D800 Beauty Shot

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
davesee
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
D800 Beauty Shot
May 8, 2012

It's not exactly a total beauty shot because her hair isn't perfect, but we worked with what we had that day. I was glad to finally be able to put the new camera through it's paces and as expected, it's very fantastic. The level of detail achievable is impressive and the dynamic range is amazing and so helpful.

As others have pointed out, no amount of camera shake (even at 1/250th) goes unpunished and any level of the image being out of focus is made very obvious. This is a camera where you really have to pay attention to what you're doing and have to work with.

So here's the shot:

And here's the obligatory 100% crop:

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rrichie
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: D800 Beauty Shot
In reply to davesee, May 8, 2012

Geezus.......efff

mine just shipped today from Ritz......

seems like i chose the right choice. YAY!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrichie, May 8, 2012

Beautiful!

Tell us about the lighting setup?
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
davesee
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, May 8, 2012

Oh yeah, so the lighting setup was:

Alienbees B1600 into a gridded octabox up right for the key light, B800 into a small gridded strip box back to the left for rim, B800 with the standard reflector and a honeycomb grid for the background.

She held a smallish silver reflector in her lap to bounce fill light up and there was another big silver reflector to the right to bounce some of the rim light back onto her hair.

davesee
Like?
In reply to rrichie, May 8, 2012

You won't regret it. Just lay off the coffee during shoots to keep your hands calm. Or invest in a monopod. Haha.

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?

great shot.

I am investing in backgrounds, do you prefer using grey or black backgrounds ?

I heard that grey is excellent, as you can modify it to color with flash gels too.

SkyDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

Beautiful! If I may rise a minor remark, her skin looks quite heavily photoshopped, too much imho. But maybe it's the web downsizing.

davesee
Like?
In reply to SkyDreamer, May 8, 2012

Oh yeah? I thought I kept it fairly modest. Didn't totally eliminate the pores or anything.

Hmm. Now you've got me thinking. Maybe I'll lower the opacity of that layer a bit because it looked pretty good without it anyway.

edit went back and lowered it to 50% and you're right- it looks better. I guess I'd been staring at the image too long and lost my personal reference point on skin softening.

davesee
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, May 8, 2012

All backgrounds are great for their own reasons, but I tend to gravitate toward this charcoal-ish one. If you don't light it, it can be nice and dark, even almost black, or you can light it up and get another effect. It's fairly versatile and makes colours really pop while at the same time is easy on the eyes.

Photog74
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?

I think I can see the reflection of the gridded octabox and one of the reflectors - probably the second one you mention - in the leading eye.

Deleted-pending
Like?

davesee wrote:

All backgrounds are great for their own reasons, but I tend to gravitate toward this charcoal-ish one. If you don't light it, it can be nice and dark, even almost black, or you can light it up and get another effect. It's fairly versatile and makes colours really pop while at the same time is easy on the eyes.

Thanks for the input. Is their any better material than muslin that you would go for ?
How do you stretch yours ? (the one of your photo seems super flat)

snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

davesee wrote:

Alienbees B1600 into a gridded octabox up right for the key light, B800 into a small gridded strip box back to the left for rim, B800 with the standard reflector and a honeycomb grid for the background.

She held a smallish silver reflector in her lap to bounce fill light up and there was another big silver reflector to the right to bounce some of the rim light back onto her hair.

Same results using the pop up flash you think?

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

davesee
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, May 8, 2012

Oh- that's a nine foot wide paper roll. I like my backgrounds big and inconvenient. Hahaha.

davesee
Like?
In reply to snapper1967, May 8, 2012

Most certainly! Usually I just set the lights up to impress clients and don't even turn them on.

Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,216
Like?

Why not shoot @ f/8 or 11 to get both eyes in focus?

davesee wrote:

-- hide signature --

Philip

Deleted-pending
Like?

davesee wrote:

Oh- that's a nine foot wide paper roll. I like my backgrounds big and inconvenient. Hahaha.

cool

davesee
Like?
In reply to Flashlight, May 8, 2012

Yeah, I usually do shoot at f8 for this kind of thing but felt like shooting at f4 just to change things up a bit. See what it would look like and all that. I've been in a bit of a rut lately and wanted to get out of my usual techniques (with the camera, lighting and Photoshop...).

Flashlight wrote:

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?

I like it - where's my D800 ?

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Flashlight, May 8, 2012

Flashlight wrote:

Was thinking the same thing. While the shallow DOF looks cool, most beauty shots have both eyes in sharp focus. I like the lighting, the pose, but the right eye is distracting. This type of pose actually requires you to stop the lens down more than normal because the camera is very close, DOF is limited. If she had been facing you, or turned her head 7/8th, you could have maybe gotten away with f4.

Good job.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
argh69
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?

i do not see anything different in this image than can be taken with any other dslr on the market. what exactly are you trying to show with the d800?

and why would you use F4 when it should have been about f9? only one eye is in focus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads