SONY, build true simultaneous video-photography capable DSLR!

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
stan_pustylnik
Senior MemberPosts: 3,241Gear list
Like?
SONY, build true simultaneous video-photography capable DSLR!
May 7, 2012

Yesterday at rythmic gymnastics competition I got plenty of great photos using A850 + Maxxum 135mm f/2.8 prime lens.

What I didn't get - video, because my son couldn't come to competition to help me with video.

My dream tool would be camera that would get HD video and true simultaneous photographs in RAW format.

Why not, if camera body have several processors, several memory card slots in one camera?

What a killer camera would it be...

Here are series of shots I got, pitty I don't have video as well.
ISO 2000, f/3.2, 1/320 sec

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.

http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
Re: SONY, build true simultaneous video-photography capable DSLR!
In reply to stan_pustylnik, May 7, 2012

i feel your pain. ive had an a33 for the past year, and while it does both it does neither great. granted its a low end model, but even the upper end arent great. bad noise problms, video that is nowhere near best in class. there always seems to b a better option no matter what u are looking for. the only thing the new slts offer that is great is burst rate, and even that has a catch.

unfortunately the best option ive seen so far is the nex5n, which my brother in law owns. ive seen good pics and it has great video quality, but its far from a true dslr. canon seems to have video down well, but u will b spending more for the good stuff. same with nikon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
two_stanley
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?

the SLT has the capability to do this with full AF.... hopefully in the near future, However, it would be impossible with OVF technology.

ck3
ck3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,757
Like?

stan_pustylnik wrote:

Here are series of shots I got, pitty I don't have video as well.
ISO 2000, f/3.2, 1/320 sec

Video with a shutter speed of 1/320 sec doesn't look very good. Sony, please spend your resources on more pressing issues

Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?

It does essentially exist. The RED series of camera's. Every frame is a quality still.

And it's VERY expensive.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +6 more
stan_pustylnik
Like?
In reply to Stflbn, May 7, 2012

My 5 years old camcorder has 3 photographs ability while recording video without video interruption.

5 years ago when they knew how to do it with low end camcorders! And can't implement it now with cheep memory and fast processors?
--

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to ck3, May 7, 2012

1080p60 video looks fine with that shutter speed, unless you're filming a water fountain.

Ever try it? I had the shutter up to 1/2000 during a bright day video and can't really tell any difference. I do have a Vari-ND filter I use from Singh-Ray just for this occasion though, but I think the 180-degree shutter rule is highly overrated with DSLR video.

ck3 wrote:

Video with a shutter speed of 1/320 sec doesn't look very good. Sony, please spend your resources on more pressing issues

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,742Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stflbn, May 7, 2012

Stflbn wrote:

It does essentially exist. The RED series of camera's. Every frame is a quality still.

And it's VERY expensive.

Sony FS700 ($8,000) would be updated to 4K with 12-bit RAW to external (more $) recorder.

Every frame would be 12 MP RAW still

stan_pustylnik
Like?
In reply to stan_pustylnik, May 11, 2012

I just saw it in Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V review!!!

"•Records Full HD video at 1080/60p with stereo sound and use of optical zoom, continuous AF, and image stabilizer; camera can take 13MP stills while simultaneously recording video (though not at the 60p setting)"

Why not in DSLRs or DSLT???? Should I skip another generation of DSLRs?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads