TG-1 Officially Announced

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,970
Like?
TG-1 Officially Announced
May 8, 2012

I was actually looking forward to this announcement. I have wanted companies to go in a more serious direction with their rugged compacts for a while. However, unless reviews say otherwise, the fact they did not put the XZ-1 sensor in the camera is a real disappointment. I basically want a XZ-1/Panny LX-5/Canon S-100 type in a rugged, waterproof package... and would have gladly paid 100$ more for it.

Obviously I will wait to hear user and professional reviews, but any other initial thoughts?

-TBri

Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Knight Palm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Re: TG-1 Officially Announced
In reply to travelinbri_74, May 8, 2012

You can get a PT-050 underwater housing for the XZ-1.

However, the Tough TG-1 iHS comes with the additional lenses and housing.

• Fisheye Converter Lens

Achieve panoramic wide-angle shots without sacrificing the brightness of the f2.0 lens. Even in darker underwater scenes down to 40ft., you can shoot wider, more dynamic images that beautifully reproduce underwater scenery. Waterproof to 40ft.

• Tele Converter Lens

Telephotography of 1.7x extends your optical zoom from 4x to nearly 7x. Get highly artistic shots that draw attention to the subject by blurring the background, and achieve higher shutter speeds while zooming in close on a subject on the move. Waterproof to 40ft.

• Lens Converter Adapter

Don’t forget the adapter for your Fisheye or Tele Converter Lens! Already have a stash of favorite lens filters? The converter adapter can accommodate any 45mm filter.

• Underwater Housing

40 feet not deep enough for you? Dive to depths of 135 feet (45m) with the new Olympus PT-053 underwater housing, designed specifically for the TG-1 iHS. Featuring a large, responsive shutter button, precision zoom lever and a tight O-ring main seal with safety lock, the PT-053 allows divers, from beginner to dive master, to capture worry-free images of unique underwater scenes.

Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,767Gear list
Like?
Looks great...

Well ...first off ...how is Afghanistan? ...stiil there or back?

..ok to the post ...after 5 some 7 years since I even picked up a compact I bought a panny ts20 to go to songkran with me in Thailand this year ...wow, they have come far since the canon G2 and G3 ...my buddy had an Oly TG-810 waterproof with him ...after coming home and processing some 800 photos so far out of both cameras ...I am highly highly impressed with the Oly TG-810 output ...some absolutely fantastic photos IQ wise that I did not expect ...up to SLR standards ...not quite, but print them 8x10 and smaller and it's tough to tell the difference. Figuring how the TG-810 is a few years old now I'm thinking the TG-1 may be even better and I'm in as of right now.

These little guys are fun fun fun ...take em' with you, throw em' around, go to the bar, give to other people to take pics and not worry ...something I never did with my SLR's ...and that is worth a lot ...using the panny I had, maybe the funnest time I ever had with a camera, and that thing is a total piece of junk, yet, the photos I came home with hold the memories every bit as well as any pic I have ever took with the SLR ...my whole outlook on equipment has changed. Smaller, lighter, easier ...just fun.

Sorry for the story ...but the TG-1 looks great, and even if it is a let down, Oly is going in the right direction, and thats a good thing.

Here's a mix of crappy shots from the trip (the crappier ones are from the panny) ...I would have none of these if I didn't jump on the waterproof bandwagon, so IQ is negligible considering I actually got photos - all for fun:

travelinbri_74 wrote:

I was actually looking forward to this announcement. I have wanted companies to go in a more serious direction with their rugged compacts for a while. However, unless reviews say otherwise, the fact they did not put the XZ-1 sensor in the camera is a real disappointment. I basically want a XZ-1/Panny LX-5/Canon S-100 type in a rugged, waterproof package... and would have gladly paid 100$ more for it.

Obviously I will wait to hear user and professional reviews, but any other initial thoughts?

-TBri

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,970
Like?
Re: Looks great...
In reply to happypoppeye, May 8, 2012

Yep, still in Afghanistan, just agreed to stay another year (July 2013) working for the same NGO... looks like you had an amazing trip. I was out in Thailand and Cambodia just prior to you (returning almost exactly a month ago)

-TBri

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812Gear list
Like?
Re: TG-1 Officially Announced

Here's my still fully functional black Olympus Stylus 1030 SW:

All I can say is that Olympus did a great job on this smooth stone of a camera. My biggest complaints are:

• The paint largely peeled-off in warm pool water

• The lens cover traps in water droplets

• It's slippery when wet (which is why the wrist strap)

• The little metal frame around the lens (harmlessly) fell off

The TG-1 fixes at least the first two problems and looks like a very significant upgrade overall.

Olympus has a lot of competition in this market now, but the TG-1 looks pretty good as a general-purpose rugged camera for where my Sony APS-C cameras will never go. I wonder if the fisheye and other features will make this a serious alternative to the GoPro HD Hero2...?

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
QuicksilverCA
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
Available for pre-order on Amazon now

The Olympus TG-1 iHS is already listed and available for pre-order on Amazon now, listed at $399, to be available in June.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00803WNOK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=digital-cams-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00803WNOK

Jim Holloman
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Re: Is the camera guaranteed to be waterproof?
In reply to travelinbri_74, May 9, 2012

Does Olympus guarantee the camera to be waterproof? I don't see how it could since it would require careful attention by the user to the seals that are exposed when changing the battery and card. Personally, I would clean the seals carefully with a lint free cloth wet with Aerospace 303 and then put a light coat of Telfon gel lubricant on them with a toothpick. But, few people are going to be as careful.

I found on Amazon about a half-dozen feedback postings for the TG-310 indicating that the "waterproof" camera was not waterproof. Having the TG-1 leak would be an easy way to lose $400. I would rather go to Vegas.

I might buy the camera but would be very nervous about putting it in water. While I would like to have some underwater shots, the claim of being "waterproof" doesn't have much value in my mind unless Olympus is able to stand behind it. I would assume that it would be alright to use the camera in light rain -- and that's about it. Furthermore, a minor manufacturing glitch could render the "waterproofing" defective while allowing the camera to function correctly -- until it is submerged.

For some of the Amazon comments, see:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-310-Digital-Optical-2-7-Inch/product-reviews/B004HO59Y2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addThreeStar plus others.

SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,857Gear list
Like?
I'm interested.
In reply to travelinbri_74, May 9, 2012

I haven't bought a compact camera in a decade. The rugged cameras these past years have seemed to be a slight compromise in IQ compared with their not rugged rivals. (ZX1, LX5). I figured this was because of lens design (internal folding type). Maybe it was just my perspective, but this announcement caught my attention because Oly seems to be really taking it up a notch and putting an uncompromised lens on this one.

So am I all wet about previous rugged cameras having optical compromises? Maybe, but Olympus seems to be trying to elevate this segment and I'm in favor. As far as the sealing goes, I trust Oly has very good sealing. Some care and attention is required of course (just like all sealed cameras and housings), but Oly knows what they are doing when it comes to weatherizing cameras.

Cheers,
Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Holloman, May 9, 2012

Jim Holloman wrote:

Does Olympus guarantee the camera to be waterproof? I don't see how it could since it would require careful attention by the user to the seals that are exposed when changing the battery and card. Personally, I would clean the seals carefully with a lint free cloth wet with Aerospace 303 and then put a light coat of Telfon gel lubricant on them with a toothpick. But, few people are going to be as careful.

Look at how beat-up my 1030SW is (a couple of posts above)... it is still waterproof. In fact, it's also kid-proof. I've let kids as young as age 3 use it even in water parks.

Olympus recommends professional cleaning/changing of seals something like once a year, but all it really takes is:

• Wash the camera off with clean water after every exposure to not-so-clean or pool water

• Never change the battery/memory card and resubmerge the camera with seals dirty/wet

The slightest moisture on the seals will wick water through and wreck the camera, but I've never done that and the camera has thus been fine with years of general abuse. It's quite impressive.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
happypoppeye
Like?
Re: I'm interested.
In reply to SirSeth, May 9, 2012

Sir,

SirSeth wrote:

I haven't bought a compact camera in a decade. The rugged cameras these past years have seemed to be a slight compromise in IQ compared with their not rugged rivals. (ZX1, LX5). I figured this was because of lens design (internal folding type). Maybe it was just my perspective, but this announcement caught my attention because Oly seems to be really taking it up a notch and putting an uncompromised lens on this one.

So am I all wet about previous rugged cameras having optical compromises? Maybe, but Olympus seems to be trying to elevate this segment and I'm in favor. As far as the sealing goes, I trust Oly has very good sealing. Some care and attention is required of course (just like all sealed cameras and housings), but Oly knows what they are doing when it comes to weatherizing cameras.

Cheers,
Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

-- hide signature --

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to happypoppeye, May 9, 2012

happy, don't worry. I have ADHD also.

happypoppeye wrote:

Sir,

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
keeponkeepingon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?
In reply to Jim Holloman, May 9, 2012

Jim

This is a common complaint for all waterproof camera manufactures.

If you know of a vendor that guarantees against leaks, let us know.

Thanks!

Jim Holloman wrote:

I found on Amazon about a half-dozen feedback postings for the TG-310 indicating that the "waterproof" camera was not waterproof. Having the TG-1 leak would be an easy way to lose $400. I would rather go to Vegas.

I might buy the camera but would be very nervous about putting it in water. While I would like to have some underwater shots, the claim of being "waterproof" doesn't have much value in my mind unless Olympus is able to stand behind it. I would assume that it would be alright to use the camera in light rain -- and that's about it. Furthermore, a minor manufacturing glitch could render the "waterproofing" defective while allowing the camera to function correctly -- until it is submerged.

For some of the Amazon comments, see:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TG-310-Digital-Optical-2-7-Inch/product-reviews/B004HO59Y2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addThreeStar plus others.

-- hide signature --

Camera's I've owned:
Kodac DC210 DC3400
Canon S100 S50 SD780 Rebel XT Rebel T2i
Casio EX-Z750 EX-Z850 P505 EX-Z80
Pentax *ist DL

happypoppeye
Like?
In reply to SirSeth, May 9, 2012

...stupid site has been messing up all morning

...long post short ...try em out, they may surprise you ...I was in the same boat, hadn't picked up a p&s for 6 or 7 years ...got the cheapest, smallest waterproof I could find last month for songkran in Thailand ...wow, the IQ bl.ws, but so much fun, and the memories of the cruddy pics have are still just as good, if not better because of the fun time I had.

...see if that goes through ...(delete) o crud, (delete)... ...whoops, torrets too
--

SirSeth
Like?
In reply to happypoppeye, May 9, 2012

You're awesome. Sometimes fun is enough. I have a couple of film bodies just because it's fun.

While the TG-1 isn't the smallest or cheapest waterproof camera, it may take the IQ up several notches and retain the fun.

Cheers,
Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads