HDR Processingn in NEX7

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
h317
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
HDR Processingn in NEX7
May 8, 2012

I have always been shooting RAW with my Nikon DSLR since I got into the hobby. Recently, I got an NEX7 and decided to let the camera do the heavy lifting by shooting JPG. Here is one I shot with the in camera HDR-mid setting:

I am quite happy with the image ... except that, when I closely examined the image, there are some visible "halo" along the structure's edges. The edges of the flag pole and the trees are fine. Wondering if that has to do with the high contrast between the blue sky and the object.

I don't think that is due to the camera shake as I had taken other HDR pictures with 1/50s without any of those flaws. Just want to ask your experience of shooting HDR pictures with NEX7. Usable? Any tricks?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: HDR Processingn in NEX7
In reply to h317, May 8, 2012

That is an awesome pic, I love it !

wll

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,725
Like?

Yes, it's usable and hardly noticeable. Only thing I'd do to this photo is correct the obvious leans. Straighten both the left and right sides to be perpendicular to the ground.
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?

I'm intrigued by the halo. If you look closely, you also see it on the ground.

The only explanation I have is that either you or the spider moved slightly. =;-)

Could you re-shoot on a tripod?

Do you have electronic 1st curtain on? Could you re-try with normal mechanical 1st curtain?

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664
Like?
In reply to DuncanDovovan, May 8, 2012

The spider statue is fascinating. Where is it?

JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?

h317 wrote:

I have always been shooting RAW with my Nikon DSLR since I got into the hobby. Recently, I got an NEX7 and decided to let the camera do the heavy lifting by shooting JPG. Here is one I shot with the in camera HDR-mid setting:

I am quite happy with the image ... except that, when I closely examined the image, there are some visible "halo" along the structure's edges. The edges of the flag pole and the trees are fine. Wondering if that has to do with the high contrast between the blue sky and the object.

I don't think that is due to the camera shake as I had taken other HDR pictures with 1/50s without any of those flaws. Just want to ask your experience of shooting HDR pictures with NEX7. Usable? Any tricks?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

I question the so called 'halo'. It could be a common thing that happens in high contrasting colors and has nothing to do with the camera. An example in everday life is when you put one high contrasting color up against another, like orange and green. Your eye plays a real trick on you with halos. Sometimes if you wiggle the two colors together, they seem to move. Could it be that your pic is playing the same trick.

Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?

The in-camera HDR engine is not that advanced. You will certainly get those halos when you have a high contrast setting.

h317
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to h317, May 9, 2012

The structure is right in front of the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa.

I am not sure if the "halos" is a result of camera shake (shutter speed id 1/320s). This HDR-mid JPG was shot at 1/50s and it was much better:

JimBobsquarepants
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to Lng0004, May 9, 2012

Lng0004 wrote:

The in-camera HDR engine is not that advanced.

Wow that comment says a lot! Progress eh?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads