The Leica M9-P article.

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
BamaPanda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
The Leica M9-P article.
May 7, 2012

I find it so interesting how live view ...at it's inception ..was regarded so contemptuously by many. Now it is seen in a completely different light.

Quote from article.

I suspect there may be technical reasons why Leica does not offer live view in its digital M-series models, but it is annoying nonetheless that I could get more precise focussing and framing from my 1953-vintage M3 than I can from the M9. 'How so?' you ask. Well, there was a door in the back of the M3 (and subsequent film M models) specifically designed to allow access to the film plane, so you could place a sheet of ground glass in there for critical focussing and composition. Now admittedly I've never done that, but that's not the point - the point is that the need of some customers for more critical focussing and composition than could be achieved using the viewfinder alone was recognised by Leica in the 1950s.

MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Re: The Leica M9-P article.
In reply to BamaPanda, May 7, 2012

Ya, I read that too

Mind you, back in the 80'ies everyone who saw themselves as serious photographers were down on AF too... "It would never be as fast as a real photographer" "It would never be as precise" "It is a gimmick for consumers and not for real photographers"...

From what I have read, this was also the case back when 35mm film was introduced, too small, real photographers would never be satisfied with the low quality, bad resolution and dynamic range...

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to MadsR, May 7, 2012

Well, in fairness, the early implementation of live-view were pretty poor, and pretty deserving of contempt. That was pretty much true of early AF. I could focus track better than the early AF systems. And film came a long way over the years. The truth is that the early Leica's were pretty limited in what you could expect in terms of print sizes and sharpness because of the small film size.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
villagranvicent
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
In reply to BamaPanda, May 7, 2012

I think Leica people know they have to be as far as possible as any other camera brand in terms of features, as long as they remain "purists" with their approach will be fine, they have their niche which is a very loyal one.

villagranvicent's gear list:villagranvicent's gear list
Leica X1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +1 more
hello world
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
In reply to villagranvicent, May 7, 2012

If I would have the $$ I would have an M9. I love their concept of no bull 1000 features camera. Simple; few buttons, no crap.

Unfortunately the lack of features seems to cost more than an ocean of them for no reason given. I cannot say an M9 outperforms the GH2 to justify the price difference (and in many ways the GH2 is even better).

If the Leica's were priced as they should be priced (no 1000%+ margin), it would be a good camera. Anyway my guess is they won't be around very much longer.

villagranvicent wrote:

I think Leica people know they have to be as far as possible as any other camera brand in terms of features, as long as they remain "purists" with their approach will be fine, they have their niche which is a very loyal one.

SphericalAberration
Contributing MemberPosts: 894Gear list
Like?
In reply to hello world, May 7, 2012

hello world wrote:

. Anyway my guess is they won't be around very much longer.

Which company are you talking about
Panasonic's Q3 results showed a $9 billion loss with talk of restructuring.
Leica made considerable profit and are building two new factories.

SphericalAberration's gear list:SphericalAberration's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica M9 Leica M9-P Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +3 more
Johann D
Contributing MemberPosts: 608
Like?
Re: The Leica M9-why no live view...
In reply to SphericalAberration, May 7, 2012

How 'bout because they use a Kodak CCD sensor?

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?
In reply to SphericalAberration, May 7, 2012

SphericalAberration wrote:

hello world wrote:

. Anyway my guess is they won't be around very much longer.

Which company are you talking about
Panasonic's Q3 results showed a $9 billion loss with talk of restructuring.

$9B loss is with Sanyo acquisition writedown. Operating loss is 8B yen .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads