A57 against Nikon D3200 at Imaging Resources !!!

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
phototherapy
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
A57 against Nikon D3200 at Imaging Resources !!!
May 7, 2012

A57 wins at ease, what do you think?
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Nikon D3200 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HoXXma
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: A57 against Nikon D3200 at Imaging Resources !!!
In reply to phototherapy, May 7, 2012

Fully agree. Almost one stop advantage.

HoXXma's gear list:HoXXma's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoCycler
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
In reply to HoXXma, May 7, 2012

Oh yes, the A57 image is much cleaner than the Nikon D5200.

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoCycler, May 7, 2012

I am very happy with my A57 for both pics and video. Would prefer an option to turn off the crop in video mode if I disable IS, but other than that I love it.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?

PhotoCycler wrote:

nobody was comparing the 5200. as for the 3200, that site compares only jpeg. why is it every sony user only wants to compare jpegs? when u look at raws its a very different story. as u can see, the a57 has better color, the d3200 has much better DR. both have a lot of noise at iso6400. 3200 is $100 less. toss up, not a blowout.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?
In reply to MaxIso, May 7, 2012

MaxIso wrote:

the d3200 has much better DR.

You can't judge DR in any of these pictures. This was explained to you before.

phototherapy
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?

Not everone compare Jpeg indeed, but the low and mid class camera like the A57 is ment more for Jpeg shooters then lets say the A65/A77 which are more for RAW shooters, that's way the A57 IMO has a better Jpeg engine same as the Sony 5N has.

to me it's clear that not everyone need a 24MP camera, to shoot below ISO800 only !!

MaxIso wrote:

PhotoCycler wrote:

nobody was comparing the 5200. as for the 3200, that site compares only jpeg. why is it every sony user only wants to compare jpegs? when u look at raws its a very different story. as u can see, the a57 has better color, the d3200 has much better DR. both have a lot of noise at iso6400. 3200 is $100 less. toss up, not a blowout.

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,294
Like?
I don't see it....

I'm a Sony user and I just don't see it.

The Sony is using more aggressive Noise Reduction, as usual (for example, blurring of a lot of pattern detail in the red cloth swatch, with far more detail left in the Nikon image of that same area).

You also have to consider how the images look at equivalent viewing sizes. IOW, you'd need to downsize the Nikon 3200 image to the smaller size that the Sony A57 is producing to get a better idea of how the images compare from them, so that the portions of the images you're comparing are the same size.

I haven't taken the time to do that yet (compare the images at the same viewing sizes, which would mean you'd need to downsize the Nikon images to compare them).

But, from what I can tell at a quick glance, the Nikon images are using less aggressive Noise Reduction by default.

So, if you used equivalent Noise Reduction from images produced by both cameras (for example, shoot in RAW without NR to get rid of the more aggressive NR used by the Sony), and use the same RAW converter, and then resize them so that you're comparing the same size images (downsizing the image produced by the Nikon D3200 to the same size as the image produced by the A57), I doubt you're going to see much (if any) difference between them.

-- hide signature --

JimC

PhotoCycler
Like?

MaxIso wrote:

nobody was comparing the 5200. as for the 3200, that site compares only jpeg

5200 was a typo obviously. Anyway, yes, I'm more concerned about jpeg.

When I compared at ISO1600, the Sony A57 is MUCH better/cleaner than the Nikon D3200 with jpeg. And the A65/A77 are just as good in spite of having the light loss due to the mirror.

Also, Sony retains a good level of detail in their jpegs as shown in previous comparisons. Big thumbs up to Sony.

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
I agree with Jim Cockfield...

that D3200 has better details. You can't compare two cameras based on jpeg alone. Wait until RAW converter for both cameras. Having said all that, I think A77 is a very appealing camera. If I don't already have Canon 7D I would have bought it already. It looks like a real upgrade from A55 (minus GPS).

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?

PhotoCycler wrote:

MaxIso wrote:

Also, Sony retains a good level of detail in their jpegs as shown in previous comparisons. Big thumbs up to Sony.

rofl dude u r an absolute joke. u r lying through your teeth and misleading anybody who may actually b looking for an informed discussion. this is shot with Raw&Jpeg so as to have an exact comparison. sony retains a good level of detail in jpegs?? let me show u how much detail they retain without posting fake jpegs that have been sharpened. neither of these has any PP, raw was simply converted using acr.

if u r going to waste time on PP u may as well do it with raws, u will get much better results. here is a raw vs jpeg straight out of camera, raw converted with default acr.

TrojMacReady
Like?
Read, then reply.

And the relevance of an almost 2 year old camera in a thread about 2 new cameras with newer jpeg engines?

Not to mention the context being jpeg engines, in which these comments were made. Thus in camera jpeg engines being the reference, not ACR or any other RAW converter.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,130Gear list
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, May 7, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

MaxIso wrote:

the d3200 has much better DR.

You can't judge DR in any of these pictures. This was explained to you before.

The troll maxiso makes it up as he goes along. I no longer read his posts but can't seem to avoid reading the responses. I wish you guys would ignore him. If you did he would go away.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
TrojMacReady
Like?
Re: I agree with Jim Cockfield...
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, May 8, 2012

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

that D3200 has better details. You can't compare two cameras based on jpeg alone. Wait until RAW converter for both cameras. Having said all that, I think A77 is a very appealing camera. If I don't already have Canon 7D I would have bought it already. It looks like a real upgrade from A55 (minus GPS).

Rawtherapee (DCRAW) opens the D3200 files. Adobe handles the A57, as does the former.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,130Gear list
Like?
In reply to phototherapy, May 8, 2012

phototherapy wrote:

Not really. Up to iso800 the D3200 wins with ease because it shows more detail. What is more important, IQ up to iso800 where large majority of photography takes place or the high iso areas which we have to use only when conditions warrant it? I always use the lowest possible iso I can get away with.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Todd3608
Contributing MemberPosts: 681
Like?
In reply to phototherapy, May 8, 2012

I honestly think JPEG comparisons are pretty worthless. There are way too many variables. Go to the store and try using each camera. Both of these cameras can produce quality images. Does one have a better grip? Do you like the interface of one better? What features do you want? How much do you want to spend? I would choose a camera like this instead of on internet comparisons that are often flawed.

PhotoCycler
Like?
Sony wins
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, May 8, 2012

Having said all that, I think A77 is a very appealing camera. If I don't already have Canon 7D I would have bought it already. It looks like a real upgrade from A55 (minus GPS

No, the A77 has GPS also.

PhotoCycler
Like?
In reply to MaxIso, May 8, 2012

MaxIso wrote:

if u r going to waste time on PP

For someone who always wants to link to RAW conversions, it's ironic that at the same tme, you are here saying that PP is a waste of time.

the bottom line is jpeg is an inferior format with less digital information.

Both images you posted for comparison are jpegs. Once you output your final destination as jpeg, you will have some quality loss. With a little knowledge, you can minimize the loss. Sony JPEGs are very good quality, and it takes work to do any better yourself in PP, as stated in the review.

Instead of picking one favorable comparison for the Pentax, I have compared many more examples, with a priority on JPEG comparisons since that is my most common final output anyway. And so far, Sony wins.

Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, May 8, 2012

tbcass wrote:

phototherapy wrote:

Not really. Up to iso800 the D3200 wins with ease because it shows more detail. What is more important, IQ up to iso800 where large majority of photography takes place or the high iso areas which we have to use only when conditions warrant it? I always use the lowest possible iso I can get away with.

-- hide signature --

Tom

I agree Tom. The D3200 shows more detail even through ISO 1600 IMHO. The D3200 is using less noise reduction, but leaving more details. The fact that it has more resolution to begin with is also a factor. The A57 is producing less noise and a smoother image, but at the expense of fine detail. Sony's new JPEG process seems to be a bit heavy on the NR and then uses some strong edge sharpening. Now, shrink that down to normal print size and you get a good result, which I think is the point. Pixel peeping at 100%, which is not all that relevant in real life usage, shows what is going on though.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony wins
In reply to PhotoCycler, May 8, 2012

Sorry I meant A57.

PhotoCycler wrote:

Having said all that, I think A77 is a very appealing camera. If I don't already have Canon 7D I would have bought it already. It looks like a real upgrade from A55 (minus GPS

No, the A77 has GPS also.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads