Wording for a proposal - Extras

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
dad_of_four
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,352Gear list
Like?
Wording for a proposal - Extras
May 7, 2012

I am submitting a bid, and want to add a catch-all bullet-point stating something similar to:

• Other activities as requested

It needs to be general enough for any activity, but yet not leave me holding the bag (and expense) of some future activity. In other words, I wanna say: Hey, I am willing to do extra work not contained in the proposal, but I expect to be paid for it

dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
john g
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
Re: Wording for a proposal - Extras
In reply to dad_of_four, May 7, 2012

You can write just about anything, it sounds like a throwaway line...
Something like, "Additional items by request".

The truth is, that your estimate should be specific enough, to their side of the bargain, that if they want to add something it should be apparent against the original proposal.

Then it comes down to the axiom I've always used, that if the client adds something to the job, I am under the obligation to go home that night, retype or amend the original bid to include the new work and the additional costs, and to deliver that first thing the next morning.

Good luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,681
Like?
In reply to dad_of_four, May 7, 2012

I usually quote an hourly fee with additional hours available, plus expenses. Or are you thinking of PP and transmitting fees?

Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600Gear list
Like?
In reply to dad_of_four, May 8, 2012

As John says, the key is to clearly define what you will do/will supply and to react appropriately at the slightest hint of a client trying to stretch the brief. That doesn't mean saying "That isn't in the current agreement" - more along the lines of "sure we can do that, but as it is outside the agreed specs we will need to work out a new quote".

As for wording for the agreement - how about something along the lines of "quotes for additional work can be provided on request". - makes it clear that there is a charge for extra work.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-

I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 7D 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them

I am learning photo graphee - see the results at http://www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,802
Like?
In reply to Dan Marchant, May 8, 2012

My favorites are:

• I don't know, but let me think about it and see how we can make this work.

• Of course it's possible, but let me rework the quote to include it. (I only use it when it's a big/major addition, I have already factored in the minor additions that the customer always ask for).

and the other one for when they when to make it cheaper:

• I do not think that it will turn out the way you want if we cut this…

Now, I blurt them out immediately without even thinking.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

FeedMe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,474
Like?
In reply to dad_of_four, Jun 1, 2012

Say it out plainly without hiding behind rhetoric:

• additional work not contained in this proposal is acceptable with suitable negotiated remuneration.

It really does depend on what it is - if I was taking corporate shots of groups and they then wanted individual shots I'd say sure, but these are charged as individual sales of the photographs and not contained in the original price for this job.

Then you just charge them a normal fee for the individual photos, say £40 per 8x10" unframed (or whatever).

dad_of_four wrote:

I am submitting a bid, and want to add a catch-all bullet-point stating something similar to:

• Other activities as requested

It needs to be general enough for any activity, but yet not leave me holding the bag (and expense) of some future activity. In other words, I wanna say: Hey, I am willing to do extra work not contained in the proposal, but I expect to be paid for it

-- hide signature --

Only a sad fool invests their self-worth in a camera! You know who you are...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads