The new Olympus 60mm macro lens

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
Willing
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
The new Olympus 60mm macro lens
May 6, 2012

By looking at this image

the new macro lens looks pretty long or big compared to the PL 45mm macro. Both has 1:1 ratio macro and the PL has IS built-in and Olympus is weather sealed. My question is why does the Olympus 60mm look much longer or bigger than the PL 45mm? Plus the side switch on the 60mm macro looks odd to me.

Willing's gear list:Willing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
No idea...
In reply to Willing, May 6, 2012

But it should have a longer working distance than the Pana, which is useful for bug-botherers. Any ideas on price?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FritsThomsen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
Re: No idea...
In reply to don_van_vliet, May 6, 2012

The switsh is a focuslimiter ..you can set it to only AF in a certain interval ...like 0,19m to 0.4 meter so it doesnt have to hunt at all distances all the way to infinity.
--
Please visit my galleries at :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoicz/
or
http://www.naturephotos.dk/NaturePhotos_ejergalleri.php?menu=3&_Ejer=57

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,902
Like?
Re: Size...
In reply to FritsThomsen, May 6, 2012

Most likely it has in internal focusing design, which means it won't extend to double it's size when at full macro.

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,163Gear list
Like?
Re: The new Olympus 60mm macro lens

Willing wrote:

By looking at this image

; the new macro lens looks pretty long or big compared to the PL 45mm macro. Both has 1:1 ratio macro and the PL has IS built-in and Olympus is weather sealed. My question is why does the Olympus 60mm look much longer or bigger than the PL 45mm? Plus the side switch on the 60mm macro looks odd to me.

The alleged Oly macro lens is reputed to be weather sealed, so the easy way to seal is to have no telescoping bits as it focuses closer. It's probably always a constant length from base to lens front, just like the Oly 12-50mm lens. That's my guess, but we will wait until we see one in action.....

The rotary switch will make life easy when using the lens as it enables the user to select the focus range, thus speeding up focus. Ever used the Oly 50mm macro as it swings from infinity to 1:1 and back again a few times as it finds focus? Usually I can fit a coffee or two in while it decides where to focus, the switched method makes it all work faster but needs some intelligence on the part of the user.

By the way, the minimum focus distance of 190mm shown will always be from the sensor plane to the subject, so things are getting close to the lens front at 1:1, maybe not an insect botherer's lens after all. Usually these internal focus lenses shorten their focal length as they focus closer thus making the 1:1 situation worse than expected for lens front to subject clearance.

For insect bothering I fiddle with an old Nikon fit Cosina 100mm macro and get huge working distance from the lens front.

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,945Gear list
Like?

Willing wrote:

By looking at this image

the new macro lens looks pretty long or big compared to the PL 45mm macro. Both has 1:1 ratio macro and the PL has IS built-in and Olympus is weather sealed. My question is why does the Olympus 60mm look much longer or bigger than the PL 45mm? Plus the side switch on the 60mm macro looks odd to me.

Based on the pictures I have seen, it is just about as much longer than the 45 as the difference in FL would lead us to expect. The 45 is 62.5 mm long and I'd estimate the length of the 60 to no more than 80 mm. It looks slightly shorter than the 12-50 which is 83 mm.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 6, 2012

That's what I was going to say. It looks just a bit shorter length as my Nikon 60mm macro after the adapter is attached.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Willing
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 6, 2012

You can also see the new 75mm f1.8 is about the same height as the 60mm macro. But how come the 75mm lens is not longer than the 60mm macro if the FL is the reason to have a longer length? There must be something added to the 60mm macro (weather sealing?) for such a long lens.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
MAubrey
Like?

It's probably because the 75mm doesn't has as close of a focusing distance as the 60mm.
--
--Mike

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,929Gear list
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, May 6, 2012

Internal focus on the macro and traditional to us on the 75.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
bacteria
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?

Why does a 60mm lens look bigger than a 45mm lens?

Anders W
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, May 6, 2012

DLBlack wrote:

Internal focus on the macro and traditional to us on the 75.

Both are likely to have internal focus. But as MAubrey pointed out, the 60 has to focus considerably closer than the 75. That's why it has to be made longer.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?

Macro lenses have longer focal lenghts at close distances, that's why they can reproduce stuff at bigger magnifications.

For instance, Olympus 45mm has MFD at 50cm and mag. ratio 0.11x while Panasonic 45mm macro has MFD at 15.24cm and mag. ratio of 1x.
The distance is bit more than 3x closer, but magnification ratio is over 9x.

Now, if you get 2x closer your AoV will decrease by half, meaning magnification will increase by 2x.

As you can see, PL 45mm at it's closest max focus distance is longer than 45mm (as are most macro lenses).

That and the fact it's internal focus makes the lens longer, but it's still not big at all and fixed size makes for better construction and doesn't scare off little critters like external focusing lenses.

Willing wrote:

You can also see the new 75mm f1.8 is about the same height as the 60mm macro. But how come the 75mm lens is not longer than the 60mm macro if the FL is the reason to have a longer length? There must be something added to the 60mm macro (weather sealing?) for such a long lens.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Marin

Anders W
Like?

Willing wrote:

Both lenses are likely to have internal focus (i.e., do not extend forward when you focus on a nearby object). But the 60 has to focus far closer than the 75 in order to manage a 1:1 reproduction ratio. Hence, there must be more room for the lens elements to move inside the lens. That's why the 60 has to be made longer.

Anders W
Like?
Re: Size...
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, May 6, 2012

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Most likely it has in internal focusing design, which means it won't extend to double it's size when at full macro.

Yes, I agree that it is likely to have internal focus. But that does not explain the length difference compared to the PL 45 macro since both lenses have internal focus and both go to 1:1. So in this case, the explanation is the difference in focal length.

MAubrey
Like?
In reply to bacteria, May 7, 2012

See the rest of the thread above.
--
--Mike

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to Willing, May 7, 2012

It looks a good lens, and well built, but I prefer the Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: I like this one

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Torch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?

Looks great and you are not talking IQ?
Too long too keep? Hilarious !
Then I think your desire is Pentax Q.
--

Torch

Willing
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, May 7, 2012

Maybe I shouldn't compare the 60mm to the 75mm. But I still think the 60mm looks a bit too long than what it should be. If you look at the Canon 60mm macro, it is not much longer than the PL 45mm( you can compare specs for both lenses on web) and I bet the Olympus 60mm in fact is made longer than Canon 60mm. What do you think?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads