Canon's Loyalty Program

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
ISOKC
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Canon's Loyalty Program
May 6, 2012

Just an update on this program. I recently purchased a T3i through this program. Total cost was $590 after tax for the T3i body and the 18-55 kit lens. That seemed to be a pretty good price. You do have to send them an old Canon digital camera that is out of warranty. They pay for the shipping on your old camera. I went to the local swap meet and found an old busted up Canon camera that I purchased for $5 and used that for my mandatory recycled camera that is sent back to Canon.

When I recieved the package, everything was neatly packed in what I thought looked like original packaging. I have yet to see any signs of usage or marks on the camera and lens. It looks brand new.

The down side of this deal is that the warranty is cut down to 90 days on the camera. You also have to be comfortable with the whole "refurbished" idea, which I am.

After buying things of this nature, I make it a rule not to continue pricing because I don't want to see how much money I could have saved if I'd only have waited a month to purchase. Not sure if the price I paid is still a good one, but I thought I should pass my experience on as I first read about this deal on these forums.

You can call Canon and ask about their "Canon Loyalty Program" and the person on the phone will give you all the details.

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lepewhi
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Like?
Re: Canon's Loyalty Program
In reply to ISOKC, May 7, 2012

I thought that you had to have had your camera under warranty at some point. If it's not necessary, this is really good news. I got my camera in the States, but live in Europe. Since Canon USA wouldn't warranty it because I live elsewhere, I didn't register it. So when my 400 dies, I can upgrade to something better with this program even though it was never under Canon warranty? I know that I'll have to have it shipped in the States and have an address there, but that's easy to do. Is this correct? Thanks for any info. lepewhi

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580
Like?
In reply to Lepewhi, May 7, 2012

Your camera doesn't need to be under warranty and it never needs to have been under warranty. It's a good deal IMHO, but not a screaming good deal. For example, you can get a 7D body only for $1087, a T2i (550D) with kit lens is $448, without it's $383....What's available does change from week to week.

FF

Lepewhi
Like?
In reply to Flying Fish, May 7, 2012

Thanks for the info. It sounds like if a camera stops working, you can trade-up which is better than throwing it away and get a camera that has been returned and sorted through. Yea, maybe not a huge sale, but it's something. My 400 has some days left and still works very well, do wish it had video capture, but oh well. I'll continue shooting with it and when the time comes, I'll look into this program. Thanks for the info. Lepewhi

dwalby
Senior MemberPosts: 2,954
Like?
In reply to Lepewhi, May 12, 2012

Just for another reference point, I had a broken Canon P&S ready to send for the t2i I bought on the loyalty program. But they never sent me the shipping materials and never asked for it. They were going to pay for the shipping on a worthless, broken camera, so I'm not surprised they never asked.

Lepewhi wrote:

Thanks for the info. It sounds like if a camera stops working, you can trade-up which is better than throwing it away and get a camera that has been returned and sorted through. Yea, maybe not a huge sale, but it's something. My 400 has some days left and still works very well, do wish it had video capture, but oh well. I'll continue shooting with it and when the time comes, I'll look into this program. Thanks for the info. Lepewhi

BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,620Gear list
Like?
In reply to dwalby, May 12, 2012

Got a website for the Loyalty Program?

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,092
Like?
In reply to Lepewhi, May 12, 2012

Why wait til your 400 quits working? It might go on for a long time yet. Sell it, or give it and a kit lens to an aspiring young photographer, buy a broken Canon and send it in for the program. Technically you are 'loyal', having owned a Canon anyhow, and they aren't going to do anything with whatever you send them but toss it.

Give the 400 a chance to keep doing its thing, and take advantage of the loyalty program. The OP's price is incredible. Wish it had been anywhere near that when I bought my 'new in box' 450D a couple years ago. 18mp, tilt/swivel LCD, video, wish I had those.

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, May 12, 2012

BobT wrote:

Got a website for the Loyalty Program?

They don't have a website. Just call 1-800-OK-CANON and ask for the Loyalty Program.

EDIT: More info here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1088761/canon-loyalty-program-faqs-originally-from-potn

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Lepewhi
Like?
In reply to Midwest, May 12, 2012

Thanks again for the info. The reason I keep the camera is I like it. It's small, light, good for traveling, and of course I know it's limitations. I'd love to be able to have video, flip screen, higher ISO... But, I'm thinking about just adding a G12 or the newer version. I do have an old film EOS elan. Will they take that towards a G12? THanks, Lepewhi

NikonScavenger
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to ISOKC, May 13, 2012

I traded in a 1000D with a bad AF module for a refurb'd 40D. They gave me 200 for the 1000D, then sent me a camera with a bad popup flash module which wasn't exposing properly, then demanded sample shots to demonstrate the problem and refused to fix it because their 'tech experts' deemed nothing wrong. This wasn't long before I sold off my Canon gear and switched to Nikon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads