Alright folks. Re-purchased 5DM3 kit. What lens to buy now?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
BillyGoatGruff
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
Alright folks. Re-purchased 5DM3 kit. What lens to buy now?
May 7, 2012

I figured that by the time all of the customers ahead of me get their 5DM3’s, Canon will have sold off their “xxxxx1” and “xxxxx2” units. So I went ahead and bought the 5DM3 kit. So I’ll have a 24-105 L lens to use for those few ‘family’ or school events that don’t need telephoto and where a large white lens would simply look ridiculous.

But I need a telephoto too.

I’m thinking of buying either the 70-300 L or the 28-300 L.

From what I’ve read, the IQ on the 70-300 is a little better and the autofocus is substantially faster than that of the 28-300. Of course, it’s also quite a bit shorter which is nice.

But on the other hand, I don’t like switching lenses. There’s a clear advantage to putting one lens on the camera and rarely switching it. And for that reason, the 28-300 is very attractive. Plus, at the shorter focal lengths you get f/3.5, which is also quite nice.

What would you folks do if in my shoes?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mr Mason
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Alright folks. Re-purchased 5DM3 kit. What lens to buy now?
In reply to BillyGoatGruff, May 7, 2012

Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS or Sigma 120-300 f2.8 VC. Both marvellous, by all accounts.

Mr Mason's gear list:Mr Mason's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillyGoatGruff
Like?
In reply to Mr Mason, May 7, 2012

Mr Mason wrote:

Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS or Sigma 120-300 f2.8 VC. Both marvellous, by all accounts.

As for the 100-400, I really don’t need the added zoom. 300mm is plenty for me. And since there’s no speed improvement, the 100-400 doesn’t offer anything I can find useful.

As for the Sigma, it’s got the speed, but I categorically don’t buy third party lenses.

DGWeiss
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

BillyGoatGruff wrote:

As for the Sigma, it’s got the speed, but I categorically don’t buy third party lenses.

One problem I would have with third party lenses is that I do not know of a way to get distortion correction for them from within DPP. (I have used DXO in the past, and they probably have corrections for most lenses I would want to buy, but I'd like to stick with DPP these days.) Does anyone here know of a way?
--
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Or, get out your 50mm/1.2.

DGWeiss's gear list:DGWeiss's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,780Gear list
Like?
In reply to DGWeiss, May 7, 2012

I recenly bought a 70-300 L. It's optically fantastic at every focal length and the IS is amazing.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,145
Like?

If you get the affected camera with the serial number are you going to return it again? With all your negative hoopla on light leak and dissatisfaction of Canon's solution I hope you get the un-affected camera.

shaktipalooza
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?
how is a white lens "ridiculous"?

BillyGoatGruff wrote:

I figured that by the time all of the customers ahead of me get their 5DM3’s, Canon will have sold off their “xxxxx1” and “xxxxx2” units. So I went ahead and bought the 5DM3 kit. So I’ll have a 24-105 L lens to use for those few ‘family’ or school events that don’t need telephoto and where a large white lens would simply look ridiculous.

But I need a telephoto too.

I’m thinking of buying either the 70-300 L or the 28-300 L.

From what I’ve read, the IQ on the 70-300 is a little better and the autofocus is substantially faster than that of the 28-300. Of course, it’s also quite a bit shorter which is nice.

But on the other hand, I don’t like switching lenses. There’s a clear advantage to putting one lens on the camera and rarely switching it. And for that reason, the 28-300 is very attractive. Plus, at the shorter focal lengths you get f/3.5, which is also quite nice.

What would you folks do if in my shoes?

-- hide signature --
BillyGoatGruff
Like?
Re: how is a white lens "ridiculous"?
In reply to shaktipalooza, May 7, 2012

A 7.2” white lens? Can you imagine carrying that around at your kid’s elementary school play? You’d look ridiculous!

A 7.2” black lens wouldn’t look a whole lot better either, but white is definitely worse.

dgovoni
Contributing MemberPosts: 744
Like?
Put a LensCoat on it

N/T

-- hide signature --

dennis

ArabiaSandStorm
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?

Where did you get the kit? Can't find it anywhere except DigitalRev (they are selling old stock, confirmed) and eBay (most probably the same!)

Personally, I will not order until I get a confirmation from seller that it is from new batch, as old batch will soon appear in the re-furbished list and I am not planning to pay full price on a refurb-like.

As for the lens. I purchased Sigma twice (150mm macro and the 150-500) and returned them both for various reasons (IQ) now I am seriously thinking of 70-200 F2.8 IS II with 2X. I plan to purchase it with the 5DM3 to benefit from the double rebate (-$400 on both)

shaktipalooza
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?
In reply to BillyGoatGruff, May 8, 2012

I don't dictate what I'm carrying based on how it looks, but how it's going to perform in a given situation.

I won't hesitate to bring a 300mm f/2.8 lens to a dance performance. It's going to add another 'look' to the set of images I can present to a client. If you're in an auditorium, you need the brightest glass you can get.

Traveling around the world I'm sure to get much more attention with the 300 and an arsenal of L glass. I recently went to Myanmar w/o the 300 due to perceived weight and security issues. That will be the last time I make such a mistake. It will now come with me on any trip.

-- hide signature --
DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,524Gear list
Like?
Krylon black spray paint for you
In reply to BillyGoatGruff, May 8, 2012

There's a good reason why those L lenses are colored off-white. Do you know what it is? Not knowing could make you look ridiculous.

filmluvr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093
Like?
In reply to shaktipalooza, May 8, 2012

shaktipalooza wrote:

Traveling around the world I'm sure to get much more attention with the 300 and an arsenal of L glass.

Why do you want attention? I frequently travel in SE Asia, and I'm a big fan of street photography. A big, white tele would ruin nearly every shot.

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644Gear list
Like?
In reply to tocar, May 8, 2012

tocar wrote:

If you get the affected camera with the serial number are you going to return it again? With all your negative hoopla on light leak and dissatisfaction of Canon's solution I hope you get the un-affected camera.

Hey tocar, do you think that camera will come with a generous helping of crow? Re: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=41402634

Steve

John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,629Gear list
Like?
I was waiting for someone to bring this up :)
In reply to DotCom Editor, May 8, 2012

hint - physics

If you want unobtrusive then perhaps a m4/3rds based camera

If you want best pictures there is a reason you see all those Canon off-white lenses at outdoor pro sporting events and that the lenses are not black.
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,145
Like?
LOL
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, May 8, 2012

you're funny! I betcha when the camera comes he'll return it again and start a whole new thread about how the he!! the old serials are still in circulation! I would burst out laughing if he got the same serial number but with the infamous black tape!

Kevin Jorgensen
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
In reply to filmluvr, May 8, 2012

filmluvr wrote:

Why do you want attention? I frequently travel in SE Asia, and I'm a big fan of street photography. A big, white tele would ruin nearly every shot.

Interesting assessment. How come?

Kevin Jorgensen's gear list:Kevin Jorgensen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +2 more
johnclark747
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
In reply to Kevin Jorgensen, May 9, 2012

My observation is you get a few more looks with a white lens. Going all black people usually don't pay attention.

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,255
Like?
Re: I was waiting for someone to bring this up :)
In reply to John Mason, May 9, 2012

John Mason wrote:

hint - physics

If you want unobtrusive then perhaps a m4/3rds based camera

If you want best pictures there is a reason you see all those Canon off-white lenses at outdoor pro sporting events and that the lenses are not black.
--

Although the white colouring was originally introduced to help counter the effect of heat build up in Canon's long telephoto lenses, it is now used increasingly as a marketing tool.

Whilst 300, 500 and 800mm might benefit, lenses such as the EF70-200 F4L and IS version do not really gain anything from this white treatment (other than perhaps in sales simply because some customers do seem to like the look). But discrete it is not and I think many people, myself included, would prefer the black finish to be used on the less extreme focal lengths.

AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyGoatGruff, May 9, 2012

The 28-300L is: 11 x 6 x 5 inches ; 3.7 pounds
Seems the 70-300L is a better option for you

BillyGoatGruff wrote:

A 7.2” white lens? Can you imagine carrying that around at your kid’s elementary school play? You’d look ridiculous!

A 7.2” black lens wouldn’t look a whole lot better either, but white is definitely worse.

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads