My view of the moon (share your own!)

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
AlexK-12
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
My view of the moon (share your own!)
May 6, 2012

The night sure was breathtaking last night. I got on my bike and rode along the golf course lakes with my a55. For the first time I'm not being picky about the noise and I'm just happy to have the picture. Most of these I had to heavily lighten the shadows and I'm more than pleased with the a55's raw performance.

But enough about my ramblings, I want to hear about your moon stories and see your photos from last night.

-- hide signature --

-AlexK

Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
beespeckled
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
Re: My view of the moon (share your own!)
In reply to AlexK-12, May 6, 2012

I like these landscapes Alex. Especially #4 with the shadows of the trees on the path, definitely evokes a bright moonlit night

I was hoping to get shots of the moon rising over Mt. Rainier, but of course the remainder of our clouds were hovering right in that spot! It was clear in my area so I found a pasture not far from my house where at least I could get a tree line for some interest. I used HHT mostly. Then later fog settled on this rolling pasture so was able to get some shots of this in the moon light also

These are all hand held. If it is clear tonight, I may try some not so super moon shots with the mountain on a tripod.

beespeckled's gear list:beespeckled's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony SLT-A77 Kodak EasyShare P850 Samsung AQ100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AlexK-12
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
In reply to beespeckled, May 6, 2012

Thanks for sharing! I especially like your 2nd and 4th picture. The fog is so eerie, I love it. I don't get much fog out here (if any) so it's always nice to see.
--
-AlexK

beespeckled
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
In reply to AlexK-12, May 6, 2012

usually the fog is not so prevalent this time of year but the temps were dropping into the high 30's last night. It was about 45 degrees when I took these photos

Thank you for your kind comments

beespeckled's gear list:beespeckled's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony SLT-A77 Kodak EasyShare P850 Samsung AQ100 +10 more
ColorPics
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
In reply to beespeckled, May 6, 2012

Very nice images, AlexK-12, like glow of the moon !

Regards,
Tom

ColorPics's gear list:ColorPics's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak EasyShare Z981 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V
Greg Reese
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to beespeckled, May 7, 2012

Amazingly the clouds parted for enough time here in beautiful Dayton, OH to get a shot of the supermoon. This is a 100% crop taken with the SAL70200, with some contrast enhancement in post processing.

When I was setting up the moon was behind this tree. I was going to get the moon in a space in the branches but didn't do it. However, I think the tree came out sort of neat. It's actually all green but the red tint must be coming from the street lights (it was about a quarter past one in the morning). This shot was with a Tamron 18-250.

Greg Reese

splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,257Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Reese, May 7, 2012

This picture is made in Europe night 6 > 7 may, the moon does not seem sharp, that's because the sun is opposite the moon, therefore you can't see craters and mountains on the moon, you see them a bit on the right top edge.

No pp only made a 100 % crop

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 20,266Gear list
Like?
I could only get the moon at 1500mm
In reply to AlexK-12, May 7, 2012

I wanted to get some moon-against-landscape shots, but was busy Saturday night with friends and didn't get the chance for a moon shot until 11:30pm...by then, it was straight overhead.

But I still wanted to get a few full moon closeups with my A580, which I hadn't done yet - so I whipped out the Tamron 200-500mm lens at 500mm with a Tamron 2x Teleconverter for 1000mm, times crop factor for a 1500mm equivalent:

I tried a dose of contrast and microcontrast in Topaz just to see if it would bring out the shadows a bit more:

And also a more conservative straight shot, without processing:

Here's a bigger 1600 pixel version of the first one:

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +22 more
elvineet
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

Shot these with my A33 (A33? They're still around?? )

Stflbn
Contributing MemberPosts: 993Gear list
Like?
In reply to elvineet, May 7, 2012

This was the best I could get shooting A77 and 100-300 APO Raw, then PP.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A58 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +14 more
Leah
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Sharing my backyard view and a composite...

From my backyard in Indiana. The last two are composites...

-- hide signature --
 Leah's gear list:Leah's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
shuttervelocity
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Re: Sharing my backyard view and a composite...
In reply to Leah, May 8, 2012

I put these on another thread:

SLT-A55 + Tamron 18-270 on a cheapo Tripod. Shot over San Jose skies. It was a clear sky.

-- hide signature --

Sam

Leah
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
In reply to AlexK-12, May 10, 2012

I really like the one with the grasses in front. Very nice.

-- hide signature --

Leah

Leah's gear list:Leah's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
shuttervelocity
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
In reply to Leah, May 10, 2012

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Sam

KennethDante
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: I could only get the moon at 1500mm
In reply to zackiedawg, May 10, 2012

woa.. real nice!