Configuring Review OM-D

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Configuring Review OM-D
May 8, 2012

Picture review was coming up in the viewfinder. Ie you take a picture and instead of the VF showing you what is happening in front of you it has the picture you took. That's totally unacceptable behaviour to me (I never want the VF to show other than what is happening in front of me, apart from anything else shooting around cliffs that's dangerous ), so I switched off review, but I've found that's very annoying when you are shooting on a tripod!

Is there anyway of setting the camera so that the review always always   ALWAYS appears on the backscreen and nowhere else?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 31,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Picture review was coming up in the viewfinder. Ie you take a picture and instead of the VF showing you what is happening in front of you it has the picture you took. That's totally unacceptable behaviour to me (I never want the VF to show other than what is happening in front of me, apart from anything else shooting around cliffs that's dangerous ), so I switched off review, but I've found that's very annoying when you are shooting on a tripod!

Is there anyway of setting the camera so that the review always always   ALWAYS appears on the backscreen and nowhere else?

Don't know how to do it, but it can be done. It's how the EM5 I was playing with tonight was setup to be.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

I'd be interested in seeing this too. You can leave it on and half-press the shutter immediately after taking a photo to return to live view.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,663
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

As far as I can tell there is no way to have both the EVF and screen running at the same time. You can turn off review and then use the Playback button, this will always playback the image on screen, but as soon as the screen turns on the EVF turns off.

There is an "Auto" review option that will switch from EVF review to screen review after 2 seconds or so, but again the EVF is turned off as soon as the screen is turned on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

The alternative way around this is to set "Rec View" to "Off", and then just click the blue play button on the back as you take your eye away from the viewfinder to see the image on the LCD. The camera will automatically revert to live view when you put your eye up to the viewfinder, seems almost workable...

There really should be "Review 8" option for "Rec View" which works properly. That is, if you take your eye away from the EVF, it will show you the last image taken on the LCD (for 8 seconds)...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digifan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,157
Like?
Re: Review mode
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

...was setup the way you want it in it's factory default state on my OMD.

I've been pleasantly surprised I didn't get review in the EVF because that was how the Pro1 (my last EVF camera 2003) and the Fuji S602Z worked back in the day I had them.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Isabel Cutler
Forum ProPosts: 14,310
Like?
...and I prefer it in the viewfinder...
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

...as a result of aging eyes that don't detail all that well, even with my eyeglasses in the closeup zone.

Being able to adjust the diopter so that I can review my pictures in the viewfinder works best for me.

Isabel
--

http://www.pBase.com/isabel95
http://isabel95.zenfolio.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Digipets/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,237Gear list
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

That's totally unacceptable behaviour to me (I never want the VF to show other than what is happening in front of me, apart from anything else shooting around cliffs that's dangerous ),

I've learned the hard way not to walk with the eye behind the VF. I'm surprised you do it at all, especially cliffside - that's dangerous, period. But we all do things we think we're better at than others, until. . . [g].

Is there a need to immediately see the image review that can't be had by pressing the review button? Why is having to adapt to something different always so dramatic?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man
.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to coroander, May 8, 2012

coroander wrote:

The alternative way around this is to set "Rec View" to "Off", and then just click the blue play button on the back as you take your eye away from the viewfinder to see the image on the LCD. The camera will automatically revert to live view when you put your eye up to the viewfinder, seems almost workable...

That's hwat I do, but it makes tripod work very confusing.

There really should be "Review 8" option for "Rec View" which works properly. That is, if you take your eye away from the EVF, it will show you the last image taken on the LCD (for 8 seconds)...

Yes. Obvious to me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
So, short of a factory reset
In reply to digifan, May 8, 2012

How do I get it back?

digifan wrote:

...was setup the way you want it in it's factory default state on my OMD.

I've been pleasantly surprised I didn't get review in the EVF because that was how the Pro1 (my last EVF camera 2003) and the Fuji S602Z worked back in the day I had them.

-- hide signature --

Digifan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Bob Tullis, May 8, 2012

I'm happy to give adapting to different things a go. Sometime, having adapted, I prefer them and sometimes I want to go back as I was...

Bob Tullis wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

That's totally unacceptable behaviour to me (I never want the VF to show other than what is happening in front of me, apart from anything else shooting around cliffs that's dangerous ),

I've learned the hard way not to walk with the eye behind the VF. I'm surprised you do it at all, especially cliffside - that's dangerous, period. But we all do things we think we're better at than others, until. . . [g].

Is there a need to immediately see the image review that can't be had by pressing the review button? Why is having to adapt to something different always so dramatic?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man
.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PapaRappa
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
MySets for now?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

coroander wrote:

The alternative way around this is to set "Rec View" to "Off", and then just click the blue play button on the back as you take your eye away from the viewfinder to see the image on the LCD. The camera will automatically revert to live view when you put your eye up to the viewfinder, seems almost workable...

That's hwat I do, but it makes tripod work very confusing.

The way you describe it is how I would want it as well...no point in potentially missing shots because you're chomping your last photo in the viewfinder each time. Have you considered using MySets for now to help you sort out the camera for viewfinder or tripod shooting? On my E-5 I had MySet 4 set up for tripod shooting and included things like IS Off, Anti-Shake, etc. and adding image review on to that seems like it would help your situation.

-- hide signature --

PapaRappa

 PapaRappa's gear list:PapaRappa's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
The trouble with MySets
In reply to PapaRappa, May 8, 2012

is they are subsets of other sets. So let's say you find something really clever or really annoying and change it in one, you have to change all the rest.

So I only set up things like that when I have the basic camera sorted out exactly. A point I have nowhere near reached yet...

PapaRappa wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

coroander wrote:

The alternative way around this is to set "Rec View" to "Off", and then just click the blue play button on the back as you take your eye away from the viewfinder to see the image on the LCD. The camera will automatically revert to live view when you put your eye up to the viewfinder, seems almost workable...

That's hwat I do, but it makes tripod work very confusing.

The way you describe it is how I would want it as well...no point in potentially missing shots because you're chomping your last photo in the viewfinder each time. Have you considered using MySets for now to help you sort out the camera for viewfinder or tripod shooting? On my E-5 I had MySet 4 set up for tripod shooting and included things like IS Off, Anti-Shake, etc. and adding image review on to that seems like it would help your situation.

-- hide signature --

PapaRappa

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim F 101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

I turned off auto-review on my E-P1 altogether; the OM-D ought to have a similar menu option. It should come up in the menu with the wrench icon. If you don't want the viewfinder to show a review when you specifically press the review button, well, I doubt that most EVF makers have thought much about that possibility.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Tim F 101, May 8, 2012

I want it the same as any normal camera - the viewfinder shows me what I am shooting, the backscreen shows me what I shot. Is that unreasonable?

Tim F 101 wrote:

I turned off auto-review on my E-P1 altogether; the OM-D ought to have a similar menu option. It should come up in the menu with the wrench icon. If you don't want the viewfinder to show a review when you specifically press the review button, well, I doubt that most EVF makers have thought much about that possibility.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,447Gear list
Like?
A related question about image review
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

Is there any way to get the image to come up in the EVF when you hit the review button? It seems to always come up in the LCD even if you have the EVF up against your eye.

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,893Gear list
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

I think I've read that the behavior is different second whether the eye sensor is activated or not; may be that is the source of your problem.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I want it the same as any normal camera - the viewfinder shows me what I am shooting, the backscreen shows me what I shot. Is that unreasonable?

Tim F 101 wrote:

I turned off auto-review on my E-P1 altogether; the OM-D ought to have a similar menu option. It should come up in the menu with the wrench icon. If you don't want the viewfinder to show a review when you specifically press the review button, well, I doubt that most EVF makers have thought much about that possibility.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

 rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 8, 2012

I want the eye sensor activated, and reviews to always appear on the backscreen. I really don't think that is an outlandish expectation.

rrr_hhh wrote:

I think I've read that the behavior is different second whether the eye sensor is activated or not; may be that is the source of your problem.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I want it the same as any normal camera - the viewfinder shows me what I am shooting, the backscreen shows me what I shot. Is that unreasonable?

Tim F 101 wrote:

I turned off auto-review on my E-P1 altogether; the OM-D ought to have a similar menu option. It should come up in the menu with the wrench icon. If you don't want the viewfinder to show a review when you specifically press the review button, well, I doubt that most EVF makers have thought much about that possibility.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: A related question about image review
In reply to Michael Kaufman, May 8, 2012

As I understand it, yes, but not with they eye sensor functioning. I've not tested that because I want the eye sensor - that's essential.

Michael Kaufman wrote:

Is there any way to get the image to come up in the EVF when you hit the review button? It seems to always come up in the LCD even if you have the EVF up against your eye.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leo9
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Re: Configuring Review OM-D
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 8, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I want the eye sensor activated, and reviews to always appear on the backscreen. I really don't think that is an outlandish expectation.

No it's not unreasonable to expect. Say you have the auto review time set to 3 seconds. After taking a photo, if you take your eye away from the EVF it should show the photo review in the LCD for 3 seconds (assuming the eye sensor is activated). It doesn't though, it doesn't show any review in the LCD in that scenario.

 leo9's gear list:leo9's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads