lou Capeloto
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
imac 10.6.8 with lightroom 4.1 beachball nightmare
May 7, 2012

HI

I had Lightroom 3.6 no problems 4.1 rc seems to be presenting problems

Seems to freeze a lot with spinning beach ball on mac

closed down lightroom , closed down mac, optimized lightroom nothing seems to work to fix this issue

The adjustment brush and spot removal tools present the biggest problem.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problems

Thanks

LC
--
http://www.corot.smugmug.com

pprior
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
Re: imac 10.6.8 with lightroom 4.1 beachball nightmare
In reply to lou Capeloto, May 7, 2012

Have had same problems here. There are numerous threads all over the web about how slow 4/4.1 is. There is something majorly wrong and it's remarkable to me that a company with the resources of Adobe hasn't figured it out / fixed it yet.

the clone brush takes sometimes 1-2 seconds per little move to update. It's horrid.

(BTW, I downloaded the 4.1RC2 to see if it would fix. Not only didn't it fix it, but it caused a bug that ended up with me having to restore my entire 800GB library from a time machine backup, so I would stay away from it!)

-- hide signature --

This message was created with 100% post-consumer electrons

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark K W
Contributing MemberPosts: 888
Like?
In reply to lou Capeloto, May 7, 2012

Poor performance of LR4 is affecting a number of users. It is not so dependent on HW specification (though driving high-resolution and second monitors really slows it down) - I believe it is more-so to do with your images and how you process them (e.g. use of noise reduction, brushes, many adjustments to make large history stack, large MP image sizes, etc.,).

LR4.1 RC2 was Adobe's latest attempt to improve the problems. From my observation on the Adobe Forums for many people it has not. I would presume Adobe is working on RC3, but they have been very quiet since the release of RC2.

All you can do is tolerate the LR4 poor performance, or go back to LR3.6 and wait for a good LR4.x release. Thinking to change your HW is not the answer at this stage as even the most powerful machine possible does not guarantee acceptable LR4 performance. Adobe have suggested some LR4 configuration and set-up tweaks, but those do not seem to really yield much performance improvement either.

[Of course you could also switch to Aperture...]

deep7
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
In reply to Mark K W, May 8, 2012

I even find LR3.6 too slow. So much so that I only use it as a basic RAW converter - I then ship the files off to LR1.4, which absolutely flies by comparison. What the heck are Adobe thinking, making something which was once brilliant into a bit of a dog's breakfast? It's not just the speed either...
--
Don.

A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

mbaginy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792
Like?
Had similar performance...
In reply to lou Capeloto, May 8, 2012

...after updating to LR4. I quit rendering 1:1 thumbnails upon import, deleted those I had and all developing suddenly sped up dramatically! No more spinning beach ball.

My 27" iMac isn't the most recent (3.2 GHz, i3 with 8 GB DDR3 RAM) and keeps acting up since I've updated to LION. But since I've performed that change, LR4 is a true delight to use!

Are you using a number of 1:1 thumbnails? Maybe my solution is worth a try.
--
Mike

Photomonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347Gear list
Like?
In reply to deep7, May 10, 2012

deep7 wrote:

What the heck are Adobe thinking, making something which was once brilliant into a bit of a dog's breakfast? >

They are just doing the traditional larding up of a product in response to people saying "Why doesn't it do (insert resource hogging feature here)?

Cameras are the same way. We now have cameras doing everything short of retirement planning and the whiners are still not satisfied.

deep7
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
In reply to Photomonkey, May 10, 2012

Photomonkey wrote:

deep7 wrote:

What the heck are Adobe thinking, making something which was once brilliant into a bit of a dog's breakfast? >

They are just doing the traditional larding up of a product in response to people saying "Why doesn't it do (insert resource hogging feature here)?

Cameras are the same way. We now have cameras doing everything short of retirement planning and the whiners are still not satisfied.

You might be right! Still, you think they'd find a way to do the extras without slowing down the basics. I mean, Aperture has got quicker, not slower, while it has picked up more capability. Heavy sigh....
--
Don.

A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
In reply to lou Capeloto, May 10, 2012

lou Capeloto wrote:

HI

I had Lightroom 3.6 no problems 4.1 rc seems to be presenting problems

Seems to freeze a lot with spinning beach ball on mac

closed down lightroom , closed down mac, optimized lightroom nothing seems to work to fix this issue

The adjustment brush and spot removal tools present the biggest problem.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problems

First stop:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Pay particular attention to the option for running in 64bit, ensuring you have sufficient ram, sufficient disk space and a fast disk (all quite important for localised/brushed edits).

If you've already done all that, then it's mostly only waiting for Adobe to fix it (and perhaps Apple if the OS is contributing to the problem).

On the fly image processing is complex. With Aperture, Apple took the approach of exploiting all the processing capabilities by utilising GPUs in the processing (not without its own issues). Adobe have moved to this in the latest version of Photoshop but it is still some way off for Lightroom. They therefore need to solve it by implement clever algorithms to optimise the the process. Something they are very good at and hold a lot of patents for.

Over in the Lightroom forum at Adobe they have alluded to a bottle neck, but not precisely what the bottle neck is, so they are evidently aware of issues and are likely working to resolve them.

Until that happens, you may need to apply some self-help. Here's what I would do:

a) Eliminate Lightroom entirely from the system. As part of the complex processing, caches, preferences and all manner of temporary files get created that may become out of date or corrupted as software is updated and/or crashes. So a complete removal gives you the cleanest possible re-starting point.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4064225

Note: Do not delete your catalog folders.

b) Re-install the latest RC and re-attach your catalog/libraries to it.

c) Leave it be for a while. There are likely dozens of background processes going on after the re-attach. Give them proper time to complete.

d) Run the repair options to allow it to validate and repair the catalog and metadata.

e) (optional) Test old some old images against some new images with different types of edits to see if they perform the same. I'd do this just to see if previous image metadata may have had issues being upgraded.

f) Test a range of adjustments and see if specific types of adjustments are performing better than others. Depending on the type of adjustments, there are sometime more than one way to achieve a result, and you may find, for example, the new curves to be better for applying contrast related edits.

-Najinsky

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads