Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,496
Like?
Re: Canon SX40 vs. Panasonic FZ150
In reply to james s. kennedy, May 17, 2012

LOL

james s. kennedy wrote:

The most important factor is that the SX40 produces better image quality than the FZ150.
--
Jim Kennedy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon76
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 17, 2012

Sorry am I missing something here ?

RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
In reply to noonin, May 17, 2012

I don't consider that to be very important, especially after using a Canon Pro1 for many years (it also had an articulated screen but smaller and lower resolution, of course, than the SX40 or FZ150).

To me, the screen is useful for two primary things: framing the shot and providing information on the camera's settings. It's also useful for a quick check of the photo, mainly to assure that I captured what I intended. The SX40's screen is more than adequate for those purposes, IMHO.

I suppose that higher res would be helpful for manual focus, but I don't recall ever using manual focus on any of the many digital cameras I've owned.

noonin wrote:

...One thing no one has mentioned is the Panasonic has a higher rez screen than the Canon

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

RDCollins
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 17, 2012

James's comment is consistent with the conclusions reached in most of the reviews I've read. However, I suspect that 99.9998% of users would be happy with the IQ of either camera. The others are the nuts on this and other boards who obsess over minute differences in noise, endlessly debate the accuracy of color rendition, etc. etc. To those folks, I say get a life and start photographing it!

toomanycanons wrote:
LOL

james s. kennedy wrote:

The most important factor is that the SX40 produces better image quality than the FZ150.
--
Jim Kennedy

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins

longtalker
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, May 19, 2012

As someone who spent a lot of time hands-on comparing these two great cameras (and eventually, but with difficulty, choosing the SX40), I took tons of pictures with each, as I was trying to isolate various aspects of the cameras to compare.

I have now sold the FZ150 so these pictures have done their job and are now just taking up space, but before deleting them I thought I'd ask whether anyone who's in the same dillema between these two cameras would find any use for them at all - if so, I'll try to find some webspace to upload them to.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,496
Like?
In reply to longtalker, May 19, 2012

Comparing IQ (with shots taken by someone who has their own priorities as to where/what/when to capture a scene) is one metric.

Ergonomics/fun factor/speed of operation/ease of use/etc/etc/etc are also high on my list of why I would choose one camera over another.

Could you please give us what other factors led to your ultimate choice?

longtalker wrote:

As someone who spent a lot of time hands-on comparing these two great cameras (and eventually, but with difficulty, choosing the SX40), I took tons of pictures with each, as I was trying to isolate various aspects of the cameras to compare.

I have now sold the FZ150 so these pictures have done their job and are now just taking up space, but before deleting them I thought I'd ask whether anyone who's in the same dillema between these two cameras would find any use for them at all - if so, I'll try to find some webspace to upload them to.

noonin
Contributing MemberPosts: 815
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, May 19, 2012

RDCollins wrote:

I don't consider that to be very important, especially after using a Canon Pro1 for many years (it also had an articulated screen but smaller and lower resolution, of course, than the SX40 or FZ150).

To me, the screen is useful for two primary things: framing the shot and providing information on the camera's settings. It's also useful for a quick check of the photo, mainly to assure that I captured what I intended. The SX40's screen is more than adequate for those purposes, IMHO.

I suppose that higher res would be helpful for manual focus, but I don't recall ever using manual focus on any of the many digital cameras I've owned.

Fair enough, but I was guessing the OP was looking for details that might push one way or the other. I went to BB yesterday to actually pick up a FZ150, but they didn't even have one to look at, and the SX40 battery was dead, so I couldn't tell how good or bad the screen was, or if the EVF was so small that yopu really had to rely on the screen for shooting. I still use a Canon G3 and the VF is decent enough to use for shooting, but the screen ain't so great, especially out doors...I know, the SX40 is way different than a 9 year old G3

longtalker
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, May 19, 2012

All of these would be important factors as well, of course, which everyone would see differently. I for one searched the internet long and hard for sx40 vs fz150 comparison shots and could not find enough (at the time) to make me make up my mind, which is why I ended up getting both and comparing them myself, which was fun in itself.

In short, my reasons for choosing the sx40 were its (marginally, but still visibly) better IQ at both ends of the ISO spectrum, the focus bracketing feature, the customisable timer, the option to turn it on in Play mode without extending the lens, and finally the CHDK add-on, which brings a host of features to play with, and which makes the burst mode almost as fast as in the fz150 (thus reducing the fz150's main advantage).

I had to reluctantly give up the fz150's larger&clearer LCD, moer confident AF and more efficient (MP4) movie compression.

Simon76
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to longtalker, May 19, 2012

Thanks for your evaluation, it's helped me in choosing between the two.

Could you tell me if you noticed much difference with AF ? Apparently the Panasonic is slightly faster. Is this noticeable ?

Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
In reply to Cheryl Meisel, May 21, 2012

Cheryl, I'm considering this camera but I've read and seen videos of how slow that auto focus is (stills and video) and problems focusing in macro mode. Are you seeing these problems?
Thanks

Cheryl Meisel wrote:

I honestly do not know which is BETTER but I bought the SX40 and I am never going to look back I LOVE IT! It's fun and cool. You wouldn't want it for fast flying birds but it works for everything else. I have to try street shooting with it I know it would be GREAT. I just love the camera it's so much FUN right out of the BOX! I only am on my second time out with it and now I am going to do my C1 etc. now. I am getting used to what I like to shoot in certain areas but the first time out of the box I just took her and thought I will get used to the buttons etc by shooting. We shot all day and never picked up the 7D (I still have to learn that got that also), we were simply having so much fun. Some of the others might be better who knows, not me but I find this camera great on colors, easy to post process, very little noise, and WONDERFUL reach!!! So I am a happy camper as that is all I wanted from it, I knew it was no speed demon. As far as videos I am really not interested :).
--
Cherylm
'You can observe a lot just by watching'

http://www.pbase.com/cherylm

-- hide signature --

Monica (UZi x2) (Canon S3)
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm

B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simon76, May 21, 2012

The SX40 clearly has better IQ at high ISO, but at low ISO it's a more subjective matter. The FZ150 is sharper and has better contrast at lower ISOs, but Canon has more accurate color (not to say the color rendition on the FZ150 isn't good, but simply that the SX40 is better). As many have said though, it all comes down to what you're looking for in a camera. For me, the superfast AF, burst mode, build quality, and handling of the FZ150 put it ahead of the SX40, but for someone else, the higher ISO IQ, reach, and better color accuracy of the SX40 may make that the better choice for them.

Simon76 wrote:

Thanks for your evaluation, it's helped me in choosing between the two.

Could you tell me if you noticed much difference with AF ? Apparently the Panasonic is slightly faster. Is this noticeable ?

Yes, it's noticeable but what's more noticeable is the fact the SX40 simply can't focus in situations where the FZ150 can. The AF on my S95 is the same way, but due to the DOF on that type of camera, I can usually just set it to infinity focus and get the desired result.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

RDCollins
Like?
In reply to B1ackhat, Jun 13, 2012

B1ackhat wrote:

...For me, the superfast AF, burst mode, build quality, and handling of the FZ150 put it ahead of the SX40....

I finally got my hands on a Panasonic FZ150 yesterday, and have to disagree about its build quality compared to the Canon SX40. To me, the Canon is quite obviously better built and has a much more solid feel than the Panny. I also thought that the controls on the SX40 were better laid out, more responsive, and more solid than those on the FX150.

All of that probably has little to do with IQ, but it may affect durability.

Just sayin'....

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads