X-Pro1 Samples (Attention Pixel-peepers!!)

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
mervis50
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
X-Pro1 Samples (Attention Pixel-peepers!!)
May 8, 2012

Just noticed our hosts have published samples from the Fuji X-Pro1. It is now possible to compare the results with Pentax products. Just had a quick look myself, and found the K-01 & X-Pro 1 pretty close at 200 ISO, but I know there are people here who love to dig into the images with regard to noise & detail and have the requisite knowledge to make a far more accurate comparison than me.

The X-Pro1, the K5 & the K-01 are all 16mp cameras. It would be nice to have a technical-minded person give an honest opinion of the differences in image quality.

Any takers?
--
My K-01 Contact Sheet: http://k-01vancouver.tumblr.com/
My K-01 Diary: http://kayohonediary.tumblr.com/
K-7 images from Mexico, Guatemala & Belize: http://mesoamerica.tumblr.com/

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,917
Like?
Re: X-Pro1 Samples (Attention Pixel-peepers!!)
In reply to mervis50, May 8, 2012

On the resolution side of things. I'd say it doesn't look as though the X-Pro 1 can keep-up with Pentax's latest sensor performance. Granted, there is always room for optical differences and so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Though off the top, this is what it's looking like.

I also noticed(in RAW) that the Fuji appears to show the effects of NR much earlier than Pentax. However... I'm not quite sure if this is what comes out of the camera or just a repeat of an ACR oversight similar to the K-01. - need to dble check that.

Other than that, I'm curious as to how the Fuji will perform on the DxO Mark side of things. Specifically the DR scale.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mervis50
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?

Okay, I just went back and had another look - at 3200 ISO the K-01 is definitely showing more color noise (the blow-up with the 3 medallion thingies from the bottle label).

They say the Fuji has a special sensor. I have an out-of-town friend who's bought the X-Pro1 and he's coming for a visit soon, so I'll be able to hold this thing in my hands and blast off a few shots.

I like all good cameras. Not trying to start a fanboy war here. I expect the Fuji sensor to be somewhat superior to the Pentax versions (consider the far greater cost of the camera body). Just wondering if the difference is subtle or glaring.
--

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?

Imo it may suggest a bit of a forced comparison as the sensors are quite different and the fuji doesn't have a low pass filter. Almost apples and oranges by this point
--
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984

JohnBee
Like?

mervis50 wrote:

Okay, I just went back and had another look - at 3200 ISO the K-01 is definitely showing more color noise (the blow-up with the 3 medallion thingies from the bottle label).

I agree, there's definitely something good going on with the fuji at high ISO. ie. I see detail that are otherwise completely washed-out with other camera's. I also noticed that the camera seems to do worst in RAW than in JPG. And so I'm thinking there is something funky going on with the RAW version process(ACR Beta?) and so I guess the verdict is still out on that as demosaic engines are updated t better handle the files.

All in all, I'd say the Fuji may prove to live-up to the claim when all is said and done.
Might be interesting to watch as things unfold over the next few weeks.

JohnBee
Like?
In reply to solarider, May 8, 2012

solarider wrote:

Imo it may suggest a bit of a forced comparison as the sensors are quite different and the fuji doesn't have a low pass filter. Almost apples and oranges by this point
--

That's true and just look at the moire performance compared to the K-01?
Looks like Fuji may be on to something major here.

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,071Gear list
Like?
In reply to solarider, May 8, 2012

just had a look. the k5 raw is pretty impresive at iso 6400, the jpeg xpro 1 looks great, compared to 5d111. pentax jpeg not so good 6400 loss o detail. ill will take any of them.

i think its more the focus and lens quality now. sensors are so close. love the realworld shots coming from the xpro1 just somthing about the rendering beautiful transition of tones compared to ALL other cameras, a friend brought one so looking forward to a play.

cheers don

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,741Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, May 8, 2012

johnbee wrote:

I also noticed(in RAW) that the Fuji appears to show the effects of NR much earlier than Pentax.

hehe ..

when the other brand does it, you guys do mention that, huh? (assuming Fuji uses RAW NR -- I don't know, haven't seen the samples).

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,750Gear list
Like?

Too bad though that reports have Fuji with various issues that make their cameras less easy and pleasant to use as other brands for various reasons. Looks like the imaging won't be the major gotcha.

johnbee wrote:

mervis50 wrote:

I agree, there's definitely something good going on with the fuji at high ISO. ie. I see detail that are otherwise completely washed-out with other camera's. I also noticed that the camera seems to do worst in RAW than in JPG. And so I'm thinking there is something funky going on with the RAW version process(ACR Beta?) and so I guess the verdict is still out on that as demosaic engines are updated t better handle the files.

All in all, I'd say the Fuji may prove to live-up to the claim when all is said and done.
Might be interesting to watch as things unfold over the next few weeks.

-- hide signature --

At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984

strata83
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
Resolution and sharpness are not the same thing

I'd say that resolution-wise the X-Pro 1 is a bit better than other 16 MP cameras. I suspect ACR doesn't sharpen X-Pro 1 RAW files by default because there is no AA filter (=no resolution loss). This allows the X-Pro 1 to shine at higher ISOs because sharpening greatly exaggerates noise.

strata83's gear list:strata83's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6
sir_bazz
sir_bazz MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,039Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 8, 2012

ET2 wrote:

johnbee wrote:

I also noticed(in RAW) that the Fuji appears to show the effects of NR much earlier than Pentax.

hehe ..

when the other brand does it, you guys do mention that, huh? (assuming Fuji uses RAW NR -- I don't know, haven't seen the samples).

Assuming it is cooked, I hope you'll remain consistent and mention "cooked" RAW's in every single X-Pro 1 RAW thread that gets created here at DPR.

-- hide signature --

Zooms? pfffft!

sir_bazz's gear list:sir_bazz's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
MaximumIso
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: Resolution and sharpness are not the same thing
In reply to strata83, May 8, 2012
Tom Lusk
Contributing MemberPosts: 971
Like?
Re: Resolution and sharpness are not the same thing
In reply to MaximumIso, May 8, 2012

so maximumiso r u no longer maxiso??? just when u were close to setting an alltime record for number of posts by a nu member in not 1 but 2 forums?

Pity...

SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
RAW NR or another ACR mistake?

The RAW files seem rather implausible. The ISO 3200 RAW has much lower noise than any camera compared, K-5, NEX-7, 5Diii. I'm not buying it.

Either Fuji is employing a hefty dose of RAW NR or the DPReview samples have been processed with NR on.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?

Why? It's not credible to compare the images you have available to you?

DPR spec sheet shooters are puzzling most of the time.

mervis50 wrote:

Just noticed our hosts have published samples from the Fuji X-Pro1. It is now possible to compare the results with Pentax products. Just had a quick look myself, and found the K-01 & X-Pro 1 pretty close at 200 ISO, but I know there are people here who love to dig into the images with regard to noise & detail and have the requisite knowledge to make a far more accurate comparison than me.

The X-Pro1, the K5 & the K-01 are all 16mp cameras. It would be nice to have a technical-minded person give an honest opinion of the differences in image quality.

Any takers?
--

ZZ9
ZZ9
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
MAYBE fuji is just better
In reply to SRT201, May 8, 2012

my Canon 5D MII is a dinosaur camera...same old Mirror like 50 years ago..totally useless

also canon try to earn money without innovation...after 4 years same sensor without almost any improvment over the 5D II.....

go on canon...you will keep your customers sure.....

ps also me that i m a freelance photojournalist ....if someone offer a X-PRO1 for my 5D MII..well i dont think 2 times

also Wide open canon lens are horrible.....50mm 1.4...unusable at 1.4...my Leica SUMMILUX 50mm 1.4 blow away any canon lens...and also the 35mm 1.4 Fuji lens stay on same level as my summilux...

MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
Re: RAW NR or another ACR mistake?

SRT201 wrote:

The RAW files seem rather implausible. The ISO 3200 RAW has much lower noise than any camera compared, K-5, NEX-7, 5Diii. I'm not buying it.

Either Fuji is employing a hefty dose of RAW NR or the DPReview samples have been processed with NR on.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

i thought the exact same thing bc it looks just like the k-01 did when they messed it up, almost no chroma noise. if its legit hey they did a great job with the camera, but the colors are still way to washed out, no contrast. high price too for such poor color.

SRT201
Like?
Fuji is great stuff but...
In reply to ZZ9, May 8, 2012

Fuji is great stuff. I have always been a fan. I love their out-of-the-box thinking with stuff like the SuperCCD's (sampling at 45 degrees) and EXR imagers with different photo site sizes... VERY cool. My old Fuji S7000 (SuperCCD) can still take amazingly sharp shots.

However... physics dictates that there is going to be a significant amount of noise on any normal sensor at ISO 3200. I'm simply not buying the cleanliness of those RAW images at this point.

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
In reply to MaxIso, May 8, 2012

Hmm... washed out colors? NR maybe?

-- hide signature --

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,741Gear list
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

Hmm... washed out colors? NR maybe?

what washed out colors?

Keyboard shortcuts: