Is the G1x pocketable

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
Yes, pocketable with neoprene pouch
In reply to stevenjames, May 9, 2012

stevenjames wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what if any camera will be an easy, take with me anywhere camera that is easy/light to carry around, non invasive and doesn't scream "PHOTOGRAPHER".

Steve,
My Optech Soft Pouch Digital Series Compact Size neoprene pouch arrived today.

It fits my G1X very easily and well, much more easily than my G12 fit in a smaller version, and it is much easier to take on and off than the Optech video shows: there is no need to turn the pouch inside out to get the camera out, it comes out easily enough.

The pouch is very much more compact than the clunky Lowepro Rezo 60 that I ordered with the camera.

My GV2 Optical Finder, which lives on the camera, has its own small draw bag, and this bag, containing the GV2 fits into the Optech pouch next to the lens, an easy fit. If I were to leave the GV2 on the G!X, they wouldn't fit into the pouch.

And the G!X in the pouch fits easily into my slacks pocket. Since it is in the pouch it will be protected from dust and bumps. it makes a lump, and there is some weight, but it is quite feasible to put the camera in pouch, in my slacks pocket.

This gives me an alternative that I wqs looking for. What is a surprise is how convenient it is to get the camera out of this size neoprene pouch.

I will have to carry a spare battery and spare memory card separately but that is okay, My memory card is 32 GB anyway so I don't expect to have to change it often.

So I am very pleased. I have not ruled out getting a convenient shoulder bag as well. I can't use a belt pouch since I can't wear a belt.

Good luck in your own quest. I hope the above alternative may be of help to you, everyone has his own needs and preferences,

Krugman

krugman's gear list:krugman's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gordonsbuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
Pocketable -- the movie
In reply to stevenjames, May 10, 2012
PaulRivers
Senior MemberPosts: 7,400
Like?
Re: Is the G1x pocketable
In reply to Don_D, May 10, 2012

Don_D wrote:

bigdaddave wrote:

You really should at least try it before you spout stuff like that. It's just plain rubbish

I don't think that Paul owns a DSLR and he is always quick to point out how close compacts are (in some respects) to DSLR performance. He's usually always right as he does his homework, but often gives the wrong impression unless you read the fine print.

Thanks for the comment, fyi, here's someone else saying the same thing I've been saying:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=41467113&changemode=1

GeraldW wrote:

I have the S90, SX230HS, G9, Panasonic FZ150, and a 60D DSLR. I have also owned a G12.

When we travel I take the S90, the SX230HS, and often the FZ150. The DSLR stays home because of the weight, bulk, and attractiveness to thieves. The G9 sometimes travels; but not often.

I got rid of the G12 because it's focal length range is so similar to the S90, and the image quality was not as good as my old G7. The G9 is better still. At lower ISO (like 80-200) it's hard to tell the difference between any of my five cameras when printed as a borderless 8.5" x 11", and that includes the 60D.

However, I always travel with two cameras. Accidents happen, and I want a backup. Also, the second camera provides different properties. For traveling light, I'd take my S90 and the SX230HS. If I was to be gone 7 weeks, I'd definitely want 2 cameras.
--
Jerry

Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 11,579Gear list
Like?
Re: Pocketable -- the movie
In reply to gordonsbuck, May 10, 2012
 Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?

Don_D wrote:

gordonsbuck wrote:

http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2012/05/g1x-pocketable.html

That's a stretch.... LOL..

Yeah baby!

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +8 more
krugman
Like?
pick pocketable
In reply to stevenjames, May 10, 2012

When the camera strap is attached to the case rather than to the camera, the camera is more easily pickpocketed.

I am working on a system with my Optech Neoprene Pouch (Compact Size) where a shoulder strap is attached to the camera, and the neoprene pouch can be stuffed in a pocket when I remove the camera with its shoulder strap.

If you are not exposed to pickpockets, it will be safe to attach the shoulder strap to the case instead of to the camera. Or if the case is bulky that will be necessary since there is no place to put a bulky case.

I am enjoying working on the ergonomics of all this.

Lots of room for individual preferences here as well.

Krugman

Kodak Pixpro S-1
PaulRivers
Like?

Don_D wrote:

gordonsbuck wrote:

http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2012/05/g1x-pocketable.html

That's a stretch.... LOL..

Don
http://www.pbase.com/dond

It's interesting - however, just feel like pointing out that there's a difference between something that "fits" in a pocket, and something you can carry around with any degree of comfort.

When the lx3 came out, I really, really wanted a low light camera (this was before the s90 was even announced). I went to the camera store, and really, really tried to figure out how I could carry it around in my pocket - and could not convince myself, despite my incredible desire to, that I would ever be comfortable carrying it around that way.

I mean...I really, really, really wanted to believe I could make it work...

You could cram an lx3 into the pocket, but actually carrying it that way is another matter. I've seen several people owning xz-1's or g12's say the same thing - technically, it would fit in the pocket. If you're trying to walk 50 feet while carrying other stuff from the car in your hands, you could do it. But it would never be comfortable to walk around for an length of time that way. It's like cramming a brick into your pocket, you might be able to do it, but it's just not going to be comfortable.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,076
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, May 10, 2012

I've never bought a camera, no matter how small, with any intention ever of stuffing it into a pocket. Lucky me!

stevenjames
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, May 11, 2012

PaulRivers wrote:

" It's like cramming a brick into your pocket, you might be able to do it, but it's just not going to be comfortable."
================================================

That's what I was wondering. When I'm not in my work scrubs I'm in cargo shorts or cargo pants so I have those large side pockets and I wonder it the G1x will fit in that.

It not that I want to spend every day after day carrying it that way but want the option if something is going on and I just want to grab the camera and snap a few w/o having to carry the DSLR.

FWIW I'm also considering the Lumix GX1 with a 20mm f1.7 lens.

Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +8 more
Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 11,579Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevenjames, May 11, 2012

stevenjames wrote:

That's what I was wondering. When I'm not in my work scrubs I'm in cargo shorts or cargo pants so I have those large side pockets and I wonder it the G1x will fit in that.

It not that I want to spend every day after day carrying it that way but want the option if something is going on and I just want to grab the camera and snap a few w/o having to carry the DSLR.

Actually I'm thinking the same thing....the G1X is small enough for a cargo or jacket pocket....and that wonderful large sensor....it would be a luxury for me, but what the hell. I'm still considering it for occasional use. If I hadn't just bought the 15-85 for my 40D which I've barely used.

Don
http://www.pbase.com/dond

Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
krugman
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, May 11, 2012

PaulRivers wrote:

It's interesting - however, just feel like pointing out that there's a difference between something that "fits" in a pocket, and something you can carry around with any degree of comfort.

When the lx3 came out, I really, really wanted a low light camera (this was before the s90 was even announced). I went to the camera store, and really, really tried to figure out how I could carry it around in my pocket - and could not convince myself, despite my incredible desire to, that I would ever be comfortable carrying it around that way.

I mean...I really, really, really wanted to believe I could make it work...

You could cram an lx3 into the pocket, but actually carrying it that way is another matter. I've seen several people owning xz-1's or g12's say the same thing - technically, it would fit in the pocket. If you're trying to walk 50 feet while carrying other stuff from the car in your hands, you could do it. But it would never be comfortable to walk around for an length of time that way. It's like cramming a brick into your pocket, you might be able to do it, but it's just not going to be comfortable.

Paul,

Well said and well argued.

But for me, the G!X in an Optech neoprene pouch is very comfortable in the side pocket of my Scottevest windbreaker. After about 15 seconds I forget it is there.

In the summer I may have to resort to a Manfrotto Nano VII or a Crumpler One or Two Million Dollar Home; I want to leave the GV2 finder on the camera while it is in its case.

Krugman

Kodak Pixpro S-1
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,076
Like?
In reply to stevenjames, May 11, 2012

"FWIW I'm also considering the Lumix GX1 with a 20mm f1.7 lens."

I can just see a new thread over on the Panasonic forum--"Is the GX1 with a 20mm lens pocketable?" That should be worth 100 replies.

stevenjames
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 11, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

"FWIW I'm also considering the Lumix GX1 with a 20mm f1.7 lens."

I can just see a new thread over on the Panasonic forum--"Is the GX1 with a 20mm lens pocketable?" That should be worth 100 replies.

-- hide signature --

Its already there!
glad to amuse.

Steve

http://www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

PaulRivers
Like?
In reply to krugman, May 12, 2012

krugman wrote:

Paul,

Well said and well argued.

Thanks.

But for me, the G!X in an Optech neoprene pouch is very comfortable in the side pocket of my Scottevest windbreaker. After about 15 seconds I forget it is there.

In the summer I may have to resort to a Manfrotto Nano VII or a Crumpler One or Two Million Dollar Home; I want to leave the GV2 finder on the camera while it is in its case.

Krugman

If you have something that's comfortable for you - that's great .

Just depends on how big of a pocket you have I guess, lol...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads