Are there photo-hosting sights better than PhotoBucket?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 883Gear list
Like?
Are there photo-hosting sights better than PhotoBucket?
May 7, 2012

Now that I have a digital camera, for the first time I want to attach images to postings on several forums. I'm a Mac user.

Is PhotoBucket a good way to start? I won't have volumes of stuff and prefer something that doesn't charge $$$.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
Re: Are there photo-hosting sights better than PhotoBucket?
In reply to bravozulu, May 8, 2012

bravozulu wrote:

Now that I have a digital camera, for the first time I want to attach images to postings on several forums. I'm a Mac user.

If you mean for DPR forums then you already have a gallery. You can access it via your profile.

Is PhotoBucket a good way to start? I won't have volumes of stuff and prefer something that doesn't charge $$$.

The usual suspects are:

Both are free to use. Flickr is the most popular one.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillCarr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, May 8, 2012

Picasaweb is now part of Google+, and it's still free.

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Flickr is of course a good choice too.

To the OP: it's a 'site' as in website, not 'sight.'

bravozulu
Like?
In reply to BillCarr, May 8, 2012

If you would be reading the D7000 manual, the SB700 manual and the SB 800 manual all day long like me, you would spell "hosting sight" funny, too. How about "hosting cite"? Help me, I think I'm going blind.

Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Vernon Snider
Contributing MemberPosts: 811
Like?

Smugmug.com has several good options.
--
Vernon

Bill Hollinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?

I switched to Photobucket when Apple decided to stop supporting their web pages for the second time. That really frustrated me. So far I have not had any problems with Photobucket - it works well and is easy to use.

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
In reply to Vernon Snider, May 9, 2012

Vernon Snider wrote:

Smugmug.com has several good options.

Smugmug is excellent, but part of that is because none of their options are close to free.

bravozulu
Like?
In reply to Bill Hollinger, May 9, 2012

Bill, one reason for me looking beyond PhotoBucket was my difficulty in selecting multiple img images so as to post them together. I was going back and forth from forum to PhotoBucket. It was arduous.

Is there a simple way to accomplish grabbing a few images at the same time?

Also, my D7000 Nikon images are saved raw, but also as jpeg on the second memory chip. I set the quality level at jpeg basic. Is that why my forum postings have moire patterns?

offtraildog
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, May 9, 2012

after being forced off mobileme, i tried flickr and a couple others before settling on smugmug

really like the ease of reorganizing and display options. plus, really easy to add people without having them subscribe, etc.

when compared to flickr pro, only costs $2/month more ($5/month total)

there is a api they offer so you can easily export pics to your smugmug account and select a gallery, etc.

much easier to set options like privacy, etc for each gallery or all galleries

offtraildog's gear list:offtraildog's gear list
Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 +2 more
Bill Hollinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, May 9, 2012

bravozulu wrote:

Bill, one reason for me looking beyond PhotoBucket was my difficulty in selecting multiple img images so as to post them together. I was going back and forth from forum to PhotoBucket. It was arduous.

Also, my D7000 Nikon images are saved raw, but also as jpeg on the second memory chip. I set the quality level at jpeg basic. Is that why my forum postings have moire patterns?

I use RAW too with the D3s, D800E and NEX-7, then convert any I want to put on the web to web jpegs. When I click Upload in Photobucket and navigate to the folder with the images, only the jpegs are highlighted. I click the first image and then hold the shift key down and click the last one I want, and they all load.

I am not wed to Photobucket - I was just incredibly frustrated with Apple for twice kicking us off - I had 1000s of images posted in many different pages, and it will take a very long time to upload them all to new pages. offtraildog, in a post below, likes Smug Mug. I remember looking at it and reading reviews, but I don’t remember why I went with Photobucket instead - I’ll take another look at it.

As far as moire showing - sorry, but I don’t have a clue. Is moire in the RAW and small jpeg too, or does it only show up when loaded to the web?

It is helpful to see what others have found with these site - I assume there are a great many others with the same questions.

Lastly, I have not shifted to the Apple “cloud” yet - can we move the photos and videos at Apple now to it, or will they be lost like the first batch? Also, how long before Apple does something different and we lose whatever is on their “cloud”?

offtraildog
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Hollinger, May 9, 2012

iCloud

i do not believe it is a solution in it's current state. iCloud is initially being marketed as a synchronization service first and a document storage container secondarily.

it simply stores up to the latest 1000 photos you take, making them available to view instantly on any of your IOS devices.

NOTE: you do not need to use iCloud photo streaming to view photos via Apple TV.

I use iCloud to sync all my devices (iPhones, iMac, iPad, Ipods) but have not enabled photostream

I import my pics directly into A3 and use itunes to specify which photos appear on which IOS device I own. I have shot a few photos with my iPhone4 and they are just not worth the effort.

offtraildog's gear list:offtraildog's gear list
Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 +2 more
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, May 10, 2012

bravozulu wrote:

Smugmug has a feature called Collect Photos, where you can mark images in any gallery to be held in a different virtual gallery (instead of copying originals). You could collect images into a virtual gallery and then they would all be in one place for a project.

bravozulu
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, May 10, 2012

Bill, thanks for the tip on multiple image uploads. It makes sense, and of course the same key inputs achieve that in lots of Mac programs. I used it a lot in Pagemaker and Adobe Illustrator.

As to the Moire, it will take a bit of research. Raw Lossless is stored on one chip, JPEG basic in another. I think that I navigated solely to the JPEGs on my computer. The file sizes were relatively small because the Forum that was the target has quite low restrictions on data size. In the hundreds of KBs.

Folks threw a lot of options at me that I have yet to investigate.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads