Nikon D800 amazon replies

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
marknichols
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Nikon D800 amazon replies
May 6, 2012

Hello,

I understand your disappointment regarding your order #203-8231922-3453907 for " Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)". Please take note that we have been informed by Nikon that due to unprecedented demand across Europe, the Nikon D800 is in restricted supply from the manufacturer.

I've checked your account and found that you may have already received an e-mail from us regarding this item. When we contacted the supplier for an update they informed us that they won't be able to source this item.

We had planned on receiving this item from our supplier. I apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused.

As we can't supply this item, it has been cancelled from your order and you have not been charged for it. Cancelled orders no longer appear in your order history.

If you would still like this item it might be available from a third party seller on Amazon.co.uk Marketplace. An item being offered for sale by third-party sellers will be indicated by a blue box marked "More Buying Choices" on the product's information page.

In addition to a wide selection of items, one of our aims at Amazon.co.uk is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we have not met that standard. Please accept our sincere apologies.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 amazon replies
In reply to marknichols, May 6, 2012

I've demanded compensation.

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ThePaleRider
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
In reply to russbarnes, May 6, 2012

russbarnes wrote:

Good luck with that one! Where in their t&c does it say that they are happy to take responsibility for your behaviour in betting the farm on an item which was never guaranteed to be delivered? Taking a pre-order does not constitute a contract to supply, by the way.

FYI, I have also had my order cancelled by Amazon, and while disappointed, I am not surprised. They have done this before and they will do it again so only a fool would bank on them.

Lesson learned. Just move on.

ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,811
Like?
In reply to ThePaleRider, May 6, 2012

It's bad customer relations but unfortunately a retailer has a legal right to withdraw an item at any time.

I guess Amazon didn't know the unprecedented demand and the fact the price would go up.

I was told by a Nikon Pro dealer that Amazon would not be supplied until all pre orders via Nikon pro dealers and independents had been fulfilled.

I guess Nikon price will have gone up to Amazon when they increased the price by £200

Or Amazon may just be losing stock and then in a few weeks put it on at £2499 or so.

Either way it's not a ood way to do business

Ian

exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?

I haven't had a reply yet, I have written to the exec customer relations team and copied in Chris North. I will never order a high priced item again from them. I have managed to find a seller selling for £2377 with some discount I get as staff working for their parent company. So £300 out of pocket.
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?
In reply to ianbrown, May 6, 2012

Amazon must have known about the demand they didn't reduce the price until 16 th March
--

ThePaleRider
Like?
In reply to exposure, May 6, 2012

exposure wrote:

Amazon must have known about the demand they didn't reduce the price until 16 th March
--

It was a purely cynical move on Amazon's part to boost their apparent pre-order volume in an attempt to secure preferential supply from Nikon. They hadn't factored in Nikon's incompetence in failing to meet demand, and have been left exposed as Nikon have chosen to give apparently equal priority across all suppliers, regardless of pre-order count.

I don't believe that they ever intended to honour the 2099 priced ones, and as a pre-order is no more binding than a vague comment made down the pub, they were well within their rights to take this approach.

Very poor treatment of many (often loyal) customers, and they will lose goodwill from a few hundred people, but that's how they do business.

Shaun432x
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?

Well said Pale Rider!

Spot on methinks.

Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix 8800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Nikon D60 +17 more
ThePaleRider
Like?

By the way, I also have a 2099 pre-order with Play.com. If that one ever gets delivered, I'll show my behind in trafalgar square!

MrWinnieThePooh
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

I am the same position (ordered early on 20th March from Amazon and have now received the cancellation e-mail). I would like to know Nikon UK's position on this - is it a way of getting out of their 'we will honour pre-order prices' pledge, or should it be seen (as suggested elsewhere) as a consequence of irresponsible discounting by Amazon UK.

What is really annoying is that after a 6 week wait, I am now back to square one with getting a D800 (and potentially £500 poorer if I do).

PMMP
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to MrWinnieThePooh, May 6, 2012

Mine was cancelled at the regular pre-order price of £2399.

Schrumpfgermane
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to marknichols, May 6, 2012

I wonder whether Amazon.uk has also cancelled the preorders at regular price.

That would mean that Nikon really has stopped supplying them completely.

Michael

dnorth12
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129
Like?
In reply to Schrumpfgermane, May 6, 2012

Schrumpfgermane wrote:

I wonder whether Amazon.uk has also cancelled the preorders at regular price.

That would mean that Nikon really has stopped supplying them completely.

Michael

I would think that is on the up and up only if Amazon cancels orders worldwide. Otherwise it doesn't pass the smell test.

russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?
Re: They've offered me compensation after my complaint

£5 off my next order. It's like they're now deliberately trying to goad me or something It's going to be a VERY long time before I use it...

ThePaleRider wrote:

russbarnes wrote:

Good luck with that one! Where in their t&c does it say that they are happy to take responsibility for your behaviour in betting the farm on an item which was never guaranteed to be delivered? Taking a pre-order does not constitute a contract to supply, by the way.

FYI, I have also had my order cancelled by Amazon, and while disappointed, I am not surprised. They have done this before and they will do it again so only a fool would bank on them.

Lesson learned. Just move on.

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,624
Like?

ThePaleRider wrote:

russbarnes wrote:

There's nothing in the T&Cs that says you can't demand compensation either. Worth a try anyday.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

xrdbear
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,624
Like?
In reply to ianbrown, May 6, 2012

ianbrown wrote:

It's bad customer relations but unfortunately a retailer has a legal right to withdraw an item at any time.

Of course they have. What's that got to do with it?

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to xrdbear, May 6, 2012

Very nasty and disappointing episode - harming both Amazon and Nikon reputation in the process off the great or not so great D800 launch.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads