What does 'R' designate in Olympus MFT lens names?

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?
What does 'R' designate in Olympus MFT lens names?
May 6, 2012

Like the subject says can anyone please tell me what the 'R' in Olympus MFT lens names stands for?

E.g. What does the "M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6II R" have, that the "M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II Standard Wide Zoom" doesn't?

Looking at the descriptions these pages, it is not at all obvious, to me:

http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/PEN-Cameras/PEN-Lenses/M-Zuiko-Digital-14-42mm-f3-5-5-6II-R.aspx

http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/PEN-Cameras/PEN-Lenses/14-42mm-f3-5-5-6-II-Standard-Wide-Zoom- (PEN)-(1).aspx

At first I thought aha! retractable, then noticed the other was also retractable.

Then I noticed that one of the descriptions mentioned "the first version", so again aha! "revised", only to then notice that later version was the non 'R' version.

I also noticed that all the 'R' models were illustrated in silver metal finish,, but then again not all silver metal finish models are 'R' versions, so that is obviously not it.

So please what is 'R' inOlympus lens nomenclature?

Thanks in advance.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,222Gear list
Like?
Re: What does 'R' designate in Olympus MFT lens names?
In reply to jtan163, May 6, 2012

"Revised" probably. All they changed with the R lenses versus the immediately previous model is the design of the lens barrel, to make the design look more coherent when mounted on the latest PEN cameras (E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1).

The "R" lenses are more or less monochromatic, with the black 40-140 being all glossy black and the non-R lenses are two-tone, with the black version being matte black with a silver ring at the base.

The optics of the "II R" vs the "II" versions are identical, and so are the mechanics.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
judge_dredd
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?

I recall reading somewhere that the R stands for "removable bayonet ring" which pertains to the cosmetic ring covering the bayonet connector that you spin off when you want to attach a hood or other accessory.

P

judge_dredd's gear list:judge_dredd's gear list
Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Button Pusher
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?

Could it be the I want to be a pirate line of lenses? Arrrrrr matey. Shortened to R?

Bangers and Mash
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?
In reply to Klarno, May 6, 2012

Klarno wrote:

"Revised" probably. All they changed with the R lenses versus the immediately previous model is the design of the lens barrel, to make the design look more coherent when mounted on the latest PEN cameras (E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1).

The "R" lenses are more or less monochromatic, with the black 40-140 being all glossy black and the non-R lenses are two-tone, with the black version being matte black with a silver ring at the base.

The optics of the "II R" vs the "II" versions are identical, and so are the mechanics.

One of the reasons for the change 'R' is in the appearance. The newer version has a more metallic look to it. Not as plastic looking as the older version

-- hide signature --
kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,526Gear list
Like?

Looking at the 14-42 II and II R side-by-side. The II R has different grip surfaces for zoom and MF rings and a bayonet mount cover ring. Those is the only external differences as far as I can tell. There may be some internal differences.

jtan163
Like?
In reply to kgwhite, May 8, 2012

Thank you all for your responses.

It doesn't sound like anyone really knows, oh well I have a few months to find out before I have to make the choice, I'll keep searching.

Thanks Folks.

Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,755
Like?
In reply to jtan163, May 8, 2012

Isn't it that only the "R" lenses are advertised to: "incorporate the MSC (Movie & Still Compatible) mechanism and achieve fast, quiet AF using the inner focus method."

Sound to me like the old lenses got "r"evised while new ones don't need the "R" designation anyway.

Klarno
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, May 8, 2012

Timur Born wrote:

Isn't it that only the "R" lenses are advertised to: "incorporate the MSC (Movie & Still Compatible) mechanism and achieve fast, quiet AF using the inner focus method."

Sound to me like the old lenses got "r"evised while new ones don't need the "R" designation anyway.

No, the predecessors to the R lenses also are MSC designated. There is absolutely no difference in optical design between, say, the 14-42 II and the 14-42 II R, and they have the same autofocus performance with latest firmware. Same with the 40-150 and the 40-150 R (which covers all the R lenses right there).

R was a cosmetic change for the kit lenses for the E-P3, E-PL3 and E-PM1, nothing more. The only Olympus lenses that aren't MSC designated are the 17mm f/2.8 and the original 14-42 which was the basic kit lens for the E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1.

-- hide signature --
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?

It just means "Restyled", as there was just a cosmetic change between the Mark II & II R lenses. I actually prefer the styling of the Mark IIs, they look a bit less plasticy to me.

AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?

jtan163 wrote:

It doesn't sound like anyone really knows, oh well I have a few months to find out before I have to make the choice, I'll keep searching.

Thanks Folks.

You're getting proper responses. There is no published answer to your question of what the 'R' stands for. I think you're overlooking the responses to your question - it's all cosmetic...buy the one you think looks better.

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230Gear list
Like?
In reply to Optical1, May 8, 2012

Optical1 wrote:

jtan163 wrote:

Thanks Folks.

You're getting proper responses. There is no published answer to your question of what the 'R' stands for. I think you're overlooking the responses to your question - it's all cosmetic...buy the one you think looks better.

Or is cheaper...

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
[R]ing (after the new ring design)...? (nt)
-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
jtan163
Like?
In reply to Optical1, May 10, 2012

Optical1 wrote:

jtan163 wrote:

Thanks Folks.

Hi Optical and other posters,

Just to clarify I agree the responses I got were proper and appropriate and I have no problem with them and am grateful people took the time to respond.

As you say it's hard to find a published answer - I could not find one, which is why I asked here.

Anyway if I gave the impression that I thought the answers I had (and have since continued) to receive were not proper/acceptable/useful etc, then I apologise. That was not my intent.

I was trying to say that it looked like no one else had found or recollect an "official" definition of an "R" lense and that I'd keep looking.

I hope I haven't upset anyone.

Again, thank you all for your responses.
Jason

jtan163
Like?
In reply to jtan163, Jul 29, 2012

Ha!

I finally found what sounds like a credible answer from a credible source:

http://www.sansmirror.com/lenses/lens-faq/

Thom Hogan reckons that the R (at least on the 14-42) means a faster AF motor and a hidden converter bayonet.

II: This revision added a bayonet that supports add-on converters at the front of the lens

IIR: This revision hides the bayonet with a removable ring and reportedly also has a faster AF motor, which helps with the third-generation Olympus autofocus system (e.g. E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1)

Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,979Gear list
Like?
I HATE their new ring disigns!!!!
In reply to szlevi, Jul 29, 2012

What was wrong with the old one?

The new knurled design has a scratchy feeling, like all knurled devices. I'm looking for the right size rubber bands to cover them. I much prefer te feel of the old style, like on my 14-150.

Knurled metal bothers me so much that I had to wrap my Maglight in tape so I don't have to touch the knurled section.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?

jtan163 wrote:

Ha!

Thom Hogan reckons that the R (at least on the 14-42) means a faster AF motor and a hidden converter bayonet.

II: This revision added a bayonet that supports add-on converters at the front of the lens

IIR: This revision hides the bayonet with a removable ring and reportedly also has a faster AF motor, which helps with the third-generation Olympus autofocus system (e.g. E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1)

I think that the faster AF was implemented between version I and version II. At least that is what most people said when version II was issued. I do really think that there are only cosmetic changes between version II and II R. But the I've Bly ad version I and II R in my own hands.

Version II was a great improvement over version I, if there were a lot of differences between version II and II R, why did Olympus not change the name to version III. I think that Tom Hogan is confused here.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Klarno
Like?

jtan163 wrote:

Ha!

Except people who've used both on the later PEN models have found no difference in AF speed. And the 40-150 R doesn't have a fa├žade for the bayonet.

The 14-42 II and 40-150 were both updated via firmware to support the same "FAST" AF scheme employed in the E-P3, E-PL3 and E-PM1.

All the evidence points to a cosmetic change, and nothing else.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: I HATE their new ring disigns!!!!
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jul 29, 2012

My 14-42 1:3.5-5.6 has an L on it not an R

is this wildly different ??

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
Klarno
Like?
Re: I HATE their new ring disigns!!!!
In reply to deleted_081301, Jul 29, 2012

DickyUK wrote:

My 14-42 1:3.5-5.6 has an L on it not an R

is this wildly different ??

The original 14-42 was released with the E-P1. The 14-42 L was released with the E-PL1, with the same mechanics overall (the front element rotates as it focuses, right?) but with a plastic lens mount instead of metal. A "lite" version.

The 14-42 II was initially released with the E-PL1s in Japan, and then was included with the E-PL2 and E-P2 kits. This upgrade brought a silent "MSC" designated AF motor, internal focus, and a bayonet usable for a lens hood and various other attachments.

The current version, the 14-42 II R, was released with the E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1, both as a cosmetic change to fit the design of these metal-clad cameras, and to capitalize on the new "FAST AF" system in these cameras. The firmware of the 14-42 II was later updated to provide the same capability.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads