I like to collect Nikon cameras...

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
djrocks66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,060Gear list
Like?
Flash Video?
In reply to Michael McCarthy, May 11, 2012

Do you have them to shoot video of the flashes going off in a creative way?
--

 djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: I like to collect Nikon cameras...
In reply to TekSavvy, May 12, 2012

TekSavvy wrote:

Wow, how many wedding photog's do you have?

Maybe they cover those moonie weddings where thousands of couples get married at the same time.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: I like to collect Nikon cameras...
In reply to customminds, May 12, 2012

With that many cameras and lenses, I'd be interested to know how many come with faults and how many develop faults over period you use them?

That looks like a big enough sample to provide some meaningful figures.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: I like to collect Nikon cameras...
In reply to customminds, May 14, 2012

I bet that's his local repair center and those are D7000's awaiting focus fixes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pedro Vera
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Do you film car commercials ?
In reply to blue_cheese, May 15, 2012

Sell more cars.

blue_cheese wrote:

Right....

I was just wondering what kind of action a car surrounded by cameras would do its not going anywhere.....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,369Gear list
Like?
Wonder what your reasons are...
In reply to customminds, May 15, 2012

I'm going to make an assumption that you aren't lying about your numbers and this isn't just a photoshop trick...

One thing I can think of for a wedding photographer - Put them on each table or at each seat and let the guests take shots. The high end wedding version of disposable cameas at each table. Of course you'd have to have a contract that would allow you to recover costs in case of theft or damage.

Really, any one off special project requiring many cameras could fund the purchase of this collection. There ought to be some kind of a discount if you buy cameras in bulk. I would hate to be the person funding them though. If those 60 or so are 2/5 of your stock, we're talking about roughly 150 cameras. Even if they were all low end models at $500 each you'd be looking at $75k. You must be catering to rich couples, fashion mags and ad agencies with money to burn.

I have to say that regardless I would do things differently. For a start I would store the cameras much better than that. But also if I wasn't planning to use that number of cameras frequently I would sell most of them and pocket the cash or lower my price for the shoot. I would pass on the cost of aquiring the next set of cameras to my next client. No doubt you have good reasons for doing differently. No one in their right mind spends over $75 on shock factor on dpreview. I don't think this is some crazy rich amateur either, because if it were you'd have more variety and less uniformity in the gear. Those cameras should easily fund an awesome kit with top of the line bodies, glass flashes etc.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Wonder what your reasons are...
In reply to Sammy Yousef, May 15, 2012

Sammy Yousef wrote:

I'm going to make an assumption that you aren't lying about your numbers and this isn't just a photoshop trick...

One thing I can think of for a wedding photographer - Put them on each table or at each seat and let the guests take shots. The high end wedding version of disposable cameas at each table. Of course you'd have to have a contract that would allow you to recover costs in case of theft or damage.

Really, any one off special project requiring many cameras could fund the purchase of this collection. There ought to be some kind of a discount if you buy cameras in bulk. I would hate to be the person funding them though. If those 60 or so are 2/5 of your stock, we're talking about roughly 150 cameras. Even if they were all low end models at $500 each you'd be looking at $75k. You must be catering to rich couples, fashion mags and ad agencies with money to burn.

I have to say that regardless I would do things differently. For a start I would store the cameras much better than that. But also if I wasn't planning to use that number of cameras frequently I would sell most of them and pocket the cash or lower my price for the shoot. I would pass on the cost of aquiring the next set of cameras to my next client. No doubt you have good reasons for doing differently. No one in their right mind spends over $75 on shock factor on dpreview. I don't think this is some crazy rich amateur either, because if it were you'd have more variety and less uniformity in the gear. Those cameras should easily fund an awesome kit with top of the line bodies, glass flashes etc.

Personally, due to his lack of responses or explanation, I am guessing it's some large pawn shop, repair shop, or other locale unrelated to him.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
customminds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?
D50 death by fire video
In reply to Hosh, May 15, 2012

in response to the "people should be using those" comment.

from about 2 years ago...
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DM37oO0cdTEE

Hosh wrote:
People should be using those!

customminds wrote:

about 2/5 total inventory. figured someone out there might find it fun.

-- hide signature --

Banff / Canada
http://fiftymillimetre.com/
http://fiftymillimetre.deviantart.com/
Current: D3, 50/1.4, 24-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8
Retired: F, F80, D100, D70, 50/1.8, 20/2.8, 10.5/2.8
Stolen: 85/1.4; Broken: 17-35/2.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
customminds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?
Re: I like to collect Nikon cameras...
In reply to CFynn, May 15, 2012

Nikon D40's 50's 70's 100's 3000's 3100's
and
Canon 10d's XT's XTi's T1i's and T2i's.

Nikons;
The lenses fail 4 to 1 compared to the camera bodies.
when the 18-55 kit lens fails, it is 50/50 for one of the following.

  • insides no longer move in and out -- the inside breaks and clunks around inside the lens.

  • the plastic connection sheers off so it no longer connects / stays connected to the camera.

Body failures on Nikons are mostly shutter failures. very rarely we have a USB connection or memory stick area stop working/ connecting (1 out of 15 cameras). other body failures are from the little metal L hook that connects the lens. it breaks off, so the camera can't tell when a lens is attached. (1 of 10 camera body failures)

Canons are a little different;

About 2 lenses to each body failure. the lenses we have seem to stick together a bit better.

CFynn wrote:

With that many cameras and lenses, I'd be interested to know how many come with faults and how many develop faults over period you use them?

That looks like a big enough sample to provide some meaningful figures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
customminds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?
Re: Wonder what your reasons are...
In reply to TFergus, May 15, 2012

TFergus wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

I'm going to make an assumption that you aren't lying about your numbers and this isn't just a photoshop trick...

One thing I can think of for a wedding photographer - Put them on each table or at each seat and let the guests take shots. The high end wedding version of disposable cameas at each table. Of course you'd have to have a contract that would allow you to recover costs in case of theft or damage.

Really, any one off special project requiring many cameras could fund the purchase of this collection. There ought to be some kind of a discount if you buy cameras in bulk. I would hate to be the person funding them though. If those 60 or so are 2/5 of your stock, we're talking about roughly 150 cameras. Even if they were all low end models at $500 each you'd be looking at $75k. You must be catering to rich couples, fashion mags and ad agencies with money to burn.

I have to say that regardless I would do things differently. For a start I would store the cameras much better than that. But also if I wasn't planning to use that number of cameras frequently I would sell most of them and pocket the cash or lower my price for the shoot. I would pass on the cost of aquiring the next set of cameras to my next client. No doubt you have good reasons for doing differently. No one in their right mind spends over $75 on shock factor on dpreview. I don't think this is some crazy rich amateur either, because if it were you'd have more variety and less uniformity in the gear. Those cameras should easily fund an awesome kit with top of the line bodies, glass flashes etc.

Personally, due to his lack of responses or explanation, I am guessing it's some large pawn shop, repair shop, or other locale unrelated to him.

sorry, been out taking photos. check the posts to other responses now. went ahead and updated for you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
customminds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?
Re: Wonder what your reasons are...
In reply to Sammy Yousef, May 15, 2012

sent you a PM.

Personally for wedding gigs, I only shoot Canon (1dsm3 with L prime lenses).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Custom-Minds-Photography/120445474688048

Sammy Yousef wrote:

I'm going to make an assumption that you aren't lying about your numbers and this isn't just a photoshop trick...

One thing I can think of for a wedding photographer - Put them on each table or at each seat and let the guests take shots. The high end wedding version of disposable cameas at each table. Of course you'd have to have a contract that would allow you to recover costs in case of theft or damage.

Really, any one off special project requiring many cameras could fund the purchase of this collection. There ought to be some kind of a discount if you buy cameras in bulk. I would hate to be the person funding them though. If those 60 or so are 2/5 of your stock, we're talking about roughly 150 cameras. Even if they were all low end models at $500 each you'd be looking at $75k. You must be catering to rich couples, fashion mags and ad agencies with money to burn.

I have to say that regardless I would do things differently. For a start I would store the cameras much better than that. But also if I wasn't planning to use that number of cameras frequently I would sell most of them and pocket the cash or lower my price for the shoot. I would pass on the cost of aquiring the next set of cameras to my next client. No doubt you have good reasons for doing differently. No one in their right mind spends over $75 on shock factor on dpreview. I don't think this is some crazy rich amateur either, because if it were you'd have more variety and less uniformity in the gear. Those cameras should easily fund an awesome kit with top of the line bodies, glass flashes etc.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Wonder what your reasons are...
In reply to customminds, May 15, 2012

Deleted.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: I like to collect Nikon cameras...
In reply to customminds, May 17, 2012

customminds wrote:

Nikon D40's 50's 70's 100's 3000's 3100's
and
Canon 10d's XT's XTi's T1i's and T2i's.

Nikons;
The lenses fail 4 to 1 compared to the camera bodies.
when the 18-55 kit lens fails, it is 50/50 for one of the following.

  • insides no longer move in and out -- the inside breaks and clunks around inside the lens.

  • the plastic connection sheers off so it no longer connects / stays connected to the camera.

Body failures on Nikons are mostly shutter failures. very rarely we have a USB connection or memory stick area stop working/ connecting (1 out of 15 cameras). other body failures are from the little metal L hook that connects the lens. it breaks off, so the camera can't tell when a lens is attached. (1 of 10 camera body failures)

Canons are a little different;

About 2 lenses to each body failure. the lenses we have seem to stick together a bit better.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Reliability is a big concern for me since I now live somewhere where I can't get cameras and lenses fixed or serviced - and I certainly can't afford multiple backups.

CFynn wrote:

With that many cameras and lenses, I'd be interested to know how many come with faults and how many develop faults over period you use them?

That looks like a big enough sample to provide some meaningful figures.

 CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads