Is the G1x pocketable

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
Is the G1x pocketable
May 7, 2012

Can the G1x be pocket carried?
If so would it be in large/side cargo pockets or also typical jean pockets?

Thanks,

Steve
--
http://www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +8 more
gordonsbuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
Re: Is the G1x pocketable
In reply to stevenjames, May 7, 2012

Fits comfortably in my side/cargo pockets; would not have fit the jeans of my youth!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PaulRivers
Senior MemberPosts: 7,400
Like?

The Canon s100 is the largest camera that will fit "comfortably" in a jeans pocket.

While I'm not sure whether the g1x would technically "fit", other smaller cameras like the g12 or the olympus xz-1 are to thick to fit in a jeans pocket with any degree of comfort. Like imagine you're fitting a brick into the pocket - you can fit them in if you're just like opening a door and need a hand free, but it would be really uncomfortable to walk around with them that way.

stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, May 7, 2012

PaulRivers wrote:

The Canon s100 is the largest camera that will fit "comfortably" in a jeans pocket.

Yeah,

I may just have to go for an S95/100.
Will they give decent 8x10?

I've always used SLR's and currently have a D90 and a D3100 which is my "small" camera. I keep a fixed lighweight 35mm f1.8 lens on the D3100 and its not fatiguing to carry around.

Its just that there are times I don't want the bulk.

When I go on multi day motorcycle rides I usually leave the camera at home as cargo space is at a premium. A smaller camera would be nice but I want to get at least decent 8x10s and I just don't know anything about image quality in anything smaller than the APS-C format.

So the G1x would need to be on a neck/shoulder strap?
May as well just stick with the D3100?

Geesh, so many options out there and I don't really have a store close by that stocks the higher end compacts and P&S cameras.

I guess since I have the D3100 for a lighterweight carry around that I'd like a good quality pocket camera.

That looks like the S95/S100?

Any and all tips appreciated,

Steve
--

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +8 more
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?

stevenjames wrote:

Any and all tips appreciated,

Steve,

I am researching this very point at the moment. Slacks pocketability is extremely important to me. I will know in a few days when some more information comes in. What I can say at the moment is the following:

1. the G1X in the Lowepro Rezo 60 is much too bulky to fit in slacks pockets, even though my slacks pockets are large. This is true of every other camera case or pouch I have tried, including the fitted leather cases specifically for the G1x that Amazon sells. With the possible exception of #5 below.

2. The G1X will fit easily in cargo or slacks pockets without a case.

3. The G1X will fit easily in slacks pockets in a microfiber bag or in an American Eagle small zip pouch such as is used for packing for travel. They can be combined as an inner and outer bag and the result will still fit.

4. None of the above gives much protection against bumping into things as you are walking along, but I am not sure how likely a contingency that is.

5. The Optech neoprene pouch, Compact size, supposedly fits the G1X , and mine will arrive in a few days. I will post here the results on pocketability in slacks. Notice that it takes two hands to get this pouch on or off the G1X. I know this because I have one in a smaller size that I use for the G12. There is a video on the Optech site showing how to get it on and off. The meaning of this is that to put it on or take it off easily you need to hold the camera with
a. a third hand; or

b. rest it on a table or other support; or

c. have it suspended from the neck strap, (or perhaps from a wrist strap, to be determined in a few days).

I suggest not making a decision to forgo the G1X until you have considered the Optech pouch.

Krugman

krugman's gear list:krugman's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
wilerty
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevenjames, May 8, 2012

For your needs ... go with the S95/S100. I have both and for lightweight, small, in your pocket camera ... go small. The IQ is better with the G1X.

wilerty's gear list:wilerty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897Gear list
Like?

Hi,

I've just bought my G1X and have been thinking about jacket pockets and cases..... I'd have to acknowledge that it wasn't designed to be pocketable and to say it's not really pocketable in use. It's a camera with a lot of promise, but although it's certainly more compact than a DSLR, it isn't really small or light. It's quite dense.

I was using a G12 and eventually resorted to a small Lowe over the shoulder/belt pouch and I am going to do the same for the G1X. I wouldn't wear either (or anything else) around my neck or shoulder on a bike - too dangerous, even under a jacket.

The G12 can be fitted into a pocket but the front pocket of jeans is too tight a fit and impossible if you are sitting on a bike. The cargo side pocket of cargo pants is just do-able with the G12. I don't think the G1X is really suited to this. Fitting is only part of the story. The G1X is a solid heavy camera and much thicker than the G12, and walking (let alone running) with it in a cargo pant pocket wouldn't be comfortable - too much mass banging around just above the knee. Probably not good for the camera either. I'd go for the lighter option unless you are prepared to change your method of carrying the camera.

Another camera I've found useful for biking (and hiking and sailing) is one of the waterproof/ tough varieties (eg the Panasonic). They're quite small, waterproof and very clean in their lines - very pocketable. Your camera, your call, of course.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Traveller
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,463
Like?
You Can Almost Always Wear a Light Wind Breaker Jacket
In reply to Rod McD, May 8, 2012

...with pockets that surely will be large enough for a G1X.

I used to be able to do this with an old XT, and presumably if I could do it with that, I could do the same with a G1X.

Understand I do not own a G1X so this is just speculation...but as I read more and more about troubles with the S100...I can see that I am just going to have to go robust small camera-wise regardless of the weight issues.

Just an opinion.

Best Wishes, Traveller

Bruce Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 768
Like?

stevenjames wrote:
"I may have to go for an s95/100.
Will they give decent 8x10? "

I have the S90 and have made more than decent 11x14s.....

e.g.

p.s. I have some S100 photos in my dpreview gallery , as well

bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?
To me this is the whole problem

With the G1X (apart from the lack of a proper viewfinder)

If you can't pocket it and it needs to go on a strap or in a bag why not take a Rebel?

Costs less and better IQ and speed

stevenjames wrote:

Can the G1x be pocket carried?
If so would it be in large/side cargo pockets or also typical jean pockets?

Thanks,

Steve
--

Glenn Haley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

I think it's too heavy to fit comfortably in pockets. I use an old belt mounted pouch that I used with the original Canon G1, it's protected with a small amount of padding and allows quick access to the camera . I hate neck straps and use a wrist strap the folds easily around the camera while in the pouch.

bigdaddave
Like?
In reply to Glenn Haley, May 8, 2012

The problem for me is I hate wearing belts

Glenn Haley wrote:

I think it's too heavy to fit comfortably in pockets. I use an old belt mounted pouch that I used with the original Canon G1, it's protected with a small amount of padding and allows quick access to the camera . I hate neck straps and use a wrist strap the folds easily around the camera while in the pouch.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,071
Like?

"pocketable" is not a term I ever use to describe any camera, even if it is. Hope that helps.

bigdaddave
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 8, 2012

Do comments like that give you some feeling of superiority for a percieved correct use of language, or are you just a bore?

toomanycanons wrote:

"pocketable" is not a term I ever use to describe any camera, even if it is. Hope that helps.

toomanycanons
Like?
In reply to bigdaddave, May 8, 2012

Both. Thanks for asking.

bigdaddave wrote:

Do comments like that give you some feeling of superiority for a percieved correct use of language, or are you just a bore?

toomanycanons wrote:

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897Gear list
Like?
Re: Nah.......A rebel is still bigger

If you read a few of these G1X threads you'll observe that many of the posters are DSLR and G1X owners (like me). I don't think that many of us are so totally mistaken about size...... To be honest, I haven't tried to shoehorn a Rebel or a Nikon 3100 or a Kr or similar small DSLR (with a 28-112 zoom on it) into the same bag as a G1X, but honestly, I think it's fairly obvious that they simply wouldn't fit. I doubt the G1X mirror-less, prism-less design and retracting lens can be bettered for portability by any APSC DSLR. FWIW, it's probably the case that many of these DSLR owners already own a DSLR that's bigger than a rebel, and really want something quite different. And if their DSLR isn't Canon, then they're unlikely to want to go out and invest in a second DSLR and lenses.

Enjoy your Rebel. Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
bigdaddave
Like?

I thought as much, wow you're clever

toomanycanons wrote:
Both. Thanks for asking.

bigdaddave wrote:

PaulRivers
Senior MemberPosts: 7,400
Like?

stevenjames wrote:

PaulRivers wrote:

Yeah,

I may just have to go for an S95/100.
Will they give decent 8x10?

Yes.

The difference when taking pics in good light between the s100 and a dslr is very tiny. Many people buy a dslr expecting much better results, and post back about how they can't tell the difference.

It also depends how picky you are - the s100 might have slightly softer corners, for example, than the dslr if you're using a prime lens.

But seriously, the difference is pretty small to non-existant.

toomanycanons
Like?

When the G1X came out most of the complaints were "but it's not pocketable!!". Pocketable? Who the heck cares about "pocketable". Arguments back and forth about what "pocketable" meant. It means nothing to me, yet here you all were going back and forth about "pocketable".

And now, look! a new thread with the new question: is the G1X pocketable? Again, who cares about that? I never have. Sorry, eyes glazing over now.

Go ahead, all, banter back and forth about if it is or if it's not or what it all means.

bigdaddave wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:
Both. Thanks for asking.

bigdaddave wrote:

bigdaddave
Like?

But you're far too self-important to just ignore the thread because it bores you. You have to give your opinion, even though it's entirely disinterested.

You must be proud of yourself today

toomanycanons wrote:

When the G1X came out most of the complaints were "but it's not pocketable!!". Pocketable? Who the heck cares about "pocketable". Arguments back and forth about what "pocketable" meant. It means nothing to me, yet here you all were going back and forth about "pocketable".

And now, look! a new thread with the new question: is the G1X pocketable? Again, who cares about that? I never have. Sorry, eyes glazing over now.

Go ahead, all, banter back and forth about if it is or if it's not or what it all means.

bigdaddave wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:
Both. Thanks for asking.

bigdaddave wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads