Amazon UK say D800 discontinued

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,624
Like?
Amazon UK say D800 discontinued
May 6, 2012

I'm sorry to all for starting a new thread on this but I think it legitimate to see if it gets taken down and if it does at least there is a chance that Amazon (owners of this site) will see it. If those who are currently enjoying their D800s are annoyed by this please understand it means a lot to those of us who still want the camera and may be joining the back of other queues today.

Unless the product has actually been discontinued or at least temporarily withdrawn then Amazon UK have lied to us in saying 'Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available' in e-mails sent to their D800 customers today. Whatever their business reasons this is very bad behaviour.

Please feel free to add to this rant or post pictures of OOF skyscrapers, kittens in jugs, babies or whatever.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
Re: Amazon UK say D800 discontinued
In reply to xrdbear, May 6, 2012

Agree disgraceful behaviour...

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ThePaleRider
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

I am not sure that 5 or 6 disgruntled customers on a little web forum are going to do much to sway Amazon's opinion. High end cameras are at best a side line for them.

Hardly their bread and butter.

3LX
3LX
Contributing MemberPosts: 533
Like?

If the D800 has be discontinued then I guess everyone else on a pre-order list will be getting emails within the next day or two. But this seems highly unlikely unless production has been stopped due to the various issues being reported (e.g left had AF problems).

On the other hand maybe the subtext to the message is the D800 is no longer available to Amazon UK. Have Nikon decided not to supply Amazon for the foreseeable future due to the aggressive price discounting they were involved in? I seem to remember some time ago Nikon put out an announcement saying that Nikon products can only be sold at MRRP set by Nikon. Perhaps this is their way of dishing out some punishment. I wonder if Play.com will be sending out similar emails soon?

russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThePaleRider, May 6, 2012

I'm willing to bet they took hundreds of orders. Hundreds of orders from people who have the means to pay for high end goods like the D800 is the wrong end of the market to upset too. Whatever way you look at it, the decision is a disgrace and I will do my best to make sure everyone I talk to avoids them like the plague for any sort of pre-order in future and that they know what their pre-order and delivery promises are REALLY worth.

ThePaleRider wrote:

5 or 6 disgruntled customers

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002Gear list
Like?

Amazon UK's letter of cancellation today to their customers who have pre-ordered the D800 is audaciously disingenuous.

The D800 is not "...no longer available". Someone needs to perform an inquiry. Would be interesting to find out why Nikon UK have decided to not supply Amazon UK....at least in the near term.

russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?
Re: I've let Nikon Rumours know....
In reply to reginalddwight, May 6, 2012

I'm going to try and generate as much negative publicity as I can out of this for Amazon. NR is read by tens of thousands......

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002Gear list
Like?
In reply to russbarnes, May 6, 2012

Brilliant. Amazon UK need to be held responsible for this shameful business practice.

oper8nrun
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?

There is something fishy at NR. Have you not noticed they had reported NOTHING about left focus malfunction? Why?

exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?

I am also going to try and raise as much publicity. I will be writing to the editors of photo magazinesp later
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

xrdbear
Like?

ThePaleRider wrote:

I am not sure that 5 or 6 disgruntled customers on a little web forum are going to do much to sway Amazon's opinion.

Maybe not but 'every little helps' as Tesco is wont to say.

That said I suspect they must have had hundreds of orders at that price for them to feel it was financially worth the effort of cancelling the orders with all the aggravation that has created. If they all speak up... maybe we could get a climb down.
--
Brian

xrdbear
Like?
In reply to exposure, May 6, 2012

exposure wrote:

I am also going to try and raise as much publicity. I will be writing to the editors of photo magazinesp later

I have written to AP.
--
Brian

exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?

Brian, thanks they were the first I was going to write to.
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

ThePaleRider
Like?

russbarnes wrote:

I'm willing to bet they took hundreds of orders. Hundreds of orders from people who have the means to pay for high end goods like the D800 is the wrong end of the market to upset too. Whatever way you look at it, the decision is a disgrace and I will do my best to make sure everyone I talk to avoids them like the plague for any sort of pre-order in future and that they know what their pre-order and delivery promises are REALLY worth.

ThePaleRider wrote:

5 or 6 disgruntled customers

Let's just see how many different names turn up in this thread by the end of today. I doubt it'll be many more than ten or so, which isn't going to cause much lost sleep for Amazon.

I do agree that this behaviour, including the content of the email, shows utter contempt for their customers, but even if as many as twenty would-be purchasers share your level of hurt, it's not even going to register on Amazon's radar. Wish it weren't so, but you have to be realistic. It's a niche product and I bet that half of the pre-orders which they have cancelled were second or third orders placed after the price reduction, just because it was too good to pass up, so I imagine that most people will just shrug and move on quietly.

GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?
Why not believe them?

If their claim is "Their supplier will not supply them..." then write and complain to the Nikon distributor who is responsible for supplying them. If the distributor wants more money for them, he can cut them off. He isn't about to lose money for supplying them if everyone else worldwide is more. Writing and complaining to Amazon UK probably won't do a thing, other than them maybe refusing to carry the item in the future - and if Nikon has enough issue in their supply line as it appears they do, they probably don't care as they cannot reach supply levels worldwide as it is.

Fwiw, my local NPO Nikon dealer just got his account cancelled in the USA so orders there pending are tossed out too. They even had factory training in sales by the distributor a few weeks ago on the line. Don't know what is up with that, but even Nikon USA has issues with their brick and mortar dealers - like last summer when they cancelled most all accounts and people had to reapply. It's a mess.

Don't know if the Nikon UK supplier is independent of Nikon Japan. Might be worth looking into.

Mack

Manny82
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?

GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON. YET ANOTHER DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE THREAD!

ThePaleRider
Like?
In reply to Manny82, May 6, 2012

Manny82 wrote:

GET A LIFE AND MOVE ON. YET ANOTHER DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE OF A DUPLICATE THREAD!

Either your keyboard is broken, Manny, or you are not certain how to use your computer correctly. My four year old son writes in all caps, but he uses crayons. Maybe they would be a better choice for you as well.

Manny82
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?

ThePaleRider wrote:

Manny82 wrote:

Either your keyboard is broken, Manny, or you are not certain how to use your computer correctly. My four year old son writes in all caps, but he uses crayons. Maybe they would be a better choice for you as well.

Perhaps your 4-years-old son can show you how to use the search function too instead of creating duplicate threads. It wouldn't be so bad if the topic hadn't been covered in a while - but FFS take a look at the first page and look at how many thread have AMAZON in the title!

Can you not see the problem you are creating?

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?

Manny82 wrote:

Very smart and you are feeding it, what does that say about you?
--
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519080@N00/sets/72157594443652688/

photoad
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?

Manny82 wrote:

Weird, there are over 130,000 threads, but today I keep seeing these angry capitals.

Threads come and go, but when Nikon camera buyers are being p!ssed on by Nikon and Amazon I think anything less than 50 separate threads would be inadequate.

Especially when this is the Nikon D800 forum.

It's a matter of trust, and it seems that both Amazon and Nikon have broken that trust. In fairness to Amazon UK the D800 is no longer listed there, but I suspect collusion between Amazon and Nikon, Nikon not wishing to supply cameras 'at a loss' (£2099.00) to Amazon and Amazon wanting to retain Nikon UK as a supplier.

Amazon are not obliged to sell anything to anyone, it's up to them. Nikon stated that they would honour pre-order prices and Amazon took orders at those prices, a contract was made. It may be true that today Amazon cannot source D800's in the UK, and it is true that there are supply shortages, but these are pre-order sales, so the temporary unavailability is immaterial, supplies are available, but not today.

All in all a huge SNAFU

photoad's gear list:photoad's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads