Would you return the NEX-5n in this situation ?

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
Catalin Stavaru
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
Would you return the NEX-5n in this situation ?
May 8, 2012

Hi,

We were not used to this kind of customer rights in my country (Romania) until recently, but when I bought the NEX-5n they told me that I can return it in 30 days with no questions asked. I have like 7 days until the 30 days are up.

I just learned that the NEX-F5 will launch this summer, not sure when but probably sooner than expected. I kind of hate when I buy a device that gets replaced after 2-3 months.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-a-sony-nex-f5-is-also-coming-this-summer/

What I don't like about the 5n is the fact that it overheats rather soon when filming (6-7 minutes into filming on a hot day and I see a temperature symbol on the screen - didn't try to see when the camera actually stops filming). It also has that clicking issue (which is not nearly as bothering as I first thought). The size is OK (just ! - still prevents me from taking it with me anywhere - and I only bought the big 18-55 lens), but since the Olympus launched the E-M5 (out of my budget though) I kind of realized that m43 will soon catch up with APS-C leaving us with smaller and truly pocketable cameras at the same image quality.

So, should I return the NEX-5n and wait for the new model instead ? Is it "ethical" to return it for my reasons ? Feels awkward to play with a camera for 3 weeks and then receive all the money back. I must confess I am a technology junkie and I like to have the newer (and hopefully with no flaws) technology.

Thanks !

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
turnschuh
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you return the NEX-5n in this situation ?
In reply to Catalin Stavaru, May 8, 2012

According to the same source (release chart leaked with the 3f and a37) there wont be any 5f this year.

turnschuh's gear list:turnschuh's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?

F3 is not a replacement of 5N, I think it should replace the C3.

I think 5N is still a better camera of the two. I just bought a refurbished 5N($470 with twin lens) and I am not regretting the purchase.

Catalin Stavaru
Like?
In reply to ttan98, May 8, 2012

The information is about the NEX-F5, not F3.

ttan98 wrote:

I think 5N is still a better camera of the two. I just bought a refurbished 5N($470 with twin lens) and I am not regretting the purchase.

gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?

The most important question will be: Do you like the Nex5 you have?

The Next camera may be announced this summer and released this fall, so do you want to wait the summer without camera? And that is you are basing your thoughts on a rumor side, nothing known of the new camera, so think before you take your dissision.

The "smaller" m43 camera's are only pocketable with the pancake lenses, that are all, bu one, primes. With the 16mm, and the two Sigma lenses the Nex will be (almost) as pockatable as any m43 camera, but will you realy put a $$$ camera in just your pocket?

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 5,872
Like?

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

Hi,

We were not used to this kind of customer rights in my country (Romania) until recently, but when I bought the NEX-5n they told me that I can return it in 30 days with no questions asked. I have like 7 days until the 30 days are up.

I just learned that the NEX-F5 will launch this summer, not sure when but probably sooner than expected. I kind of hate when I buy a device that gets replaced after 2-3 months.

I think this refers to the "computer summer" which ends in October or November.

I would keep the 5N - you can shoot thousands of good photos on it before the next model is in the shops.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?
Strange polices some countries

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

Hi,

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-a-sony-nex-f5-is-also-coming-this-summer/

What I don't like about the 5n is the fact that it overheats rather soon when filming (6-7 minutes into filming on a hot day and I see a temperature symbol on the screen - didn't try to see when the camera actually stops filming). It also has that clicking issue (which is not nearly as bothering as I first thought). The size is OK (just ! - still prevents me from taking it with me anywhere - and I only bought the big 18-55 lens), but since the Olympus launched the E-M5 (out of my budget though) I kind of realized that m43 will soon catch up with APS-C leaving us with smaller and truly pocketable cameras at the same image quality.

So, should I return the NEX-5n and wait for the new model instead ? Is it "ethical" to return it for my reasons ? Feels awkward to play with a camera for 3 weeks and then receive all the money back. I must confess I am a technology junkie and I like to have the newer (and hopefully with no flaws) technology.

Thanks !

From where I'm sitting I find it very strange you can do this in some countries. Here if you pay for it, its yours and thats it. Unless something goes wrong with it, then we are well covered, but not just because....well theres a rumour of a new camera around the corner

Danny.
http://www.birdsinaction.com

http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

ttan98 wrote:

yes I mean Nex F3, from what I can gather from the rumoured "spec" it should replace C3.

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657Gear list
Like?

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

So, should I return the NEX-5n and wait for the new model instead ?

There's always better around the corner but my old NEX-5 is still great (and I also own a 7).

Is it "ethical" to return it for my reasons ?

If you have to ask this, you know the answer.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Catalin Stavaru
Like?
In reply to ttan98, May 8, 2012

Come on...the discussion and the latest rumor is about the F FIVE (5), not F THREE (3) I know you mean F3, but it has nothing to do with this discussion...

ttan98 wrote:

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

ttan98 wrote:

yes I mean Nex F3, from what I can gather from the rumoured "spec" it should replace C3.

Catalin Stavaru
Like?
In reply to ProfHankD, May 8, 2012

I really don't know the answer. I guess I'm wondering myself about ethics because I didn't benefit from such return policy until now, it's new to me. For example, I didn't expect to be able to only film 7 minutes on a warm day (not even very hot - like 25 Celsius) and have the thermometer icon appear on screen. The clicking issue I knew about beforehand, but still...it's an issue I would prefer not to live with.

I read on these forums from a lot of people returning their cameras or lenses for "not being what they hoped for".

ProfHankD wrote:

If you have to ask this, you know the answer.

burkm
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?

If you are not satisfied with what you got, return it.

The 5F is supposed to be better in some respects compared to its predecessor 5N, so why take the risk ?

You are free to reorder a 5N if you decide different afterwards. You might see the price of the 5N drop even further after the introduction of the 5F, which is supposed to arrive in fall 2012.
So don't take a chance...

richg101
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?

I can't see how the 5n can be improved on. not within a year of its release. there have been no technological breakthroughs worth including in an update model. if there were, canon and nikon would release update models every year too, discontinuing the previous.. but yet we still see the 550d as a current model. don't fall fowl to sony's marketing strategies. the camera world doesnt move as fast as the idiotic pc upgrade situation, no matter how much the silly rumors sites seem to say it does.

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657Gear list
Like?
Morality and video overheating

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

I really don't know the answer.

I read on these forums from a lot of people returning their cameras or lenses for "not being what they hoped for".

Clearly, the fact that you're uncomfortable with it means something inside you thinks it isn't quite moral... and I share that feeling. Does the law allow it? Apparently, yes where you live. Do lots of people do this? Of course. As I've discovered from being a foster parent, lots of people do evil things to their kids too. That doesn't make it right.

The reason such generous return laws are there is usually to deal with things like verbal, undocumented, false claims made and pressure imposed by sales people. It doesn't sound to me like you were an unsuspecting victim of an unscrupulous sales person. You're just having a touch of buyer's remorse because the expensive camera you bought is only really close to perfect, and there might be a truly perfect one out "real soon now."

If it is any consolation, I even had the same uneasy feeling about buying my NEX-7. By the time NEX-7 were actually available for me to buy, there were rumors all over the place that a full-frame mutation of it was in the works... and I'd certainly prefer that. However, think of all the photos I will have taken with my NEX-7 between when I got it and when (if?) that FF camera becomes available.... Overall, I think you'll really appreciate having the NEX-5n. It is a great camera.

Incidentally, your biggest complaint -- the short duration for video due to heating -- annoys me too on the NEX-5/7. Keeping the camera off until you start shooting video, using the rear display pulled-out from the camera back when shooting video (especially on the 5), and even using a manual lens, all extend shooting time before overheating. I have thought about kludging a simple Peltier cooler (is that what Sony uses in their E-mount video cameras?). However, things like kid's performances tend to be 45-120 minutes long, which even a cooled NEX 5/7 couldn't do thanks to firmware restricting video to sub-30 minute clips.

The alternative, just recording the few segments your kid is in, usually has segments short enough to avoid overheating. I tend to stick a little HD camcorder with a big battery on a tripod to record whole performances and use my NEX-5/7 for stills and shorter clips, which also facilitates editing into more professional-looking two-camera sequences. Actually, most serious video is shot in segments that are way less than 5 minutes each and then edited together, so the limitation is not very significant for serious movie shooting... if 1080 is still considered "serious." Maybe we should all wait just a little longer before buying/using a still camera so we can get one that does 4K video?

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads