Does NX100 have to use Samsung Flash?

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
accent2010
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Does NX100 have to use Samsung Flash?
May 8, 2012

I have a flash used by my old SLR film camera. How do I use it on the NX100? Thanks!

Samsung NX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Auster Pilot
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?
Re: Does NX100 have to use Samsung Flash?
In reply to accent2010, May 8, 2012

Whether it will work will depend on a number of factors.

If the flash was specific to the brand of your old camera there is a possibility it will not work under any circumstances on your NX100. I have a Sigma Flash for Sigma cameras that will not work and a Sigma Flash for Pentax that won't work as well.

However I have an old (1980s) Auto-thyristor flash that works quite nicely in Auto flash mode.

But the only flashes that will work with the NX100 in TTL mode (i.e. it will automatically adjust the flash according to your ISO/Aperture/Shutter Speed) are the Samsung own make ones.

Whether any other flash will work will depend in part on what Firmware version you have installed. My 1980s flash will work on my NX100 (with Firmware 1.10) but will not work on my Wife's NX100 (Firmware 1.12 I think)

There is also a matter of trigger voltage and if you mounted something with too high a voltage you might fry the eletronics in the camera. So you need to research before you present any other flash to the camera.

-- hide signature --

Neil....
The Sky is a Beautiful Place

Auster Pilot's gear list:Auster Pilot's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Samsung NX100 Pentax K-01 Samsung NX1100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zkz5
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?

accent2010 wrote:

I have a flash used by my old SLR film camera. How do I use it on the NX100? Thanks!

Put the camera in M or S mode, shutter speed 1/200 or less.

If the flash trigger voltage is incorrect then it may destroy the camera.

ALMUSAFER
Regular MemberPosts: 282
Like?

Do not use this flash it has a high voltage triger , it will destroy your camera
use samsung brand or metz 20c-2 Automatic not TTL

Auster Pilot
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?
In reply to ALMUSAFER, May 9, 2012

ALMUSAFER wrote:

Do not use this flash it has a high voltage triger , it will destroy your camera

I can't see that the original poster mentioned the flash model concerned so it's not really appropriate to say it will destroy his camera.

However, proper research needs to be conducted to establish the trigger voltage.

This site here will provide valuable information on which models produce which voltage measure:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

It's also possible to measure it yourself.

At the end of the day it may be irrelevant if the latest Firmware has been applied as that prevents most non-Samsung flash units from working on an NX100.
--
Neil....

Auster Pilot's gear list:Auster Pilot's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Samsung NX100 Pentax K-01 Samsung NX1100 +1 more
nx200USER1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
In reply to Auster Pilot, May 10, 2012

While we are on the subject of flash's, is it possible to use a flash as a movie light?

Can the bundled SEF8A flash on the nx200 act as a filler light whilst recording? I read it to have a guide number of 8 with 28mm coverage for photos.

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to Auster Pilot, May 10, 2012

I would have thought it a good idea to assume it will fry the camera until proved otherwise

Auster Pilot wrote:

ALMUSAFER wrote:

I can't see that the original poster mentioned the flash model concerned so it's not really appropriate to say it will destroy his camera.

However, proper research needs to be conducted to establish the trigger voltage.

This site here will provide valuable information on which models produce which voltage measure:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

It's also possible to measure it yourself.

At the end of the day it may be irrelevant if the latest Firmware has been applied as that prevents most non-Samsung flash units from working on an NX100.
--
Neil....

Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Samsung EX2F Pentax X-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads