Tripod Mount for Panasonic 100-300 lens

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268Gear list
Like?
Tripod Mount for Panasonic 100-300 lens
May 7, 2012

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered this tripod mount for my panny 100-300 lens.
http://www.roesch-feinmechanik.de/29701.html

It cost just under $100 us including shipping. I have noticed that my GH2 (and E-M5) vibrate at the slightest touch when attached to even a fairly heavy tripod via the camera body tripod socket.

I have been using the manual remote shutter release when using the tripod. I am hoping that this mount will provide a little more stability by distributing the fore-aft weight better on the tripod head. If not, then that is $100 down the tubes.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 683
Like?
Re: Tripod Mount for Panasonic 100-300 lens
In reply to bgalb, May 7, 2012

Thanks for posting that, good find. No doubt we will hear in due course if it is successful. My solution has been to put the GH2/100-300 combo with OIS ON to steady the EVF image, on a monopod, or even a lightweight tripod, attached to the camera body tripod socket then hold the camera and lens as if it were not on a support. The thinking is this will dampen those troublesome vibrations. It appears to work OK. It will be interesting to discover if the new lens collar tripod mount works better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bgalb
Like?
In reply to axlotl, May 7, 2012

I will be surprised if it works any better than your method. I also wanted this mount so I could balance the weight better for use on my fluid head tripod (this is just my rationalization for spending the money )

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Gary2010
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
In reply to bgalb, May 8, 2012

I am trying to order that same mount. I sent him an email. Is that how you contacted them? Did they take paypal?

thanks

Gary2010's gear list:Gary2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +11 more
bgalb
Like?
In reply to Gary2010, May 8, 2012

Gary2010 wrote:

I am trying to order that same mount. I sent him an email. Is that how you contacted them? Did they take paypal?

Yes, I just used the email link on the site. He replied with price info. I replied back and told him I wanted to order the tripod mount and gave him my mailing address. He sent me an invoice that had his paypal email and price and shipping (total cost 74 euros). I paid thru paypal. He will now mail the mount to me.

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,110Gear list
Like?

bgalb wrote:

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered this tripod mount for my panny 100-300 lens.

It cost just under $100 us including shipping. I have noticed that my GH2 (and E-M5) vibrate at the slightest touch when attached to even a fairly heavy tripod via the camera body tripod socket.

I have been using the manual remote shutter release when using the tripod. I am hoping that this mount will provide a little more stability by distributing the fore-aft weight better on the tripod head. If not, then that is $100 down the tubes.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that a tailor-made mount existed (and since this is labeled "new", there probably wasn't any until recently). I was only aware of somewhat clumsy generic versions that would fit any lens of roughly the same size.

Please report back when you have got it and have tried it out. Like you, I have noticed visibile vibration at the slightest touch with the 100-300 fully extendeded when mounted on a pretty stable tripod via the camera body.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Gary2010
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 8, 2012

A friend of mine bought this mount on eBay.
He really likes it. I will be getting mine too.
Thanks for the info.

Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +11 more
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?

I just bought one of these tripod collars for the 100-300. I was quite lucky to find one on eBay at a decent discount.

The mount is a fine piece of equipment - finely crafted in aluminum and very light. After first trying it out, I am even more impressed by the workmanship and thought put into this. With the included instructions, you loosen the thumb screw, and need to line up a mark on the collar with the red dot on the lens in order to slide it on. The thumb screw only loosens a couple turns and won,t come out. I really like this feature as the collar will never come off the lens accidentally.

Once mounted on the lens, there are 2 indicator marks for landscape and portrait positions. You loosen the thumbscrew and the lens becomes just loose enough for the lens to rotate. Somehow, the lens stays perfectly aligned in the collar when twisting it with the collar loose. Then, there are 2 windows that allow use of the OIS switch in either position.

I am so impressed with this collar that I would,t have any problem with paying full price to order it new. The collar, when mounted, looks and acts like it was a factory included option.

coaltrain's gear list:coaltrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Gary2010
Like?
In reply to coaltrain, May 8, 2012

coaltrain wrote:

I just bought one of these tripod collars for the 100-300. I was quite lucky to find one on eBay at a decent discount.

The mount is a fine piece of equipment - finely crafted in aluminum and very light. After first trying it out, I am even more impressed by the workmanship and thought put into this. With the included instructions, you loosen the thumb screw, and need to line up a mark on the collar with the red dot on the lens in order to slide it on. The thumb screw only loosens a couple turns and won,t come out. I really like this feature as the collar will never come off the lens accidentally.

Once mounted on the lens, there are 2 indicator marks for landscape and portrait positions. You loosen the thumbscrew and the lens becomes just loose enough for the lens to rotate. Somehow, the lens stays perfectly aligned in the collar when twisting it with the collar loose. Then, there are 2 windows that allow use of the OIS switch in either position.

I am so impressed with this collar that I would,t have any problem with paying full price to order it new. The collar, when mounted, looks and acts like it was a factory included option.

And here he is.

Hi Stan,
I am trying to get mine ordered.

You should post a pic of the lens and GH2 on the tripod. It is a beautiful thing.

coaltrain
Like?
In reply to Gary2010, May 8, 2012

I'm working on my tablet right now, but I,ll give it a try.

Edit to add - I just Dan,t figure out how to copy/paste on this thing - I'll post those pics here tomorrow night when I am home.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Anders W
Like?

coaltrain wrote:

Did someone sell a single copy only? Or is there more of it from the same source? If yes, could you please post a link?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
coaltrain
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 8, 2012

I bought from a private party that was selling his 100-300 lens. I was looking at his auction for the lens, and in the description he mentioned that he had another auction going for the collar - found that and it was listed as a 'buy it now - I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger!

I can't believe I actually found one used on eBay!

Anders W
Like?

coaltrain wrote:

I bought from a private party that was selling his 100-300 lens. I was looking at his auction for the lens, and in the description he mentioned that he had another auction going for the collar - found that and it was listed as a 'buy it now - I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger!

I can't believe I actually found one used on eBay!

Congrats! Just a pity there wasn't more of it!

Judging from your description, this really seems like a nicely made piece of equipment. But what about the effect? Does it really help making the camera-lens combo less vibration prone when mounted on a reasonably sturdy tripod?

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?

Looks good and useful, but not cheap

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
coaltrain
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 9, 2012

While I haven't used the mount much yet, just the feeling of proper balance when mounted on a tripod is a huge thing to me. It should absolutely stabilize the camera/lens combo much better than mounting the body to the tripod.

Now, as promised, here are some pics. Please excuse the exposure on a couple of the shots - I was in a hurry and just snapped a couple with my K-5 - afterward I found that I somehow had switched the metering lever from center weighted to fulmatrixix - hence the underexposed black subject.

Gary2010
Like?
In reply to coaltrain, May 9, 2012

I ordered mine today. They are out of stock. Their stock is at the anodizer's. They said they would ship by the 15th and that it takes 5 days to get to the US. Thanks for posting the pics Stan.

bgalb
Like?
In reply to Gary2010, May 9, 2012

My thanks, also, for the photos. Glad I ordered before posting this thread!

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?

Anders W wrote:

bgalb wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that a tailor-made mount existed (and since this is labeled "new", there probably wasn't any until recently). I was only aware of somewhat clumsy generic versions that would fit any lens of roughly the same size.

Please report back when you have got it and have tried it out. Like you, I have noticed visibile vibration at the slightest touch with the 100-300 fully extendeded when mounted on a pretty stable tripod via the camera body.

I got one last year in November or so. It is really well made and now the lens is really sturdy when on a tripod. However it didn't solve my problems with this lens. I'm getting subpar IQ, when shooting at the long end and focusing at far objects. In my case the problem wasn't instability, however the tripod collar helps a lot when focusing the lens. Also it makes a much sturdier combo especially with the tiny G3.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?

Anders,

They don't sell through Ebay (I inquired about it at the time).

Just follow the link on the first mail of this thread ( http://www.roesch-feinmechanik.de/29701.html )
You will find their Email under the Kontakt information (link frame).

I just sent them an Email, asking for price and delivery conditions. They answered me the day after, with very clear information as to how to proceed. After I ordered one, they gave me the information needed to pay through Paypal.

I issued my first mail to them on the 1st of December and the tripod collar was delivered here on the 7th (just checked in my archives).

The tripod as already written by privious posters is extremely well made. Pure German mechanic skills and care. The whole lens and body combo is much sturdier. Without the collar, as soon as I touched the focusing ring, the image would jump in the VF. Now it is perfectly steady. Also the whole combo is much better balanced and I have no fear concerning the fact that the heavy lens could end up wearing out the mount of my G3.

The only reason I'm unhappy now is that I know for sure that the softness I'm getting in pictures isn't due to user error, neither to camera vibration, but to the fact that this is a bad copy of the lens.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 9, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

The only reason I'm unhappy now is that I know for sure that the softness I'm getting in pictures isn't due to user error, neither to camera vibration, but to the fact that this is a bad copy of the lens.

I was lurking, as I'd like to acquire the 100-300. When reading the above, I just wondered if you're finding this while using a filter (such as 'protective')? I suspect the findings are w/o a filter, but had to ask.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads