005 I made the giant leap to 5D.

It has served my hobby well. I also have a bunch of L lenses and various accessories.

I skipped the 5D2 mainly because the AF was not upgraded. The jump in resolution almost doubled (12-21). I also followed the debate about banding and I guess that put me off too.

So I kept my good old 5D, and I must say this camera is still better than me. In very few situations I could have done things easier had I used a higher iso. Except for one thing: and that is the lack of outer focus cross sensors. Shooting quite a lot of portraits, standing or head shots, "center-focus-recompose" is a lousy method especially when using shallow dof and not doing this for a living to perfection.

I finally made my mind up and decided to go ahead with the purchase of 5D3.

UNTIL the D800 made a splash and completely rocked the boat. Are we now scrambling for the life boats ?

So, I spent several days going through my collection of pictures since 2005.

I think my conclusion is a rational one.

Apart from the fact that I am a gear head, I can say that the vast majority of my pics - except those suffering from bad focus - the 5D is still a hugely competent camera. Not once did I have to push shadows over the threshold of showing banding. Very seldom I had to shoot over iso 1600.

So the switch to the D800 would probably be irrational and very costly. Just because someone CAN push shadows 5 stops with a new sensor, doesn't mean it's a useful feature in the day-to-day-work. Try pushing a picture 2 stops and it will instantly look weird, at least to my eyes. Most of the hdr out there looks fake to me. The D800 doesn't have outer(spread out) af cross sensors to enhance model shooting.

I think Canon has delivered a killer cam, making an upgrade from 5D first generation, well worth it.

And the price hike, well, I guess you get what you pay for (I think the devaluation of the dollar has influenced the price hike a lot)

Anybody else thinking along these lines ?

Here is a pic from the weekend taken with the 7 years old 5D click twice. I know it's got a few distracting elements... cc appreciated.

Dan

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Was in the same boat as you
In reply to Dan Goldman, May 8, 2012

I've had the 5Dc for 5-6 years now. I also skipped the Mk II because it didn't upgrade the things I actually wanted. I too was planning on buying the Mk III because it seemed perfect for me, and in turn I ALSO was pretty blown away by the new Nikon and considered switching, even to the point of going through and figuring out how much a new lens kit would cost me.

At the end of the day I bought the Mark III. Just got it in the mail yesterday. My reasoning was thus:

1.) In 8 years of shooting digital I have rarely, if ever, missed a shot because of DR issues. It took me time to develop an eye for dealing with those situations, and even more time to learn the technique to deal with it in PP. But it just wasn't a factor. Until I start working on my coffee table book called "The Inside of Garages Shot from the Street in Harsh Noon Sunlight," I just don't see myself needing it enough to switch systems.

2.) With the 5Dc I can't say I ever clamored for more resolution. Printing 16 x 20, the 12 smooth MP were plenty.

3.) I HAVE missed plenty of shots because of iffy and outdated AF, especially non-center point. I HAVE missed shots because of lousy indoor WB and jpeg out of the camera. I HAVE missed shots because the LCD was not clear enough to show focus that was just a hair off. I HAVE missed shots because I was never comfortable shooting above ISO 800.

The 5DIII addresses everything in point number 3, and then some (I could go on, but won't - I'm looking forward to a good couple days of shooting first). The resolution will be nice, and will render better detail in large prints, but I truly don't need 36MP, and I don't need those enormous files either.

All that said, the Nikon sensor is wonderful, and I'm glad they developed it because it will keep pushing Canon. For those doing landscape and studio stuff, it's really hard to argue with the D800. Just not right for me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,921Gear list
Like?
Re: To Switch or not to Switch ?

To me switching complete systems (and the heavy costs of such a switch) over a single body makes little sense unless you are a working pro and that new camera gives you something you MUST have for your job. Or you are rich and the cost of such a new toy is pocket change. If a 5D3 gives you everything you need why switch 'just because'?

The D800 is an amazing camera, and for the price has rocked the DSLR world. But nothing about it makes me want to switch systems, and I do sell my work. And frankly the early results I'm getting from RAW in Adobe CS6 make my 5D2 look like a different camera (in a good way). The files have gained highlight headroom and have less shadow noise with this new converter. Adobe appears to have worked some magic with this new version.

I'm sure the D800 will put more pressure on Canon to deliver big time come next generation. And who knows, in a year Canon may have a camera out that makes D800 users consider switching.
--

My sites:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?
From a 10 year Canon buyer......
In reply to gipper51, May 8, 2012

I am not sure that you can validly rationalize away the distinct advantages of the Nikon's sensor. It is killer; full stop.

People without Canon history/equipment don't have to do that and they are the people ordering the D800. (among others)

Me? I'm loving my 5D3/kit but I sold my old Ls and I am holding off on new purchases until the future of Canon vs. Nikon becomes a bit clearer.

I hope that Canon introduces a next-gen sensor soon because I love the Canon interface and system. I have had excellent help from Canon support when I've needed them too.

I am inclined to continue with them but that's up to them.

Lovely lady; beautifully captured.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?

Don't jump the gun on jumping ship.

Because Nikon announced a very fine camera a few weeks ago, it is very premature to think about a brand switch and all of the consequent mess of selling old and purchasing new lenses and other gear.

If there is actually a truly critical thing that you cannot do right now with Canon gear and which you can do with Nikon, and failing to equip yourself for that absolutely critical thing will affect your livelihood and/or the quality of your work in real and significant ways...

... take a deep breath. Relax. Slow down. Your current equipment works fine.

Dan

Jaims
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?
that's smart.
In reply to DFPanno, May 8, 2012

DFPanno wrote:

Me? I'm loving my 5D3/kit but I sold my old Ls and I am holding off on new purchases until the future of Canon vs. Nikon becomes a bit clearer.

That's smart.

I am also buying the 5D3 some time soon, but I've been contemplating to buy a d800... just for the new sensor.

I guess and hope that Canon will develop better sensors (although that will force me to upgrade ).

To the OP: the 5Dc is an amazing camera, if it only had a decent AF system and liveview (fine AF capable) I would stick to mine.

Regards

Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,864
Like?

All you have to ask yourself is if the 5DIII is better than your 5D classic? If the answer is yes (it is better in all respects), then upgrading to 5DIII is a logical solution. I believe too many people got bruised in the 5DIII vs D800 debates. No one, reading or participating in the Nikon vs. Canon threads ever walked out feeling great about their brand, or their choice of.

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,068
Like?
In reply to bgbs, May 8, 2012

bgbs wrote:

I believe too many people got bruised in the 5DIII vs D800 debates. No one, reading or participating in the Nikon vs. Canon threads ever walked out feeling great about their brand, or their choice of.

Who wants to feel 'great about their brand'? All I want is a camera that does the job I want it to, I don't care much who makes it (as long as it isn't Microsoft. )
--
Bob

amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,646
Like?

I jumped but not totally. I am adding D800 for now and down the road I will slowly move over to Nikon. When I saw what I can get for $3000.00 with Nikon D800 compare to 5D3 I have no choice but do it.

Canon has screwed us over the years and it is pay back time. So far I have not felt the cost of switching. I have since sold my 7D, 1Ds2, 24-105, 85f/1.8 and 58EXII. On Nikon side I have purchased 16-35VR, 85/f1.8g, 105VR, sb900. The only downside so far is waiting for D800.

Now I may have hard time switching completely to Nikon due to my 85L, 50L and 135L. I will have hard time getting rid of those three lenses. Time shall tell.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,331Gear list
Like?

I love new gear, but I'm sticking with the 5DII for a while and will skip the 5DIII. I'm having so much fun stitching 80mp landscapes (using live view and MF) even the D800 isn't that tempting right now. But when I pass this current phase in my photography and shed the tripod, the D800 might be for me if no more problems pop up with that camera. The Interpolated fuzzy live view magnification might be a turnoff since I'm used to the Canon implementation.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
jhal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to amobi, May 8, 2012

Hm, i won the lotto last Saturday and I wonder if I should buy a Ferrari 458 Spider or stick to the Porsche 911...I wonder which one will make me a better and faster driver OR kill myself from driving too fast.

P.S: this is for all 5DMKIII v D800 followers

amobi wrote:

I jumped but not totally. I am adding D800 for now and down the road I will slowly move over to Nikon. When I saw what I can get for $3000.00 with Nikon D800 compare to 5D3 I have no choice but do it.

Canon has screwed us over the years and it is pay back time. So far I have not felt the cost of switching. I have since sold my 7D, 1Ds2, 24-105, 85f/1.8 and 58EXII. On Nikon side I have purchased 16-35VR, 85/f1.8g, 105VR, sb900. The only downside so far is waiting for D800.

Now I may have hard time switching completely to Nikon due to my 85L, 50L and 135L. I will have hard time getting rid of those three lenses. Time shall tell.

jhal's gear list:jhal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Raylaw
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
???????

Dan Goldman wrote:

My jump into digital started with the D300 and in 2005 I made the giant leap to 5D.

The D300 was announced in August of 2007 and released in the Fall of 2007.

Did you leap in 2005 and jump in 2007?

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,680Gear list
Like?
In reply to amobi, May 8, 2012

Wow you bought all the Nikon lenses without a camera?

amobi wrote:

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,680Gear list
Like?

Looking at what you shoot and what your needs are I think the right decision is to stay put. Just don't buy the 5DIII if you don't feel like to reward Canon for screwing us with the high price.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,646
Like?
In reply to carlk, May 8, 2012

I had to. Nikon lenses are hard to come by both new and used ones. I will rather have lenses with no camera than camera with no lens.

carlk wrote:

amobi wrote:

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,068
Like?
In reply to carlk, May 9, 2012

carlk wrote:

He's not alone, I've done the same. Got the 14-24/2.8G. It's nice to have just as an object - an awesome piece of glass. Still, just ordered a Nikon G to Canon adapter to use it on the Canons - that's mean the D800 arrives before it does.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Glenn Haley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Good Advice
In reply to carlk, May 9, 2012

As another 5D owner I was also considering upgrading to the 5D III until I saw what it offered and it qualified more as a 5Dn than a new upgrade. I don't see the value in spending that much for the camera when the 5D still delivers great images. On the other hand I think the D800e offers much more and is an actual upgrade from the 5D.

The main question for me is would I see enough benefits to spend $6K for a new starter system. For now the answer is no and the smart thing to do is keep my money invested rather than buy a major depreciation item. To calm my urges a bit I did splurge and by a little G1X to play with and it's quite surprising.

mvmv
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
New comparison
In reply to Dan Goldman, May 9, 2012

You might find this new 5d3/d800 comparison in Ronmartblog interesting:

http://www.ronmartblog.com/

Dan Goldman
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Re: ???????
In reply to Raylaw, May 9, 2012

Sorry I misspelled D300 while I meant 300D. See link below. It was a great camera, but when 5D come onto the market it was a huge upgrade in relative terms.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos300d

An upgrade from 5c to 5D3 is gonna feel like an upgrade in many many ways, if it hadn't been for this "new obsession" created by Nikon with pushing the shadows 5 stops. Do we really need that, or are we just humiliated by the fact of not being on top anymore ?

Thanks for the comments.

Dan

Raylaw wrote:

Dan Goldman wrote:

The D300 was announced in August of 2007 and released in the Fall of 2007.

Did you leap in 2005 and jump in 2007?

Mr Fartleberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
Re: ???????
In reply to Dan Goldman, May 9, 2012

Do you not mean 30D?

I can't believe how you brush off a several hundred dollar price premium compared to the D800 or the available Nikon D800E option. The 5D3 just isn't worth the asking price.

Anyway Nikon has filed patent for a 17mm shift so Canon are looking a bit less like the full frame Messiah they once were at one time.
--

Sold the (old) half-frame from Thailand. Bought a 700 under my own personal stimulus
plan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads