Do you use pop-up flash on your D800

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
Wahoo
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
Do you use pop-up flash on your D800
May 8, 2012

I am considering buying either the D800 or the Canon 5DmkIII. One obvious difference is the absence of built-in flash on the Canon. I guess Canon thinks any self-respecting professional or serious enthusiast would always use auxiliary flash instead. How many of you with the D800 use the pop-up for fill-in flash and find it important to have that capability? Or not?

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,216
Like?
CLS
In reply to Wahoo, May 8, 2012

It's very useful as a trigger to the CLS system. So you have a real flash off camera which is triggered by the popup that doesn't itself contribute to the exposure. This negates the use of another flash on the camera just to fire the remote flash.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 575
Like?
Re: Do you use pop-up flash on your D800

I returned the 5dm3 and went with the d800 as Nikon has a better flash system and the built in flash comes in handy at times. Yes the d800 is not a point and shoot camera and yes I have an sb-700 but sometimes I don't have it with me and even though the camera has good ISO I still find myself in a scenario where I may need the pop up even for just fill flash. Not to mention it acts as a remote for an external flash where as with canon you have to buy a remote trigger. Had the ex430 with canon and the Nikon sb-700 is worlds better.

Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?

I use it as a flash commander. Major size and weight advantage over having an external commander.

If you don't need it, don't use it.

Christian Wagner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546
Like?
In reply to Richard Spangler, May 8, 2012

Richard Spangler wrote:

I returned the 5dm3 and went with the d800 as Nikon has a better flash system and the built in flash comes in handy at times. Yes the d800 is not a point and shoot camera and yes I have an sb-700 but sometimes I don't have it with me and even though the camera has good ISO I still find myself in a scenario where I may need the pop up even for just fill flash. Not to mention it acts as a remote for an external flash where as with canon you have to buy a remote trigger. Had the ex430 with canon and the Nikon sb-700 is worlds better.

Slightly off topic but can I ask you about hte 700? Recent Canon convert debating between the 700 and 910, not sure if I need the power of the 910 but who knows. Any thoughts?

And to the OP, this is part of the reason I too switched from Canon. Had the 5Dc since it came out and missed an onboard flash. And as mentioned by others, the ability to control off cam flashes with this is a very nice feature.
--
Chris

Wahoo
Like?
Re: CLS
In reply to Flashlight, May 8, 2012

Good point.

David H Dennis
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?

I think it depends on your style of photography more than anything else. Did you use pop up flash on your previous camera? Were you satisfied with the results?

I own a D300 and only use the popup flash on it when it is absolutely necessary to get something vaguely resembling an image. I don't like the look of flash photography, especially in venues where it is necessary to get the image - to me, it really detracts from the atmosphere of the photo.

I borrowed a D3S and didn't notice its lack of pop-up flash at all. Of course this is because of its supreme low light performance, but testing shows pretty good low light ability in the D800 up to about 25800.

On the other hand, I know at least one girl who believes pictures of her are more attractive with flash since it tends to blow out what she sees as the less attractive aspects of her face.

I am getting a D4, which of course has no flash. I am considering getting a continuous LED light attachment for about $130 (including a special bracket that lets me move it around). This will let me see the lighting environment I'm actually shooting and let me fine tune my look. This seems to me like the lighting solution of the future and you might want to consider something like that in lieu of flash. It can also be dimmed and is therefore a lot less obtrusive to my shooting environment and subjects. As a special bonus it will also work for video, since it's continuous.

Hope that helps.

D

David H Dennis's gear list:David H Dennis's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Flashlight
Like?
BTW

You can put this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410445-REG/Nikon_4905_SG_3IR_IR_Panel_for.html

in front of the popup to avoid reflection of the popup in eyes, glasses, bottles etc.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Flashlight
Like?
In reply to David H Dennis, May 8, 2012

David H Dennis wrote:

I don't like the look of flash photography

This is often true when you just hammer the flash forward directly from camera. But most painters won't just throw tubes of paint at the canvas either

-- hide signature --

Philip

Wahoo
Like?
In reply to David H Dennis, May 8, 2012

Yes, I have had a degree of success with built-in flash but, at the same time, I want to take advantage of the low-light capabilities of the new cameras to do as much without flash as possible. Thanks for the tip about the LED lighting.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,451Gear list
Like?
Here is the thing...

For critical work you are better having an external flash or better yet, multiple flash units.

For casual quick shots it has always been a pain in the butt to pull out a large flash unit, fix it like a bayonet onto the camera, and then grab that quickie shot, which that moment is usually lost by that time.

While I miss the full-featured controls of a pro body Nikon, for casual shooting you can't beat the smaller form factor of the D800 and having a pop-up flash is just icing on the cake.

If the pop-up flash is not enough you can always drag out the big flash and do it right.

Conclusion:

While the pop-up flash is not perfect, the cost of having it is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
fill flash in a pinch (nt)

Wahoo wrote:

I am considering buying either the D800 or the Canon 5DmkIII. One obvious difference is the absence of built-in flash on the Canon. I guess Canon thinks any self-respecting professional or serious enthusiast would always use auxiliary flash instead. How many of you with the D800 use the pop-up for fill-in flash and find it important to have that capability? Or not?

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Wahoo
Like?
Re: Here is the thing...
In reply to user_name, May 8, 2012

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks.

Dennis DH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Re: Here is the thing...

I have five Nikon flashes and I do use them a lot. I use the pop up flash as a commander for firing the other flashes and it works flawlessly

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,707
Like?
+1 (nt) ... Re: CLS

Flashlight wrote:

It's very useful as a trigger to the CLS system. So you have a real flash off camera which is triggered by the popup that doesn't itself contribute to the exposure. This negates the use of another flash on the camera just to fire the remote flash.

-- hide signature --

Philip

-- hide signature --

Un saludo.

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,707
Like?
No - only with SB-800 (NT)

Wahoo wrote:

-- hide signature --
GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?

I really hate using CLS in the desert sun in CLS mode. It just won't work for me, sometimes only 2 feet is in operable which is pathetic. Same for any light-operated strobe: Either it won't work at all (CLS), or it will fire repeatedly if the sun blinds the sensor when the thing is turned on. Only thing that works under the desert sun seems to be the RF Pocket Wizards.

One thing I have gotten in trouble with the built-in (when I can use it indoors) is that the size of the front of the lens or lens hood often cuts off the lower portion of the picture in a dark semi-circle. If I put on the SB-900 or similar, then it covers that built-in foo-pah as it sits higher than the built-in. Most of my f/2.8s get cut-off by the built-in. Aside, wish they would have positioned the internal flash higher on the body to also clear the 24mm PC-E lens operations too and so they would not hit the body when rotated and I could turn the knobs easier.

Back to the PW again...

Mack

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
+1 Re: fill flash in a pinch (nt)
In reply to Jogger, May 8, 2012

You can dial it back so that it just does remove a bit of shadow around the face. I saw it done really well just yesterday. If not for the highlight in the eyes I would not have known flash had been used with just a casual look.

tarnish
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469
Like?
Don't buy that

Flashlight wrote:

You can put this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410445-REG/Nikon_4905_SG_3IR_IR_Panel_for.html

in front of the popup to avoid reflection of the popup in eyes, glasses, bottles etc.

It's just one more thing taking up space in the camera bag. Use the menu instead.

Page 303: Set the built in flash's power level to "---" and you will have this behavior:

"The built-in flash does not fire, although remote flash units do.
The built-in flash must be raised so that it can emit monitor
pre-flashes."

Although there are times when you want to get some sparkle from people's eyes or off of shiny parts of objects you are photographing. In this case set the exposure comp level on the built in flash to -1.7 or thereabouts.

Flashlight
Like?
Re: Don't buy that
In reply to tarnish, May 8, 2012

tarnish wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

You can put this:

It's just one more thing taking up space in the camera bag. Use the menu instead.

Page 303: Set the built in flash's power level to "---" and you will have this behavior:

"The built-in flash does not fire, although remote flash units do.
The built-in flash must be raised so that it can emit monitor
pre-flashes."

Although there are times when you want to get some sparkle from people's eyes or off of shiny parts of objects you are photographing. In this case set the exposure comp level on the built in flash to -1.7 or thereabouts.

It does say "The built-in flash does not fire" but this is of course rubbish. If the flash didn't fire the other flashes are not told to release the main flash. What they mean is "The built-in flash does not contribute to the exposure". It does fire and gives a tiny spotlight in eyes, glasses, bottles etc. as I said before.

If you find it does take up to much room in your bag that's your choice. The IR shield does make the reflection of the commander invisible to the camera. I didn't try but I'm not convinced the flash exposure compensation has effect when you choose "--" in commander mode.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads