Lightroom 4 camera profiles for D4?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
kraznus
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Lightroom 4 camera profiles for D4?
May 7, 2012

Do these exist to anyone's knowledge?

I can't stand how LR 4 alters the D4 images with any of the built-in camera profiles.

With the D300 or D3, I would apply Profile: Camera Standard v4 and the NEF photos would look just like I had them in-camera (indistinguishable from the in-camera jpegs).

With the D4, I don't have this option and am limited to the six built-in profiles and they make all my raw files seem flat and inferior to what I get with the in-camera jpegs.

If there is a set of profiles that are tuned to the D4, where can I find them. If not, any idea when Adobe will create them?

Thanks!

Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kraznus
Like?
Re: Lightroom 4 camera profiles for D4?
In reply to kraznus, May 7, 2012

bump

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 10,827
Like?
In reply to kraznus, May 7, 2012

There is no indication on if/when more camera profiles will be available for the D4. You might have to make your own with the ColorChecker Passport.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NU5UW8/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1257&catid=28&action=overview

You can also use the Adobe DNG Editor with the ColorChecker Passport or similar color charts. Some people like the DNG Editor profiles better than the X-Rite software that comes with the ColorChecker Passport.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

abcdefghijklmnop
Contributing MemberPosts: 721Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 7, 2012

Why not just use one of the 17 that comes with LR4 that is nearest to what you like and then use the 7 sliders to fine tune the adjustment. Then save as your D4 preset.

abcdefghijklmnop's gear list:abcdefghijklmnop's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to abcdefghijklmnop, May 8, 2012

abcdefghijklmnop wrote:

Why not just use one of the 17 that comes with LR4 that is nearest to what you like and then use the 7 sliders to fine tune the adjustment. Then save as your D4 preset.

There are 17 for the D4? There are only six for the D800.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

maverick01
Contributing MemberPosts: 715
Like?
In reply to kraznus, May 8, 2012

I second an investment in the Colorchecker Passport for a custom profile.

kraznus
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 8, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

abcdefghijklmnop wrote:

There are 17 for the D4? There are only six for the D800.
--

There are also only six for the D4 as well and none of them come close to the in-camera standard picture control. Hence the problem.

kraznus
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 8, 2012

Thanks for the advice. This sounds like a challenging undertaking, but I may have to give it a try.

konoplya
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
Re: OR..
In reply to kraznus, May 21, 2012

... just use capture nx 2 as it renders nikon NEF just like they were taken in-camera, then export it into photoshop and finish your work there. i know NX2 is not as user friendly per se as lightroom 4, but its a lot more accurate and i use it religiously now. i gave up on lightroom a long time ago because of this reason. even their profiles that they had for nikon cameras didn't come close.

of course, if you dont have photoshop then thats a different story and i guess what others suggested would be a way to go.

kraznus
Like?
In reply to kraznus, Jun 25, 2012

Bump.

Does anyone know if Adobe is working on camera profiles that will show D4 RAW files properly yet?

Thanks,
Kevin

kraznus
Like?
In reply to konoplya, Dec 26, 2012

konoplya wrote:

... just use capture nx 2 as it renders nikon NEF just like they were taken in-camera, then export it into photoshop and finish your work there. i know NX2 is not as user friendly per se as lightroom 4, but its a lot more accurate and i use it religiously now. i gave up on lightroom a long time ago because of this reason. even their profiles that they had for nikon cameras didn't come close.

Capture NX2 does render these properly (of course), but the workflow is so painful that I prefer to just use the D4 jpegs most of the time.

Is there any news on D4 LR4 camera profiles this Christmas?

Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to kraznus, Dec 27, 2012

kraznus wrote:

Is there any news on D4 LR4 camera profiles this Christmas?

Haven't seen anything on the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom forum.

If you don't want to use the QPcard 203 book or ColorChecker Passport, you can download the Adobe DNG Profile Editor (it's free), modify one of the Adobe profiles, and save it with a new name.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads