m43 Lens pouch suggestions

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
mack1oon
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
m43 Lens pouch suggestions
May 7, 2012

I am looking for lens pouches that I can store my m43 lenses in. I have built the following stable and would like to get a few pouches I can use for transport and storage.

The lenses would be 12mm OLY, 45mm OLY, 12-50mm Kit, 75-300mm OLY, 14-150 OLY, 9-18mm OLY and the MACRO if it ever comes out.

Let me know what you use or if you have suggestions. Links and photos are appreciated.

Thanks

mack1oon's gear list:mack1oon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
madzazulu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Re: m43 Lens pouch suggestions
In reply to mack1oon, Jun 11, 2012

Me interested to know too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
g2van
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
madzazulu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
In reply to g2van, Jun 11, 2012

Thank you!.

P S
P S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308Gear list
Like?

I got couple of them here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UW6HP0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01

-- hide signature --

PS

P S's gear list:P S's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?

I guess you're actually asking about "oly" pouches, not "m43.". Panasonic lenses generally come with nice hoods and pouches.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
rednefed
Contributing MemberPosts: 804Gear list
Like?

I use the lens sock the ZD 12-60mm came with. Fits two m4/3 primes, or a collapsed kit lens, with caps and shades extended. The bottom is a bit more sturdy, so the whole sock doesn't wrangle around when moving things in and out of your bag.

rednefed's gear list:rednefed's gear list
Nikon D3S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +5 more
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?

the micro lens pouches referenced by another commenter look great. may have to get some.

currently, I use the pouch that came with my Panny 20mm for my Oly 45. Fits nicely with the hood on the 45 reversed. the 20 is usually on my camera, and if I swap it for the 45, then the same bag suffices.

I have found that the Panny 20mm fits nicely in the Tenba padded smartphone accessory bag that came with my Tenba Shootout bag -- Tenba sells the accessory bag as a separate item and it is less than $10 I think. the Tenba accessory bag has a buckle on the back so the bag can be attached to a camera or bag strap or even a narrow belt.

for times when I have the Oly kit zooms along as well, I use microfiber sunglass bags you can get at any sunglass store or kiosk in a mall. not much in padding but work to keep the lens from getting marked up bouncing around in whatever bag I am using and keeps dust, etc. off if the lens is in my pockets. I got two for $6.

for my legacy lenses (oly 4/3 and MF Minolta lenses), I use neoprene beer can koozies. those might work for some of the larger lenses you reference, though it only offers protection on one end and around the barrel.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,008Gear list
Like?

mack1oon wrote:

I am looking for lens pouches that I can store my m43 lenses in. I have built the following stable and would like to get a few pouches I can use for transport and storage.

The lenses would be 12mm OLY, 45mm OLY, 12-50mm Kit, 75-300mm OLY, 14-150 OLY, 9-18mm OLY and the MACRO if it ever comes out.

Let me know what you use or if you have suggestions. Links and photos are appreciated.

I prefer separate lens cases, too. The ones I use for different lenses, with adaptors mounted for manual lenses. I brought lenses to B&H and found lens cases with the best fit for different lenses. The LowePro and Mountainsmith are the best quality.

Here's what I came up with:
LowePro 8 x 6cm: Panasonic 20mm, Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f1.4
LowePro 9 x 13cm: Panasonic 100-300mm

Pearstone Onyx 30: Voigtländer Nokton 25mm, Voigtländer 75mm f2.5, Pentax 50mm f1.4
Pearstone Onyx 40: Nikon 60mm and 105mm macros, Olympus OM 135mm f2.8
Mountainsmith LC1: Panasonic 14-140mm

I also use Mountainsmith small Zoom bags, which can fit 2 lenses each, the biggest being the 14-140mm and the 7-14, or my macro lenses. It can also fit a GH2 with a pancake lens.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Vasyl Tsvirkunov
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?

Excellent. Thank you very much. I was also looking for something like that. Why can't Olympus provide even basic pouches? Panasonic has them with every lens.

sproket1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715Gear list
Like?
The Best and cheapest
In reply to Vasyl Tsvirkunov, Jun 11, 2012

way to to use an old sock. Works perfect.

JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,174Gear list
Like?
In reply to mack1oon, Jun 12, 2012

I have a Lowepro lens pouch. They make a couple of different sizes. I think I have the medium one. It fits the 45-200mm with the sunshade inverted, or the 14-42mm with the sunshade in place.
--
js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Vasyl Tsvirkunov
Like?
Re: The Best and cheapest
In reply to sproket1, Jun 12, 2012

sproket1 wrote:

way to to use an old sock. Works perfect.

Panasonic's pouches are at about that level. With Oly m43 you would have to use little kids socks and those rarely survive long without holes

Vasyl Tsvirkunov
Like?
In reply to JosephScha, Jun 12, 2012

JosephScha wrote:

I have a Lowepro lens pouch. They make a couple of different sizes. I think I have the medium one. It fits the 45-200mm with the sunshade inverted, or the 14-42mm with the sunshade in place.

Lowepro's are decent but they don't make very small ones. The smallest they have looks too big even for 40-150, never mind 45/1.8. I've ordered a couple of those Micro Lens Pouches mentioned in the other post on this thread. Will report on the fit as they arrive.

Vasyl Tsvirkunov
Like?
Micro Lens Pouches
In reply to Vasyl Tsvirkunov, Jun 15, 2012

I've got a couple of pouches from http://www.microlenspouch.com . I did not get their large size but I have a small and a medium. Here are my observations.

The quality is quite good, the material is excellent for the purpose - soft, just the right thickness, light, does not tend to cling to things like some synthetics do. Pouches stretch a little making it easier to get a good fit. The ties are also decent and hold well.

The sizes are in line with m43 and generally usable but the size table on the site is somewhat arbitrary. For once, these pouches are almost too small. So here are the combinations I've tried:

Olympus 45/1.8 - small. Good fit without the hood, no fit with one. The pouch closes completely.

Voightlander 25/0.95 - small. Really nice fit. Particularly happy about this one as the lens is heavy for its size and can slip out of the bag easier than most if one is not careful. The supplied hood is huge so no go there.

Olympus 40-150 - medium. A bit short, does not close over the cap. Maybe, large would work better but the medium has better matching diameter. The lens is large enough to be sufficiently protected by a regular bag stuff so no big deal.

Olympus 12-50 - no recommendation on site, medium is better. The lens is thinner and tends to slip from the small one if not sufficiently tightened. That said, this lens does not really requite much protection.

The pouches are so much better than bundled Panasonic ones which are only good for storage. Overall, I am satisfied. Pouches work for two lenses that needed it (25 and 45), the rest are ok without them, it would only slow down swapping.

One last thing. The pouches seem to provide enough protection so they can be used with a non-padded bag. May not sound very important but you never know.

Polariser
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
In reply to mack1oon, Jun 15, 2012

I use these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170831061069#ht_5866wt_809 \

Small size seems to fit most (Have a medium for the 7-14

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads