NX20: USer guide in English online

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?
NX20: USer guide in English online
May 7, 2012
 tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
Samsung NX20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?
Re: NX20: USer guide in English online
In reply to tjobbe, May 7, 2012

Thanks! Lots of useful information in there. They have a pretty nice general photography overview at the beginning as well.

It looks like you can send photos to an iPhone using Mobil Link, but they say Remote Viewfinder requires a Samsung phone.

The 1/8000 shutter requires using the electronic first curtain. If you are using the mechanical shutter it is still 1/4000.

The electronic first curtain shutter requires the use of a samsung NX mount lens according to page 131. This means 1/8000 will not be usable on older manual focus f/1.4 lenses for example.

I-Zoom is not available in RAW format (no surprise, it is something you would use for JPEG anyway).

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rurouni
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?

I got to say, Samsung's user guide gives a really good overview of fundamental concepts of photography.

I've never seen such a nicely written primer from any other camera company in a manual before : )

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,097Gear list
Like?

1) no focus peaking
2) no in body IS
3) no remapping of "record button"
4) no 1/8000 with "legacy lenses"
5) no mechanical external shutter possible?

6) confirmed 800x600 EVF. Will it be sequential? Anyway, suboptimal res, considering higher res EVFs are out since months.

Overall a nice camera, with the above caveats, for me. I still keep my NX100 till: 1) NX20 is much cheaper or 2) NX1 is out with better sensor and EVF and possibly addressing the above points

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
Thomas Wieser
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
Yes!
In reply to tecnoworld, May 7, 2012

The manual confirms, this is the camera to go for me!

Samsung manuals are very nice, better than average, I think.

Thomas
--
http://nxaustria.blogspot.com/

Thomas Wieser's gear list:Thomas Wieser's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?

Get a K5 while it's cheap. That's what I just did.

tecnoworld wrote:

1) no focus peaking
2) no in body IS

6) confirmed 800x600 EVF. Will it be sequential? Anyway, suboptimal res, considering higher res EVFs are out since months.

Overall a nice camera, with the above caveats, for me. I still keep my NX100 till: 1) NX20 is much cheaper or 2) NX1 is out with better sensor and EVF and possibly addressing the above points

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

1) no focus peaking

I find the AMOLED to be about as good as using focus peaking on my NEX. However, it requires good light to be equivalent. The annoying thing about NEX implementation is that it is difficult to turn on and off and it adversely effects composition (hard to tell what your scene will look like when it is all glowing red yellow or white). I think Pentax K-01 did a better job by making it so you can turn it on and off with the press of a button.

This isn't a show stopper for me, but it is a feature that should be included in any mirrorless camera, and I think you will see companies start to do so.

2) no in body IS

I don't think this will ever change for NX.

Would be nice, forgot to look for that one.

Would be nice.

? Not sure what you mean by this, a lens shutter? Anyway, I like that you can use either electronic first curtain or mechanical first curtain.

Resolution is still higher than any rear LCD, so not terrible and definitely a nice step up. Who knows on the type. Will have to wait and see.

The sensor on the NX20 is very good. Maybe not class leading, but definitely not bad. Improved JPEG would be nice for sake of reviews, but for RAW it is a huge step up from the NX100.

Eric
--

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 7, 2012

in the #5 I wanted to mean "external" wired shutter trigger, something possible with nx 100...

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
Enixler
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

not right, see page 32: "USB, A/V, and shutter release port"
The external shutter will be connected via usb (or at least the port).

rurouni
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?

How does thr Samsung Focus Assist feature work? I saw it in the manual and its like a green line that goes higher the more a subject is in focus (?)

Wonder if it works with adapted lenses as well hmm...

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

1) no focus peaking

I find the AMOLED to be about as good as using focus peaking on my NEX. However, it requires good light to be equivalent. The annoying thing about NEX implementation is that it is difficult to turn on and off and it adversely effects composition (hard to tell what your scene will look like when it is all glowing red yellow or white). I think Pentax K-01 did a better job by making it so you can turn it on and off with the press of a button.

This isn't a show stopper for me, but it is a feature that should be included in any mirrorless camera, and I think you will see companies start to do so.

iÍt would be nice to also have an OVF with a focus peaking overlay some day ... (that you can switch on and off with a button)
But the only company that I think would be able to do that is probably Fuji.

Samsung could do it e.g. via the hot shoe serial connection, but what probably hinders them is their lack of vision.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

1) no focus peaking
2) no in body IS

nah. you won't get option 2 if it did.

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to Enixler, May 7, 2012

that's why I put the question mark (I wasn't sure).

so...dedicated external shutter release (expensive for sure)...

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to rurouni, May 7, 2012

I personally find it very unuseful and prefer the focus enlargement.

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

viking79 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

1) no focus peaking

2) no in body IS

I don't think this will ever change for NX.

Would be nice, forgot to look for that one.

Would be nice.

? Not sure what you mean by this, a lens shutter? Anyway, I like that you can use either electronic first curtain or mechanical first curtain.

Resolution is still higher than any rear LCD, so not terrible and definitely a nice step up. Who knows on the type. Will have to wait and see.

The sensor on the NX20 is very good. Maybe not class leading, but definitely not bad. Improved JPEG would be nice for sake of reviews, but for RAW it is a huge step up from the NX100.

Eric
--

my thoughts on this are as follows?

1.> focus peaking - good feature to have but not really something I can't live with. the DMF feature is more than enough for accurate focusing.

2.> no in-body IS - it's a Samsung camera, not a Sony or Pentax.

3.> record button remapping - I'm not sure what to add considering there is already a lot buttons and I-functionality. the only issue I might have with it is the record button's location.

4.> 1/8000 for legacy lenses - obviously Samsung is marketing their NX lenses for their cameras.

5.> external mechanical shutter - this got me confused unless you are referring to lens shutters which is not really a standard norm with today's lenses or digital camera designs.

6.> 800x600 EVF - exactly how much resolution do you exactly need for effective and efficient camera viewing? does it affect the results you get out of the camera?

snake_b
Like?
In reply to Ariston, May 7, 2012

Lots of apologists here for a cam not even formally introduced!

tecnoworld
Like?

when an APS-C camera costs this much, I'm expecting the best tech on the market, especially if it's from a brand which is not yet recognized as one of the most important players in the field.

so I'd want features that other manufacturers implement, such as focus peaking, Oled high res EVF (possibly as high as nex7 one or higher since that one has been on the market for months, now), in body is.

the only feature that sounded "above the line" was 1/8000 shutter, but is not available with legacy lenses, so it's an half feature for me.

I'm happy for those that can find reasons for every weakpoint, while I unfortunately can't

tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?
In reply to snake_b, May 7, 2012

snake_b wrote:

...a cam not even formally introduced!

you know more ? Do you fear that its a big swindle or fake ?

Maybe you can explain a bit more in detail on when you believe a product to be formally introduced....

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 893Gear list
Like?

Ariston wrote:

1.> focus peaking - good feature to have but not really something I can't live with. the DMF feature is more than enough for accurate focusing.

DMF is not that useful if the AF fails in the first place (low light ...)

The AF first starts pumping and when it fails then it will accept DMF input via the focusing ring. That can be pretty annoying sometimes.

MF instead of AF/DMF is an option, but you can only magnify the center area and there is no way to move that area. Focus Peaking would come in very handy in this case.

It would be very nice if the magnified area could be moved (just like you can move the AF area) but Samsung have not thought about that or find it'S not as important as shoot-wow-share-now-wifi and other stuff targeted at a CSC-with-standard-zoom-point-and-shoot audience (which might be most of their customers anyway, so no reason to blame Samsung for that)

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
snake_b
Like?

I believe it will be formally introduced soon.

tjobbe wrote:

snake_b wrote:

...a cam not even formally introduced!

you know more ? Do you fear that its a big swindle or fake ?

Maybe you can explain a bit more in detail on when you believe a product to be formally introduced....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads