Is the NEX-7 a really annoying camera?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
simon65
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
Is the NEX-7 a really annoying camera?
May 7, 2012

I’m in the market and I’m ready to move from the XXXD Canon range for sure, (6 years and counting for Canon to produce a compact high-end camera) but having read reviews and spent some considerable time playing around with the NEX-7, I’m wondering, is it really that good?

Firstly there have been complaints that after even a few weeks users can expect their NEX-7’s 24 mp sensor to sport a decidedly stress inducing layer of dust, one which under the right conditions will show up in pictures.

Users of base DSLR Canons such as myself are not used to layers of dust appearing on our sensors thank you, and I don’t want to pay £1,100 to become acquainted with the experience now.

So what gives? This sounds like a design flaw on a par with the Great Canon 5D III Leaky Light issue. Is Sony on to it?

Then there are reports (not least in DPReview) that to put it mildly the NEX-7’s firmware is about as easy to figure out as The Beale Ciphers, and almost as frustrating. Worse, it appears this isn’t the first time Sony have done this, indeed they make something of a habit of it.

And it’s something I just don’t get. Why, when there are so many examples of well laid out operating systems don’t Sony simply copy one of the winners? After-all isn’t this the way of the world? What’s Android if not just a “me too” of Apple’s well laid out iOS?

Why do Sony imagine that NEX-7 users want the equivalent of Nokia’s defunct Symbian operating system, when there are the plenty of Camera equivalents of iOS elsewhere? And don’t they realize that to Camera users the OS is just as important to them as the OS is to smart phone users?

People also report that the NEX-7’s video button flicks on far too readily, and that Sony has launched a top end camera without, eh, a decent lens system system to support it.

But perhaps worst of all is my own hands on experience with the camera. Contrary to what I had read, I found the rear screen to be small, cramped and of low quality. Indeed the one I looked at had lots of jaggeys appearing on it.

Nor in contrast to the Olympus E-P3 sitting next to it on the shelf did this screen have a smart gloss protective finish to it. It appeared matt and unprotected. Again rather like looking at an old Nokia set against an iPhone 4.

It may be that my shop wasn’t sporting a duff example, although the assistant didn’t think so, assuring me that the Olympus and Sony are just, “different”.

Then I looked at the flash. It’s early days yet but I wonder how long this rather flimsy “cuckoo” style flash can last in the real world. It appears to already be hanging on by a thin thread, use it 6 times a day and what will it look like after six months…? Can anyone comment?

Nor was I impressed by the electronic viewfinder. Apparently it’s ‘state of the art’, but once again I saw jaggeys, as well as some pretty bizarre colour renditions. Realistic it was not.

So that’s my early take.

I know some will argue the NEX-7 has great IQ, and maybe it does, but that’s of little help if the camera itself is such a bundle of disorientating software, and buggy quirks that you despair of it and leave it at home in preference of something more reliable.

Your NEX-7 experiences much appreciated..

Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the NEX-7 a really annoying camera?
In reply to simon65, May 7, 2012

simon65 wrote:

I’m in the market and I’m ready to move from the XXXD Canon range for sure, (6 years and counting for Canon to produce a compact high-end camera) but having read reviews and spent some considerable time playing around with the NEX-7, I’m wondering, is it really that good?

Firstly there have been complaints that after even a few weeks users can expect their NEX-7’s 24 mp sensor to sport a decidedly stress inducing layer of dust, one which under the right conditions will show up in pictures.

Users of base DSLR Canons such as myself are not used to layers of dust appearing on our sensors thank you, and I don’t want to pay £1,100 to become acquainted with the experience now.

So what gives? This sounds like a design flaw on a par with the Great Canon 5D III Leaky Light issue. Is Sony on to it?

Then there are reports (not least in DPReview) that to put it mildly the NEX-7’s firmware is about as easy to figure out as The Beale Ciphers, and almost as frustrating. Worse, it appears this isn’t the first time Sony have done this, indeed they make something of a habit of it.

And it’s something I just don’t get. Why, when there are so many examples of well laid out operating systems don’t Sony simply copy one of the winners? After-all isn’t this the way of the world? What’s Android if not just a “me too” of Apple’s well laid out iOS?

Why do Sony imagine that NEX-7 users want the equivalent of Nokia’s defunct Symbian operating system, when there are the plenty of Camera equivalents of iOS elsewhere? And don’t they realize that to Camera users the OS is just as important to them as the OS is to smart phone users?

People also report that the NEX-7’s video button flicks on far too readily, and that Sony has launched a top end camera without, eh, a decent lens system system to support it.

But perhaps worst of all is my own hands on experience with the camera. Contrary to what I had read, I found the rear screen to be small, cramped and of low quality. Indeed the one I looked at had lots of jaggeys appearing on it.

Nor in contrast to the Olympus E-P3 sitting next to it on the shelf did this screen have a smart gloss protective finish to it. It appeared matt and unprotected. Again rather like looking at an old Nokia set against an iPhone 4.

It may be that my shop wasn’t sporting a duff example, although the assistant didn’t think so, assuring me that the Olympus and Sony are just, “different”.

Then I looked at the flash. It’s early days yet but I wonder how long this rather flimsy “cuckoo” style flash can last in the real world. It appears to already be hanging on by a thin thread, use it 6 times a day and what will it look like after six months…? Can anyone comment?

Nor was I impressed by the electronic viewfinder. Apparently it’s ‘state of the art’, but once again I saw jaggeys, as well as some pretty bizarre colour renditions. Realistic it was not.

So that’s my early take.

I know some will argue the NEX-7 has great IQ, and maybe it does, but that’s of little help if the camera itself is such a bundle of disorientating software, and buggy quirks that you despair of it and leave it at home in preference of something more reliable.

Obvious troll is obvious.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mgatov
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?

I've found the NEX 7 to exceed all of my expectations. It is a camera, however, that has a learning curve and requires putting in some effort to learn its personality. Also, it takes some time to figure out how best to customize it's controls to fit your style of shooting.

I previously used a Nikon D300. I still have it, but am going to ebay it in the next few days. For the type of photography that I do (landscape, portraits, and still-lifes), the NEX us superior, IMO.

I like the live view through the viewfinder. I like the color balance. I like the resolution. The available lenses meet all of my needs. It is light and I can carry it all day without regretting it.

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +3 more
Chrissej
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

Simone, you're à funny guy

harvey_tbee
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?

I wouldn't buy it, if I were you. Canon may pay you to post this kind of er, messages, but they won't pay you to buy Sony's, that's for sure.

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910Gear list
Like?

simon65 wrote:

I haven't noticed any dust, and have had the camera since late March. Furthermore, as others will doubtless point out, the very shallow placement of the sensor makes it easy to blow dust off. Dust is more likely to be trapped in your DSLR, once you get it.

Admittedly, not the best menu system, but few cameras have as much control at your finger tips, and the NEX-7 very configurable with the exception of letting you recall multiple settings with a single button, which--don't hold your breath--might be coming.

It's a pain, and I have complained about it too, but my complaints were directed against the 5N, which was much more susceptible to this problem. The moulding on the back of the NEX-7 helps guide your thumb away from the button. Not perfect, but not as bad as the 5N by a ways (in my experience).

Sounds like trolling? The screen is pretty brilliant. In fact, when I had a NEX-5 and ordered a 5N with the EVF, one of the reasons was dissatisfaction with the NEX-5 LCD. But then I found that the 5N LCD was miles better, and the EVF not as big a necessity as I thought (except shooting in very very bright light).

Gee, nothing impresses you does it? EVFs are not optical viewfinders. This EVF is pretty darn incredible for what it is.

So that’s my early take.

Pardon my observation, but I get the impression, that if you had the chance to examine the images from the NEX-7 you would be posting even more criticism. Somehow, you managed to pick up and try a brilliant and one-of-a-kind mirrorless system, and come away saying "meh". So perhaps you should move on to the system that tickles your fancy best.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
ryansholl
Contributing MemberPosts: 573
Like?
Troll

Troll troll troll troll troll troll troll

darkref
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?

simon65 wrote:

So that’s my early take.

Can't you borrow one from somewhere to try it out?

I prefer the viewfinder in the nex7 to ALL the viewfinders in the shop, including 1000d, 550d, nikon d700.

It's much bigger, the resolution is incredible in good light, and even in low light its brighter.

I have only pressed the video button once. It depends how you hold the camera.

The menu system sucks. All I ever go in to it is for formatting the memory card.

The screen is equal to or better than the olympus. Higher res (at least it was compared to the older pens, not sure now) and yes it is glossy, = better sharpness. And in sun it's better to use the evf anyway.

How can you complain that the screen is too small? How can that make any logical sense? You buy a small camera and complain the screen is too small?

What about the gigantic viewfinder, it's at least 33~50% bigger than viewing the LCD at the closest distance your eyes can take.

The flash is an onboard flash. It's not meant to be used 24-7. The hinge is made out of metal, you can hold the camera by the flash, it's not going to break anytime soon. I don't even know why you would consider such things.

So no, to most of your questions.

But go and try one. Jessops.

And if you are going to buy one, digital rev, ebay, £960.

JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?

It's very apparent, the NEX-7 just ain't for you, Sunny.

creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?

Simon, I truly understand your dilemma. Seeing the problems you're having with the Nex system, maybe this camera will better fit your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Pix-Jr-Mickey-Clubhouse/dp/B0018O8R0M/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336419201&sr=1-19

Hope this helps you.
regards
Ed

darkref
Like?
In reply to creeker, May 7, 2012

creeker wrote:

Simon, I truly understand your dilemma. Seeing the problems you're having with the Nex system, maybe this camera will better fit your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Pix-Jr-Mickey-Clubhouse/dp/B0018O8R0M/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336419201&sr=1-19

Hope this helps you.
regards
Ed

That's a good alternative, I hear it doesn't have the video button problem.

dellaaa
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?

Well, its no where nearly as annoying as you.

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Nikon D800
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
its a lovely camera.
In reply to JPG, May 7, 2012

My only annoyance is that I did not buy it sooner. Once configured I found it easy to navigate and the two wheels on the top plate are the most beatifully engineered wheels I have come across.

I am not brand loyal - this is simply a superb camera.

-- hide signature --

my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
In reply to darkref, May 7, 2012

darkref wrote:

creeker wrote:

Hope this helps you.
regards
Ed

That's a good alternative, I hear it doesn't have the video button problem.

Yes, but they had some spring flooding in the Everglades and they've been kind of slow getting the new lens out. I'm waiting for the Goofy 8mm f/0002, I hear it's sharper than the 2-860mm f/49 kit lens. I pre ordered mine at B&H.

simon65
Like?
In reply to harvey_tbee, May 7, 2012

harvey_tbee wrote:

I wouldn't buy it, if I were you. Canon may pay you to post this kind of er, messages, but they won't pay you to buy Sony's, that's for sure.

Alas no ones paying me anything, least of all Canon who I am rather disillusioned with.

I'm in the market and looking for a high quality, compact camera. It would be nice if Fuji did a zoom lens version of their FinePix X100, its well built, compact, and boasts great IQ, but they don't. The Sony NEX-7 obviously comes to mind, but as I say I have concerns.

simon65
Like?
In reply to creeker, May 7, 2012

Hmm, perhaps the colours are a bit much for my taste. However I'm glad to see someone is catering to bringing children into photography. I got my first camera when I was 7, it was medium format, something which I believe was meant to compensate IQ wise for the fact that it had a plastic lens.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?

simon65 wrote:

Yep.

Yep, that's the case with all mirrorless compacts. An air blower or a wet cleaning swap are your friend (remember, you aren't cleaning the sensor, just the OLPF in front of it.

You only see it if you stop down well past f/11.

It's not an issue.

It takes about 4 hours total to get your settings assigned to a button. After that, you'll only need to go into the menu to format your card. Seriously.

Because then Sony would make just too much money.

It's not defunct, just a little hard to navigate. I care more about how it takes pictures than how the menu is organized.

I have accidentally flicked it only 5 times, and I have shot 12,479 pictures. Not a problem for me.

That's why you look through the high-res EVF and not the back LCD.

Okay that's odd then, mine is very glossy.

No, it sounds like something was up with that camera.

It does look extremely fragile, but it is, in fact, very durable. I know, it's hard to believe.

Sounds like you may have 20/10 macro vision then.

So that’s my early take.

I would go into a shpeil of my experiences. Instead, let me just link you to three formal reviews I have written on the camera to ease your mind.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/04/30/sports-photography-with-the-nex-7-an-exciting-humbling-frustrating-mind-blowing-experience-by-matthew-durr/#comment-178771

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=40937957&changemode=1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=41021532&changemode=1

It's a fantastic camera for what it is. It is THE class-leading APS-C mirrorless camera. The OM-D EM5 is the class-leading m4/3 camera.

Hope this helps.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
simon65
Like?
In reply to tesilab, May 7, 2012

Thanks, I found some of your replies quite helpful.

I have of course had a chance to look at real world pics from the NEX-7 as DPReview has two sets of samples, and I found them to be extremely good. But as I say great IQ is no good if the camera is so frustrating to use, you end up leaving it at home.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 5,832
Like?

simon65 wrote:

I have of course had a chance to look at real world pics from the NEX-7 as DPReview has two sets of samples, and I found them to be extremely good. But as I say great IQ is no good if the camera is so frustrating to use, you end up leaving it at home.

If the camera doesn't appeal to you, it would be foolish to buy one, however much current owners may praise it.

I think you should look elsewhere.

darkref
Like?

simon65 wrote:

The luminous landscapes rolling review is well worth a read http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_nex_7_rolling_review.shtml

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads