The NEX Sony G Lens

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions
OzK
OzK
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
The NEX Sony G Lens
May 7, 2012

I have the CZ 24mm lens, but I really need a top quality zoom lens as well.

I am thinking about changing camera system at the moment, and I am also part of Alpha...

Can anybody tell me what the specs are going to be for the new sony G lens.... if indeed anybody does have an inkling of what this lens is.

No worries if no hard facts yet...

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: The NEX Sony G Lens
In reply to OzK, May 7, 2012

No idea about specs, but you can bet it'll be A) big and B) expensive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
i3c
i3c
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
In reply to cptrios, May 7, 2012

cptrios wrote:

No idea about specs, but you can bet it'll be A) big and B) expensive.

And not due 'till 2013 - likely, the end of 2013 the way things are going

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,570Gear list
Like?

Information on this lens is scarce, even just rumours. I believe it was on the roadmap for this year, but has been moved to next year.

As a stopgap I've opted to get the 17-50mm f/2.8 Sigma (stabilized). So far it seems to be an excellent standard zoom, but weighs a lot.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,738Gear list
Like?

If you have Alpha DSLR camera, just buy a G lens for your alpha and use it on your NEX.

Dual useage... way to go in my book.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Masterbrew
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, May 7, 2012

I am really interested in this lens as well. It seems pretty much perfect, I mean wider than the kit, and large aperture at both ends.

Are there any kind of negatives with these kinds of lenses usually? Is it unlikely to have OSS for example?

OzK
OzK
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, May 7, 2012

GodSpeaks wrote:

If you have Alpha DSLR camera, just buy a G lens for your alpha and use it on your NEX.

Dual useage... way to go in my book.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

I have a Sony a 77 too... Complete with the 16-50lens... It just doesn't feel right, LA-EA1 adapter which is painfully slow... So having sold that I'm now working out where I go next!

All of this pain is stemming from the fact that sony created far too good a camera in the DSC-R1! I wish they would just rereleased that camera with an updated back.... All my problems would be solved in one sweep!!

i3c
i3c
Like?

OzK wrote:

All of this pain is stemming from the fact that sony created far too good a camera in the DSC-R1! I wish they would just rereleased that camera with an updated back.... All my problems would be solved in one sweep!!

or that lens with an e-mount.

OzK
OzK
Like?
In reply to i3c, May 7, 2012

i3c wrote:

OzK wrote:

or that lens with an e-mount.

That would be a dream! Sadly Nex was stupidly designed with an 18mm gap instead of the 2mm of the dsc-r1.... Understandable for scratch reasons.... But because of that we'll never see a similar sized sized lens for the Nex!

And I wish the zoom would just be a t* coated lens... I'd happily pay for that. G lenses make me sigh!

win39
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,825
Like?

Michael Reichmann over a Luminous Landscape said that he really, really liked the Sony Alpha 16-50/2.8 with the EAII adaptor on the NEX 7 as a walk around lens. I looked at the test over at slrgear and it is really an exceptional lens. The combo did not look too big in the LL video.

win39
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,825
Like?
Why not...

...get the fast focusing adaptor? You have the lens.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,907Gear list
Like?
In reply to win39, May 7, 2012

win39 wrote:

Michael Reichmann over a Luminous Landscape said that he really, really liked the Sony Alpha 16-50/2.8 with the EAII adaptor on the NEX 7 as a walk around lens. I looked at the test over at slrgear and it is really an exceptional lens. The combo did not look too big in the LL video.

I tried that lens on my 5N and came to a different conclusion. It was large and heavy to me, but I gave up on a Nikon DSLR with the 18-200 VR lens because I couldn't just carry it in my hand and had to use a neck strap for any kind of extended shooting. That was the same conclusion I came to with the 16-50/2.8. It's an incredible lens though . . . if it just wasn't so large (I really, really wanted it to work).

Here was mine next to a 55-210:

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
OzK
OzK
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, May 7, 2012

sean lancaster wrote:

win39 wrote:

I tried that lens on my 5N and came to a different conclusion. It was large and heavy to me, but I gave up on a Nikon DSLR with the 18-200 VR lens because I couldn't just carry it in my hand and had to use a neck strap for any kind of extended shooting. That was the same conclusion I came to with the 16-50/2.8. It's an incredible lens though . . . if it just wasn't so large (I really, really wanted it to work).

Here was mine next to a 55-210:

Ah yes - that looks all to familiar... in short it's as long as the a77 pretty much once you have the adaptor which defeats the object!

Personally I think Sony have got the NEX wrong in a lot of ways... but really really right for enthusiasts wanting to use manual lenses.

I basically want the cz16-80... but without any adaptors!

The G will likely be a nasty lens... the should have got Mr Zeiss on the case a long time ago, it would have been out by now!

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,907Gear list
Like?

If a lens like the 16-50 existed in a slightly smaller, but certainly emount format then I'd pay pretty good money for it. I'd sell my Zeiss 24 for this hypothetical lens.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
i3c
i3c
Like?

OzK wrote:

Me too -- except -- with stabilization.
Zeiss does not do stabilization.

Phaelix
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?

OzK wrote:

The G will likely be a nasty lens... the should have got Mr Zeiss on the case a long time ago, it would have been out by now!

What are you basing this on, OzK? Seems kind of arbitrary... the other Alpha G lenses that have been made for purpose rather than rebadged (think 70-400G) have pretty stellar reputations.

IMO a high quality, compact 16-50 f/4 G would be a perfect partner for the NEX-7.

Phaelix's gear list:Phaelix's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to i3c, May 8, 2012

i3c wrote:

OzK wrote:

You must have an assistant to carry the camera/lens. Photography managed for years without stabilization. High ISO is better than ever. Why make the lens larger and heavier when you are talking a supposedly compact camera system? I would rather shoot at high ISO, or resort to a monopod when needed. I hope that size trumps stabilization. I would even accept a very high quality f/4.0, but most top end standard zooms are f2.8. I'll have to think about an f/4.0 with three stop stabilization.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
i3c
i3c
Like?
In reply to Gary H, May 8, 2012

Gary H wrote:

i3c wrote:

OzK wrote:

You must have an assistant to carry the camera/lens. Photography managed for years without stabilization. High ISO is better than ever. Why make the lens larger and heavier when you are talking a supposedly compact camera system? I would rather shoot at high ISO, or resort to a monopod when needed. I hope that size trumps stabilization. I would even accept a very high quality f/4.0, but most top end standard zooms are f2.8. I'll have to think about an f/4.0 with three stop stabilization.

I think it's fast lenses that are bigger & heavier not stabilized lenses.

The kit lens is stabilized and not that big or heavy. Even my Canon s90 has optical stabilization.

Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to i3c, May 8, 2012

Yes, that is why I said that f/4.0 stabilized .. maybe.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
OzK
OzK
Like?
In reply to Gary H, May 8, 2012

Gary H wrote:

i3c wrote:

OzK wrote:

That's one thing the dsc-r1 also didn't have: stabilisation! Do you think the nearer the sensor the harder it is to have in body stabilisation?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads