ThePaleRider
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: Amazon UK say D800 discontinued
In reply to Manny82, May 6, 2012

Manny82 wrote:

ThePaleRider wrote:

Manny82 wrote:

GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON. YET ANOTHER DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE THREAD!

Either your keyboard is broken, Manny, or you are not certain how to use your computer correctly. My four year old son writes in all caps, but he uses crayons. Maybe they would be a better choice for you as well.

Perhaps your 4-years-old son can show you how to use the search function too instead of creating duplicate threads. It wouldn't be so bad if the topic hadn't been covered in a while - but FFS take a look at the first page and look at how many thread have AMAZON in the title!

Can you not see the problem you are creating?

He can also read. Perhaps you would care to show me where I started one of these threads.

May I politely suggest that you relax, go outside and enjoy the sunshine. You'll find yourself a much more tolerant and pleasant person afterwards, I'm sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Manny82
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
In reply to ThePaleRider, May 6, 2012

May I politely suggest that you relax, go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Oh the irony of your own advice!

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re: anger management

ThePaleRider wrote:

Manny82 wrote:

ThePaleRider wrote:

Manny82 wrote:

GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON. YET ANOTHER DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE THREAD!

Either your keyboard is broken, Manny, or you are not certain how to use your computer correctly. My four year old son writes in all caps, but he uses crayons. Maybe they would be a better choice for you as well.

Perhaps your 4-years-old son can show you how to use the search function too instead of creating duplicate threads. It wouldn't be so bad if the topic hadn't been covered in a while - but FFS take a look at the first page and look at how many thread have AMAZON in the title!

Can you not see the problem you are creating?

He can also read. Perhaps you would care to show me where I started one of these threads.

May I politely suggest that you relax, go outside and enjoy the sunshine. You'll find yourself a much more tolerant and pleasant person afterwards, I'm sure.

This guy badly needs anger management. He complains about the treads, but has posted twice in each one of them in capital letters and also in RED. Please, don't blow a vein over that, go for a walk or walk the dog, turn your computer off and get out.

http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519080@N00/sets/72157594443652688/

nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,105
Like?
Focus, focus, focus
In reply to xrdbear, May 6, 2012

First of all, this doesn't affect me, I don't currently live in the UK, nor am I an expert in legal matters. However I do strongly believe this is a situation all customers of Amazon must be alerted to

Next , it appears there are at least two groups of people posting here. Those who feel they would like something done about Amazon's boot to your behind, and those too timid or weak to take action. I'm including the people who claim there is no recourse, or it's just a camera, or they'd rather roll up into a ball and commiserate in the second group. These are distracting efforts from the first group, and as a tactic, the first group needs to consolidate and either get the second group on board or ignore them entirely. They are dragging you down.

Finally , to date , there have been just three constructive efforts to address this matter:

1. contact the UK's CEO: cnorth@amazon.com
2. trend on twitter: #D800Amazon
3. write the office of fair trading

Analysis This is a good start, however given there may just be several hundred people affected, it's clearly not yet anywhere near the critical mass needed to amend this matter. May I suggest you FOCUS your efforts in one thread, prefixed and serialized should it go beyond 150 posts. Initiate a central command.

Goal May I suggest your goal is to make consumers aware, across the web, that Amazon is guilty of:

A. Falsely leading consumers to believe they may pre-order a product Amazon can't deliver.
B. Stringing pre-orders along at a price they can't or won't deliver.

C. Kissing pre-orders off, with a "tough luck" and "too bad", and without sufficient consideration to the consequences.

IMO ...
This goes beyond a few hundred cancellations that everyone hopes will blow over.
This goes beyond bad practices, as it provokes real and consequential damages.
This practice requires accountability, and must be the subject of regulation.

Amazon has a track record of bad practices, dating back to getting caught charging different prices for the same item depending on one's personal data. Dating back to stealing back books and removing personal information from one's Kindles. And now, offering to pre-order at a lower price, string their customers along, and cancel at whim when Amazon's pre-orders cannot or will not be honored.

Strategy If it's just a matter of Amazon canceling a few hundred D800 orders, this is not my fight. Yet, if it can be demonstrated that it's a matter of Amazon using their presence in the marketplace to further manipulate demand and supply to the benefit of Amazon and the dis-benefit of consumers, I would gladly join this cause, as would any who are fed up with the deceptive practices of online merchants.

Tactics Get your numbers up ladies, get this topic trending, get the press involved, get the word out ... or join the other guys who say it can't be done, roll up into a ball, and commiserate until the life of your protest is snuffed out.

Best of luck.

-- hide signature --

design guy

phototrope
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Here's the story

Amazon made a stupid mistake by offering the D800 at £2099. Someone executive clearly thought they could cash in on the huge demand by undercutting the competition. Well, they had no way of predicting the huge lack of supply will delayed the rollout of the units and the subsequent price hike by nikon which meant that if they did fulfill these orders they would be taking a huge loss. Surely hundreds of people ordered these cameras at £2099. They probably would take a loss of a few hundred for each unit if the dispatched at that price. Do the maths.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the same executive is probably trying to save his job by making ANOTHER brilliant decision to send these out emails saying the items are no longer available. This is the age-old story of a someone trying to cover up a stupid act with a lie. Amazon.co.uk are just being disingenuous.

I admit that this is disgraceful behaviour from amazon. They should be more honest to their customers or expect some kind of backlash.

I speak as one who was received the first batch of D800s from amazon.co.uk at £2399. If they had just stuck to that price like all the other suppliers they wouldn't have been in this mess.

ThePaleRider
Like?

Manny82 wrote:

May I politely suggest that you relax, go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Oh the irony of your own advice!

'phone works in the park.

Shaun432x
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's the story
In reply to phototrope, May 6, 2012

Amazon have cost me time and money!!!!

I ordered the D800 from them on 16th March 2012 at their listed price of £2099.00.

I was going to order that day from my local store, Jessops or Jacobs or online from WEX. The price would have been £2399.00.

We all know that Nikon then hiked up the price of the D800 in the UK.

I would have had my order honoured by Nikon as they stayed they would honour orders placed before the pricing "mistake"

Now amazon dump me and I am left with no camera, no pre-order, the prospect of an even longer wait and having to pay £2599.00.......

I feel that amazon have misled me...

I feel like I can never trust anyone again, I feel like I have been violated, I hate them, I despise them and I don't like them very much as well.

Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix 8800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Nikon D60 +21 more
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,386Gear list
Like?
In reply to lanef, May 6, 2012

Agreed +++ - bet he wouldn't be happy if it happened to him...

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
Ayrshirephotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?

Totally mental, I got the email today, it's no longer available. Nikon you are a joke, this is pathetic. Ah well screw it, might be a good thing. D700 for me.

-- hide signature --

"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re:Could it be?
In reply to Ayrshirephotographer, May 6, 2012

Ayrshirephotographer wrote:

Totally mental, I got the email today, it's no longer available. Nikon you are a joke, this is pathetic. Ah well screw it, might be a good thing. D700 for me.

Could it be they have decided not to stock the camera anymore because of some issues experienced which could lead to too many returns and the processing would be a nightmare?

Ayrshirephotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?

lanef wrote:

Could it be they have decided not to stock the camera anymore because of some issues experienced which could lead to too many returns and the processing would be a nightmare?

I didn't say it was Amazon's fault. It's Nikon with their 19th century supply methods.
--
"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?

That would be fine with me if they had been honest enough to say this but they haven't.
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

Manny82
Like?
In reply to thomas2279f, May 6, 2012

thomas2279f wrote:

Agreed +++ - bet he wouldn't be happy if it happened to him...

Guys FYI, i'm currently moving from Canon to Nikon. I'm in a similar position finding it very difficult to get hold of a brand new D700 (can't afford a D800) - none of the top retailers have them in stock and this is very surprising for a camera that isn't even new any more.

Jessops, WEX, 1st Camera, Calumet, ABC, Park Cameras, and dare i say it...Amazon - you name it - none in stock.

So anyway, yes i am also playing the waiting game too. In the mean time, i'm visiting this forum on a regular basis, trying to get up-to-date with the Nikon system, tips, tricks, techniques etc etc - hence why i guess i keep venting frustration at all the duplicate posts. I'm not trying to be irritating, just someone coming on here for technical advice etc but it's made very difficult when a lot of the posts are duplicates of each other.

I know you guys are vexed, but just be a little more considerate for other forum members too please. I guess admin could also help you out too if they provided a facility for 'main topics' to be stickied to the top of the main page so it stands out and everyone could just post in the one thread then.

Manny

ThePaleRider
Like?

I suspect that if pushed, the final position will be that the "£2099 Nikon d800" and the "£2399 Nikon d800" items (as opposed to the "£2599 Nikon d800" product line) are indeed not available to Amazon on terms that Amazon are prepared to accept, and as such, really are not available from the supplier (Nikon).

Amazon obviously expected their volume purchasing to earn them an extra price break, maybe the 1000 units mark, and the 2099 offers were used to ensure the volume while not overly depleting their profit overall, but I guess Nikon refused to play ball.

It is sad that in this day and age, customer service is defined and driven by what is technically legal, rather than what is decent, but I guess we can thank our transatlantic cousins for that trend.

Shame on Amazon.

nikonboi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280Gear list
Like?

Hi Manny,

Hang in there and hopefully you get your D700 soon. I loved my D700 while I had it (I now have the D800E) and sometimes wish I had just kept it. The D700 really was (and is) a stunning camera.

Cheers,
-------
Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

nikonboi's gear list:nikonboi's gear list
Nikon D800E
MrWinnieThePooh
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

ThePaleRider wrote:

I am not sure that 5 or 6 disgruntled customers on a little web forum are going to do much to sway Amazon's opinion. High end cameras are at best a side line for them.

Hardly their bread and butter.

I can assure you that the number is greater than 5 or 6. I believe the number of affected Amazon UK customers must be much, much larger. Otherwise Nikon UK would have not taken the (very signficant) decision to stop supplying the D800 to Amazon UK (one of their 'recommended online retailers').

ThePaleRider
Like?
In reply to MrWinnieThePooh, May 6, 2012

MrWinnieThePooh wrote:

ThePaleRider wrote:

I am not sure that 5 or 6 disgruntled customers on a little web forum are going to do much to sway Amazon's opinion. High end cameras are at best a side line for them.

Hardly their bread and butter.

I can assure you that the number is greater than 5 or 6. I believe the number of affected Amazon UK customers must be much, much larger. Otherwise Nikon UK would have not taken the (very signficant) decision to stop supplying the D800 to Amazon UK (one of their 'recommended online retailers').

That's super whinnie, but I don't see a whole lot more than that making complaints on this forum for Amazon to read (as if!), so regardless of how many people in total have been rolled over by Amazon, in it's original context, my comment remains true.

Also, I think that it is at best sheer speculation to say that Nikon have decided to stop supplying the d800 to Amazon UK. Unless you have some information directly from Nikon, that is.

My own opinion is that Amazon can't get the price break that they are used to on volume orders from Nikon and are refusing to take the hit. I am surprised that they are not just using the "pricing error" get out that they have for pre-orders. Just opinion though, and I doubt that we shall ever really know.

phototrope
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?

Very unlikely as all the other retailers are happily selling the D800s without any major returns issues - in fact, WEX, Jessops et al can't get hold of enough D800s to sell.

Much more likely that amazon have decided not to honour their £2099 price discount. Shame on them.

lanef wrote:

Manny82
Like?
In reply to nikonboi, May 6, 2012

nikonboi wrote:

Hi Manny,

Hang in there and hopefully you get your D700 soon. I loved my D700 while I had it (I now have the D800E) and sometimes wish I had just kept it. The D700 really was (and is) a stunning camera.

Cheers,

Thanks Nikhil. Yes i have a considerable amount of money invested in my Canon gear but feel the want to move to full frame now. Unfortunately the 5D2 doesn't do anything for me. I spent a while reading about the D700 but to be honest, it didn't take long to realise it is a brilliant piece of kit. That's another reason really with it being such a brilliant camera, unless you're desperate for 36mp, i don't know why so many people need a D800 all of a sudden. Yes i know there is a lot more to it than just extra mp, but many people ordering a D800 still have a D700 yet they're acting like the world has ended. I just don't get that particular aspect.

MrWinnieThePooh
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

ThePaleRider wrote:

Also, I think that it is at best sheer speculation to say that Nikon have decided to stop supplying the d800 to Amazon UK. Unless you have some information directly from Nikon, that is.

Well, to tell the truth, I am also not sure that Nikon have decided to stop supplying the D800 to Amazon UK. However, Amazon UK have stated that "Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available." and "they informed us that they won't be able to source this item.".

In both cases Amazon UK are clearly stating that it is the decision of the supplier (Nikon UK) not to deliver the item to them. Either Amazon UK are lying (which is a possibility) or else Nikon UK have indeed made a decision to stop supplying them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads