Aperture Users with Nikons, Do You Use Nixon Software Also?

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
kay4401
Regular MemberPosts: 266Gear list
Like?
Aperture Users with Nikons, Do You Use Nixon Software Also?
May 6, 2012

For those Mac owners shooting with Nikon cameras... if you use Aperture on your Mac, do you also use any of Nikon's software for anything, i.e., View NX2 or Capture?

kay4401's gear list:kay4401's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,460
Like?
Re: Aperture Users with Nikons, Do You Use Nixon Software Also?
In reply to kay4401, May 6, 2012

I use Lightroom but only pull out NX for stuff like control points and other things I can't get from LR or PS. I often will use NX to convert pano sequence shots to tiff or jpg pre-stitching though just for speed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DiploStrat
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?

No, that's why I use Aperture.

Scholars differ, but I am firmly of the opinion that there is no magic in Nikon's software (some written by NIK) that cannot be matched or exceeded by Aperture or Lightroom.
--
DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10 Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,146
Like?

I use NX2 and Aperture. Aperture is primarily for sorting and cataloging images while NX2 is for editing. I also do some editing in Aperture where I also have Topaz plugins installed.

I prefer NX2 because it is the only editing program that retains all the in-camera settings. Other editing programs retain only the white balance setting. If you like what happened with your camera settings then editing is a snap. But if you want to change a camera setting or delete it altogether it's right there in NX2 to fiddle around with...

Those NIK Control Points are awesome if you are like me and don't want to spend a lot of time messing around with layers and masks in Photoshop (which I also own but is very rarely used). You can easily make edits to an entire image or edit parts of an image. If you have an image that requires multiple edits to specific areas NX2 makes it very easy to do.

Some folks complain that NX2 isn't very "intuitive" but I think that they are simply accustomed to Photoshop, which is as counter-intuitive as it gets IMO. Using Control Points is as easy as point-drag-click. And NX2 is available for around $130 at Amazon and other retailers.

If you haven't tried it yet download the NX2 demo and give it a try. I also recommend getting "Capture NX2: After The Shoot." You will be up and running with NX2 in no time.

An alternative to NX2 is NIK Viveza which has the same Control Points and costs around $100. But be sure to compare the programs because if I remember correctly NX2 is more powerful than Viveza and Viveza doesn't retain your camera settings.

Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?

kay4401 wrote:

For those Mac owners shooting with Nikon cameras... if you use Aperture on your Mac, do you also use any of Nikon's software for anything, i.e., View NX2 or Capture?

I use Aperture. For this post I had to check if I still have View NX installed (I do). I used it to load Camera Controls into the camera back in the day.

I have settled on Aperture as I use cameras from Nikon (D700, D7000) and Panasonic (GF1, GX1) on a regular basis. I also have a Canon S95 as a bring everywhere camera. Aperture means I can have the same workflow for all the cameras. Aperture also makes it so simple to shoot in raw only.

I did have Capture NX but did not upgrade to NX2 when it came out. I do like the control point technology so I have the complete collection of Nik plug-ins.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
BRJR
Forum ProPosts: 13,641Gear list
Like?
Re: "Aperture Users with Nikons, Do You Use Nixon Software Also?" (No, Not At All)

However, should my pre-ordered Nikon D800E arrive before I cancel it, due to what I co nsider poor overall performance from Nikon on getting this camera to market timely and in sufficient quantities and without the reported / rumored technical deficiencies, I could give Nikon View NX2 and Capture another look. But, so far, with the cameras I use (they're listed in my profile) including the ones in my iPhone and iPad third generation -- Apple Aperture, more than sufficiently meets my needs. And, heck, should Leica make mention of a Leica M10 being released on May10, this week, I could very well cancel my pre-ordered 800E, altogether -- and, just use my Leicas (M9, M8.2, MP, and purchase the M10, to complement these fine Leica camera bodies). In this event, I will continue to have absolutely No need for Any Nikon software, and would even consider finally getting rid of all of my Nikon and DSLR gear (bodies, lenses and every thing)

-- hide signature --

"Working for God on earth does not pay much, but His Retirement plan is outĀ of this world."

BRJR ....(LOL, some of us are quite satisfied as Hobbyists ..)

kay4401 wrote:

BRJR's gear list:BRJR's gear list
Nikon D700 Leica M9 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +21 more
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,781
Like?

No just use aperture. Very easy and straightforward.

Did try using ViewNX2 to tiff then aperture but too much of a fad and couldn't improve my images.
--
Cheers, BB
FlickR site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/
Flickr D800 gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/sets/72157629726734905/
FlickR Nikon1 V1 gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/sets/72157628774050455/

Bob Rockefeller
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?

I stick with just Aperture.

Rober Boyer has some presets that work well to closely match Nikon's picture styles:

http://photo.rwboyer.com/2011/11/09/nikon-d7000-presets-for-aperture-3/

-- hide signature --

Bob
------------
Bob Rockefeller
Richmond Hill, Georgia
http://www.bobrockefeller.com

Bob Rockefeller's gear list:Bob Rockefeller's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +4 more
Tony Rundle
Regular MemberPosts: 407
Like?
In reply to Bob Rockefeller, May 7, 2012

The only piece of Nikon software I use nowadays is Capture, to get files into a watched folder.

You can get excellent results from the Nikon software, but it's awkward to use and life is too short!

-- hide signature --
talmy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,007Gear list
Like?
In reply to kay4401, May 7, 2012

Nikon software -- not any more. Nikon software really went downhill when they stopped their own development and went with NIK for Capture. Aperture has improved to the point where I get better images reprocessing my old D70 images than the old Nikon Capture did back in its day.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in my User Profile.

talmy's gear list:talmy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
InspectorHud
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to kay4401, May 7, 2012

I only use Nikon Camera Control Pro 2, but I will ditch it as soon as someone comes out with something that will not take months to adapt to OS updates. Other than that, I think that Aperture w/ some plugins and occasional trips to Photoshop is all I need and more.

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?
In reply to InspectorHud, May 7, 2012

InspectorHud wrote:

I only use Nikon Camera Control Pro 2, but I will ditch it as soon as someone comes out with something that will not take months to adapt to OS updates. Other than that, I think that Aperture w/ some plugins and occasional trips to Photoshop is all I need and more.

Seen this one? http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31296/sofortbild

-- hide signature --

Mikael

InspectorHud
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, May 7, 2012

Yes and I use it when CCPro 2 is dysfunctional during OS upgrades. It lacks a couple of critical features that I need otherwise I would use it full time.

Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508Gear list
Like?
+1 with MrMojo on Nikon NX2
In reply to MrMojo, May 7, 2012

... I catalog, sort and otherwise keep order with Aperture under Lion OSX 10.7.3. I own a Nikon D300 and a D700 - all serious editing done in NX2. Control point adjustments are terrific. As an amateur, I like to fiddle with images leisurely so I'm not concerned about speed and batch processing issues. I also use PS CS3 from time to time (no need to upgrade) for some HDR, pano-merge stuff and preparing for a print order done by a lab in New Jersey. You can export right from Aperture and send a PSD version of a Nikon raw file to CS3. Never tried Lightroom so I cannot compare and make no inference that one is better than another. You all can fight about that to your heart's content. Me? I'm very content with my workflow. Jason Odell's guide to NX2 has been very valuable to me.
--
http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/

Jim F's gear list:Jim F's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads