Photos coming out blurred/out of focus. Maybe lens problem. Help :(

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
pra2veen
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Photos coming out blurred/out of focus. Maybe lens problem. Help :(
May 8, 2012

I bought a new Canon T2i with the 18-135 IS lens in Jan 2012 and lately I have noticed that pictures taken with this lens are out of focus or blurred. I also have a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens and photos taken using the same settings and tripod come out sharp whereas the ones from the 18-135mm lens are not.

^^ Image 1 was taken using the 50mm prime at f/4, 1/3s exposure and ISO200.

^^ Image 2 was taken using the 18-135mm at 50mm zoom, f/5, 1/2s exposure and ISO200.

^^ Image 3 was with 18-135mm at 50mm zoom, f/5, 1/15s, ISO1600.

All these pictures were taken using AutoFocus in Av mode without flash, 2s timer and the same tripod.

The images 2,3 and 4 turned out blurred/out of focus but the image1 is in focus. The lens is only 4 months old and I don't think I dropped it anywhere. The lens worked fine until recently. I hadn't used it in a while and it was sitting in a bag for a month, and when I took it out to use it, it was this way.

Using Manual focus to take pics doesn't help either. The image looks nice in the viewfinder and the LCD display but the picture taken turns out blurred.

I also thought I'd mention that I'm having trouble attaching the 18-135mm lens to the camera. It fits in fine initially and when I start turning to lock it in, half way through the turn it gets really tough to turn. Sometimes I have to yank it into place. The 18mm prime fits easily.

Anyone face a similar issue? What are my options now? Will this be fixed under warranty?

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,612
Like?
Re: Photos coming out blurred/out of focus. Maybe lens problem. Help :(
In reply to pra2veen, May 8, 2012

Here is a thread about someone with the same issue:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=41136680

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?

Nice Randy Jackson bobblehead.

The 18-135 is not that great a lens, but it is not as bad as your images. it clearly needs service. Canon has pretty good customer service. No one here can answer for them on what they will or will not cover. Contact them and find out.

If you want to try to figure out what is going on you can check for front focus. Put several objects in the scene at different depths Use manual focus on an object in the middle and see what ends up on focus.

If the item is new, you might be able to talk the store in to swapping lenses with you, or you can take both the body & lens to them and have them test it a bit.

I would guess your difficulty in attaching the lens might be related to the focus issues. Lenses are not supposed to require "jerking" to get them to seat properly.

Have you inspected the mount on the lens to see if there is something there? (damage, dirt, etc)

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

A couple of thoughts :

Are you too close ? You may simply be be below the minimum distance the lens can focus at.

The 18-135 has IS. As a general rule you need to turn IS off when on a tripod as the IS system can screw up ( to put it simply ) when a tripod is used.

Using Manual focus to take pics doesn't help either. The image looks nice in the viewfinder and the LCD display but the picture taken turns out blurred.

This doesn't really show anything one way or another. The LCD is small and I don't think you'd necessarily see the out-of-focus blurring.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,548
Like?

pra2veen wrote:

I also thought I'd mention that I'm having trouble attaching the 18-135mm lens to the camera. It fits in fine initially and when I start turning to lock it in, half way through the turn it gets really tough to turn. Sometimes I have to yank it into place.

I would take the lens back to the store then and there, before even bothering to take any pictures. This is not supposed to happen - something is clearly wrong with lens mount. Whether the resulting focus issue is the result of that or not is a moot point. You are clearly past return period now, so you should send it to Canon for warranty service.

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,688
Like?

pra2veen wrote:

I bought a new Canon T2i with the 18-135 IS lens in Jan 2012 and lately I have noticed that pictures taken with this lens are out of focus or blurred. I also have a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens and photos taken using the same settings and tripod come out sharp whereas the ones from the 18-135mm lens are not.

All these pictures were taken using AutoFocus in Av mode without flash, 2s timer and the same tripod.

The images 2,3 and 4 turned out blurred/out of focus but the image1 is in focus. The lens is only 4 months old and I don't think I dropped it anywhere. The lens worked fine until recently. I hadn't used it in a while and it was sitting in a bag for a month, and when I took it out to use it, it was this way.

I also thought I'd mention that I'm having trouble attaching the 18-135mm lens to the camera. It fits in fine initially and when I start turning to lock it in, half way through the turn it gets really tough to turn. Sometimes I have to yank it into place. The 18mm prime fits easily.

Anyone face a similar issue? What are my options now? Will this be fixed under warranty?

you should not have to "yank" the lens to get it on the camera! Check the mounting flange. But 1/2 second is really slow and things can happen even with a tripod and delay, Did you turn the IS off when on the tripod? Try again with a faster shutter speed. (increase the ISO). if repeated tests show it out of focus then the lens probably needs repaired

confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
agree ... turn off IS on tripod (n/t)
In reply to Deleted1929, May 8, 2012

sjgcit wrote:
A couple of thoughts :

Are you too close ? You may simply be be below the minimum distance the lens can focus at.

The 18-135 has IS. As a general rule you need to turn IS off when on a tripod as the IS system can screw up ( to put it simply ) when a tripod is used.

This doesn't really show anything one way or another. The LCD is small and I don't think you'd necessarily see the out-of-focus blurring.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
pra2veen
Like?
In reply to beagle1, May 8, 2012

I will go to BestBuy or some other store and ask if I can try out one of their lenses to test the lens mount on my camera. At least that will narrow the search down.

If it matters, I tried to mount the lens again and the white (square) mark on the lens which we use to align the lens with the mount, turns to around the Flash button normally. After that, it gets really tight and needs to be turned in really hard.

Some more observations i just made are:

1. Although the camera thinks it's focused (box turns green in LCD), the objects do look pretty out of focus. I can clearly see this by using digital zoom.

2. Using manual focus to bring all objects completely out of focus, I can see that the blurring itself looks different. It almost seems like I can see some ghosting of the object, in the direction of the light source. I think I know how the out-of-focus objects usually appear. They're usually a soft blur. This one seemed extremely weird. Will try to post a few pics later.

Considering your inputs, I'm guessing one of the following are the reasons:

1. A part of the lens mount on the camera is messed up. The part after where the 50mm prime turns to (because the 50mm prime lens turns and locks in perfectly without any unusual resistance).
2. The lens itself is messed up internally.

p.s: It's a John Axford bobble head

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
50mm prime... [??]
In reply to pra2veen, May 9, 2012

pra2veen wrote:

I will go to BestBuy or some other store and ask if I can try out one of their lenses to test the lens mount on my camera. At least that will narrow the search down.

If it matters, I tried to mount the lens again and the white (square) mark on the lens which we use to align the lens with the mount, turns to around the Flash button normally. After that, it gets really tight and needs to be turned in really hard.

Some more observations i just made are:

1. Although the camera thinks it's focused (box turns green in LCD), the objects do look pretty out of focus. I can clearly see this by using digital zoom.

2. Using manual focus to bring all objects completely out of focus, I can see that the blurring itself looks different. It almost seems like I can see some ghosting of the object, in the direction of the light source. I think I know how the out-of-focus objects usually appear. They're usually a soft blur. This one seemed extremely weird. Will try to post a few pics later.

Considering your inputs, I'm guessing one of the following are the reasons:

1. A part of the lens mount on the camera is messed up. The part after where the 50mm prime turns to (because the 50mm prime lens turns and locks in perfectly without any unusual resistance).
2. The lens itself is messed up internally.

p.s: It's a John Axford bobble head

Sorry to be a pain....

... but the 50mm prime doesn't look particularly sharp tome, either. I mean, nothing like so bad as the zoom, where something is obviously wrong...

... but not so sharp as I would have expected, (bobble head face) given (a) the care you have been taking in your tests, and (b) the level of performance that would be expected at the aperture you selected.

...errr... sorry...[??] It just might be that your zoom lens is not your only problem, possibly [??]

Good luck... (sincere sentiment)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

pra2veen
Like?
Re: 50mm prime... [??]
In reply to Barrie Davis, May 9, 2012

^^ Hmm... I hadn't noticed that the 50mm prime pic wasn't too sharp either. Looks like I'll send the camera to Canon. I'll check the lens mount against one of the lenses in one of the stores (if possible), so that I can be clear about my issue when I speak to Canon.

Thanks

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,460Gear list
Like?
Possibly caused by mirror vibration?

Does the camera have the mirror lockup option?

Results from the shutter speeds being used are particularly vulnerable for vibrations caused by mirror slap. If the camera is equipped, use the MLU feature and try again.......if not then raise the ISO and try to select faster shutter speeds.

Generally speeds between 1/30 and 1 second are adversely affected........anything above or below is fine.
--
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,688
Like?
Re: Possibly caused by mirror vibration?
In reply to Hank3152, May 9, 2012

Hank3152 wrote:

Does the camera have the mirror lockup option?

Results from the shutter speeds being used are particularly vulnerable for vibrations caused by mirror slap. If the camera is equipped, use the MLU feature and try again.......if not then raise the ISO and try to select faster shutter speeds.

Generally speeds between 1/30 and 1 second are adversely affected........anything above or below is fine.
--

I agree, none of these tests should be performed below 1/100 second. But it sounds like the OP has a mounting problem with the 18-135 lens

Michael Edward Rudge
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,715Gear list
Like?
try turn OFF IS
 Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon Pixma MG5350
pra2veen
Like?
Re: try turn OFF IS
In reply to Michael Edward Rudge, May 29, 2012

^^ I did take pics with and without IS. The photos turned out just as bad.

Anyway, I gave my lens to a friend of my brother's, who is a professional photographer. She used my camera with her lenses and found no issue with the camera lens mount and apparently, her pics turned out fine.

It looks like I'll have to send the lens to Canon to get it fixed. Anyone have any idea how to claim a warranty repair for the lens? The Canon website has a link to request a quote for repair, but is there another way to do it if you have a warranty, or are they going to consider the warranty when they include the price?

Thanks again guys.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Re: try turn OFF IS
In reply to pra2veen, May 29, 2012

I gave my lens to a friend of my brother's, who is a professional photographer. She used my camera with her lenses and found no issue with the camera lens mount and apparently, her pics turned out fine.

Given your friend's brother the lens to test.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
blurry 18-135
In reply to Deleted1929, May 29, 2012

I had the same issues with this lens. I got rid of it. I think it a quality control issue, as some people get good copies.

I got acceptable results from it at F8 and that was about it... even though I was just shooting video you could see how soft the image was.

I think it's just a softness issue, if you want to test focus print page 18 of the document below, set your center focus point on it (be sure you have the center point selected in your AF), and take the photo at an angle as shown in the other pages of the document.

http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

Use a tripod, 2 second shutter timer, and mirror lockup if you're shooting a slow exposure.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
pra2veen
Like?
Re: blurry 18-135
In reply to ptl-2010, Jun 16, 2012

I tried using a friend's 55-250mm lens on my camera and it fit without a problem. I also tried my problematic 18-135mm lens on a friend's camera and it wouldn't lock properly. I still had to yank it to be able to lock it in.

I stated the problem and sent the lens to Canon for repair. Canon said that the lens mount was damaged and although my lens is still under warranty, this is considered as Physical Damage and is not covered under the limited warranty.

The quoted price was $130 including shipping but when I called up Canon asking about this repair, a kind lady offered me a 20% discount, so the cost came down to around $110.

I should've bought the SquareTrade Accidental warranty, i suppose.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads