Engadget reviews EM5: " a blurry mess "

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110Gear list
Like?
Engadget reviews EM5: " a blurry mess "
May 6, 2012

" Take it to the ski slopes, for example, and the E-M5 will clam up, only occasionally capturing a sharp frame. We experienced the same during a rainy day beach shoot with that 12-50mm kit optic zoomed all the way in. When the camera works, it's peerless, but you won't have to wait long before stumbling on a scene it can't master. The same is true of video capture: you'll want to steer clear of continuous autofocus while shooting in snow, rain or any dark or flat scene, lest you end up with a blurry mess "

Wasn't this camera supposed to be an AF miracle?

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,636Gear list
Like?
Re: Engadget reviews EM5: " a blurry mess "
In reply to Davidgilmour, May 6, 2012

Davidgilmour wrote:

" Take it to the ski slopes, for example, and the E-M5 will clam up, only occasionally capturing a sharp frame. We experienced the same during a rainy day beach shoot with that 12-50mm kit optic zoomed all the way in. When the camera works, it's peerless, but you won't have to wait long before stumbling on a scene it can't master. The same is true of video capture: you'll want to steer clear of continuous autofocus while shooting in snow, rain or any dark or flat scene, lest you end up with a blurry mess "

That's the problem when you get review sites who don't know how to set a camera up properly. Olympus cameras never give their best when shot straight out of the box or if the user doesn't understand how CDAF focusing works and when it can be fooled. You can make any camera look and perform badly if you are incompetent.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bab4
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
Re: Engadget reviews EM5: " a blurry mess "

Didn't you just post this on the Fuji forums only to have your troll thread deleted? I already told you there that all contrast based AF cameras will have problems with low contrast subjects.

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,032Gear list
Like?
I read that review and thought it quite positive. (nt)

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +2 more
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,862
Like?
Re: Interesting

Davidgilmour wrote:

This is the first report I see of problematic AF, so who knows? Maybe it's just user error, a faulty unit, or whatever. But it is true that in low contrast areas, CDAF has a tough job.

There is also plenty of reports around of the AF working correctly and swiftly, even down to very low light. It would be interesting to hear user reports on this.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

"Keep a beginner's mind"

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: Interesting
In reply to Bilgy_no1, May 6, 2012

It's very good but you can fool it. I've already moaned about that.

Bilgy_no1 wrote:

Davidgilmour wrote:

This is the first report I see of problematic AF, so who knows? Maybe it's just user error, a faulty unit, or whatever. But it is true that in low contrast areas, CDAF has a tough job.

There is also plenty of reports around of the AF working correctly and swiftly, even down to very low light. It would be interesting to hear user reports on this.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

"Keep a beginner's mind"

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,494
Like?
Here is the review link
kermitG9
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
To be honest: AF accuracy has decreased on 4/3 lenses

Miracle ? Where did you read that ??

CDAF has got problems with low contrast scenes.. and that will always be the case with any CDAF camera/lens (regardless of the brand). That's particularly true if they performed tests on a ski slope which, like any snow covered area. easily fools any CDAF.

What I've noticed clearly is the heightened number of false positive on 4/3 lenses.. A week ago, I posted a thread about my first experience with the 12-60 mm lens saying that the E-M5 was hunting much less vs. my E-P2 and that focus lock delay was basically reduced by a factor 2. Today, I'm less impressed about that speed: The E-P2 would basically never give me a false positive on the 12-60mm which is absolutely not the case with the E-M5. I can only conclude that Olympus "optimised" the speed of the E-M5 used with 4/3 lenses at the expense of accuracy..

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,494
Like?
incompetent reviewer?
In reply to papillon_65, May 6, 2012

papillon_65 wrote:

That's the problem when you get review sites who don't know how to set a camera up properly. Olympus cameras never give their best when shot straight out of the box or if the user doesn't understand how CDAF focusing works and when it can be fooled. You can make any camera look and perform badly if you are incompetent.

I just read the review and the reviewer loved the camera and gushes about it a lot. I gather that he is incompetent though so he's wrong and we can't believe him?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

CrashE3
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
Porsche Struggles

with a 2-Ton payload too...

-- hide signature --

Visualize Whirled Peas.

damoclesnz
Regular MemberPosts: 404
Like?
Wrap up: "Simply put, we love the E-M5"
In reply to kermitG9, May 6, 2012

Overall quite a positive review - barring the focus issues. Which they suggest are 'arguably minor'.

Sadly they aren't so positive on the Pro 1, which is a superb camera (albeit also not perfect).

I went out in search of a new camera today and ended up with the OMD. Love it so far.

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,636Gear list
Like?
Re: incompetent reviewer?
In reply to Henry Richardson, May 6, 2012

Henry Richardson wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

I just read the review and the reviewer loved the camera and gushes about it a lot. I gather that he is incompetent though so we can't believe him?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

I posted on the basis that the OP was telling it as it was and he didn't provide the link. Either way, you can believe what you like, I never take any review as a basis for choosing a camera, whether gushing or negative. What I can say is that any camera's focusing system can be fooled but in my experience it's often user error or a lack of understanding of how they work. I have no doubt the OMD is neither any better nor any worse than any other camera in this respect.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
kermitG9
Contributing MemberPosts: 701
Like?
Re: Wrap up: "Simply put, we love the E-M5"
In reply to damoclesnz, May 6, 2012

damoclesnz wrote:

Overall quite a positive review - barring the focus issues. Which they suggest are 'arguably minor'.

Yes .. focusing issues are "arguably minor". One can deal with lots of things when processing (raw-) files.. just not with out of focus pictures. Fortunately, in my case using 4/3 lenses, the out of focus is so obvious that I can easily spot it in the VF.. and for safety, I take every key shot twice by refocusing the camera.

Tim F 101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
User error

From the review it sounds like he spent most of the test period shooting fast sports with C-AF in conditions that would challenge any camera (busy background with lots of contrasty objects, subject moving at odd angles relative to the camera etc). That's like spending most of a Nikon D4 test evaluating whether you can sneak it into the public theater. Sub optimal, as if a passing familiarity with the subject could not have told you that already.

Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
Re: User error
In reply to Tim F 101, May 6, 2012

Tim F 101 wrote:

From the review it sounds like he spent most of the test period shooting fast sports with C-AF in conditions that would challenge any camera (busy background with lots of contrasty objects, subject moving at odd angles relative to the camera etc). That's like spending most of a Nikon D4 test evaluating whether you can sneak it into the public theater. Sub optimal, as if a passing familiarity with the subject could not have told you that already.

Exactly.

He was stating the C-AF was bad in the snow and on the beach (as we all know already). But what he did say the S-AF was almost instant all of the time (being outdoors on a beach or in the snow).

JJJPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,557Gear list
Like?
Alternative title:

"Photographically inept tech geek fails to produce decent images and blaims the camera."

I have little interest in the E-M5 and don't plan to buy one, but if I was doing research on this camera I certainly wouldn't trust a review from Engadget.

I "might" trust Engadget to review a smartphone, tablet, or laptop, but even then I wouldn't put much weight behind those reviews. I would, however, trust the team at Engadget to deliver a quality review of a remote-controlled vibrator.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus PEN E-P3
Condor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
Re: User error
In reply to Tim F 101, May 6, 2012

Tim F 101 wrote:

Since you mention C-AF , and trying to provide objective information only for those who could be worth it .

And since we are at DPR forums, lets see what DPR said in its recent and so expected " In depht E-M5 review ":

C-AF:
"... slow and unpredictable ..."
"... the results simply aren't reliable enough..."
"... for such an expensive model ..."
"... it's a dissapointing result ."

Tracking:
" Tracking is a particular dissapointment ..."
"... it gets very easily distracted..."
"...No matter how distinct the subject might appear..."
"... combined with the contnuos AF's hunting ..."
"... you simply can't rely the system to get your shots in focus ."

Click on "(Original)":

Ed

toscha_seidel
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
Re: Which camera then can CAF well with CDAF?
In reply to Condor, May 6, 2012

I am curious to know then which CDAF camera can do superb CAF and trackng?

texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,526Gear list
Like?
Wow - that's a Rave Review if I've ever read one

I'll have to pay more attention to focusing, but I haven't had any real trouble yet.

Quote from the conclusion:

Simply put, we love the E-M5. It's a solid shooter -- literally, thanks to its "splash-proof body" -- with excellent image quality throughout the ISO range and a slick, versatile lens. That 5-axis stabilization is innovative as well, as is the incredibly fast focusing system. While powerful, that focusing system isn't perfect, often slipping with low-contrast sand and snow scenes. Still, that issue is arguably minor, considering that this camera isn't designed for sports-shooting pros, and, like the battery meter, it may be corrected with a firmware update.

Link:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/01/olympus-om-d-em-5-micro-four-thirds-camera-review/

Love how the original poster picked the single 'negative' point in the review and didn't bother to provide a link

Fanboy much?

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Davidgilmour
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow - that's a Rave Review if I've ever read one
In reply to texinwien, May 6, 2012

Love how the original poster picked the single 'negative' point

Fanboy much?

Objection! The battery indicator ain't 100% reliable either

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads