Help me pick a photo for an art show!

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
nemesix
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Help me pick a photo for an art show!
May 7, 2012

There's a local photography art show that I'm entering this week. Already picked out 2 macros, but I can't decide which other shot to enter. I thought I was going to enter this one in the category of "Photographic Art" (which means heavy photoshop under our local rules):

But I just got it back from printing and the smudged area to the left of the dog's head is quite noticable (to me at least) now that it's 11"x14".

Now I could get it re-printed without taking the leash out to remove the smudge:

But I think the judging might not like the leash.

In fact, I went to the beach this weekend to try and re-produce that moment without the harness and leash, but my dog didn't want to run around (hard to blame her, it was 90 degrees!). I did get this nice shot of her drying off:

And I could edit it to look like this to fit the category:

Alternatively, I could submit the full-color version (which I think I like a bit better, but it's close) and change the category to Animals (although I think they wanted wild animals, not pets)

Anyway, some outside input would be very helpful, which photo seems "best" (they are supposed to give a lot of weight to technical aspects, although a cute subject never hurt!) and any quick edits I could do in photoshop before getting a re-print done. Entries have to be in by May 9th but I have a local one-day printer so we have until tomorrow (May 8th) afternoon.

Thanks in advance to whoever replies!
--
http://www.stevensobelphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevensobel

nemesix's gear list:nemesix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix A303 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
in_focus
Forum ProPosts: 15,961
Like?
Re: Help me pick a photo for an art show!
In reply to nemesix, May 7, 2012

Hard to give you a sound advice, Steven.. following my own 'intuition' I would also pick the very first image (one without leash). Wishing you good luck with the contest ..

Best regards,
--
Bruno

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
windmillgolfer
Senior MemberPosts: 8,550Gear list
Like?
In reply to nemesix, May 7, 2012

Steven, first image is cute, the second probably more interesting and dramatic. Back to the first, not sure how you removed the lead but a copy and paste of the areas above and below should give a cleaner resultant make the surgery less obvious. I find the pasting in of larger, matched, areas (brightness/contrast adjusted if required) work better than cloning / blurring. Stuart

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Mysticwingz
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
In reply to nemesix, May 8, 2012

I really like the first image! I honestly didn't even notice the smudge until you mentioned it. I was too busy looking at her cute face

Mysticwingz's gear list:Mysticwingz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
Lil g
Regular MemberPosts: 469Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mysticwingz, May 8, 2012

I probably would have used the clone stamp to cover the leash with the matching back ground. Zoom in and reduce the opacity and the flow and build up. Always try to use the stamp in the direction of the grain of the background and use a small size brush. I think the image with the leash looks better because the darker background makes the dog stand out more to me. On the other side the leash can be viewed as part of the story created by the moment captured. I sense a dog that has you well trained.

danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,355Gear list
Like?

Boy, Steven, this is a hard one. Both are really good (the leash-less version and the second version of your own dog). Both make me smile, especially the first. But the second I can almost feel the water. I think I'd submit the second. I like the second version than the all color version. Good luck with your decision.
Daniel
--
http://danielsonkin.smugmug.com/

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 +2 more
GMACNEIL
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?

I like everything else in the first picture other than the area where the leash was exorcised. So, my suggestion would be to go with the second picture (including the leash) but give it the same processing you did with the first image. (I don't have a problem with the leash...I don't think it takes away from the viewer's being drawn into the face of the pooch as the focal point of the image.) I think that the "pin hole" vignetting of the second image is more bothersome than is the leash....

All good images though. Give yourself a blue ribbon...and a Falstaff too. (I guess you have to be old enough to understand that bit of humor....)
--
The older I get, the better I was....

GMACNEIL's gear list:GMACNEIL's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30
DutchMate
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,429
Like?
In reply to GMACNEIL, May 8, 2012

Both are great but i would choose the last one i think. I agree with posted before zoom in at 100% and use the clonetool for this stuff. Will give better results allthough more tedious work .
--
maarten

Pap38
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,355
Like?

I prefer the second. The first is good if you correct the area where you “cloned” the leash. The second, for me, has a more dynamic feel to it. It’s always difficult however to understand what judges are looking for.
Good luck!
Pap
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34495676@N08

ysal
Senior MemberPosts: 6,559
Like?

It's so difficult to second guess what the judges will do.... I do like #2 partly because the background is bit darkened and the dog stands out more. Other 3 are also very nice. Can you re-do the cloning on #1? Also the dog's mouth looks a little scary in #4.....
--
yuki

nemesix
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Thanks + Update

First off, thanks again for the help everyone, it is really, um, helping

I decided to get some prints of the third and fourth images, and while they are OK (and my family likes them a lot, so at least they'll get used in the house) they just don't look in focus enough to be winners. I've taken one more crack at getting the clone-stamp right (in the future I'm going to learn how to do this at a higher level, it's such an important skill and I feel really amateurish at it). I also added some color to her tongue, here's what I came up with:

I still have the print of the first shot, so worst case scenario I just have to submit that, but if you guys think this is an improvement I'll go get it printed tonight.

nemesix's gear list:nemesix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix A303 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads