S5 CF card write error

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions
dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,945
Like?
S5 CF card write error
May 6, 2012

I've confirmed that my S5 has a problem.

I would format in camera a Kingston 133x 16GB card. Take some pictures. During the taking of the pictures, things are fine. I can check the pictures I've taken.

When I turn the camera off and turn it on again. When I press the play button I would get a "Read error".

I was able to replicate it with another CF card.

Any suggestion short to sending it to a repair shop?

Thanks

Casio Exilim EX-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,871
Like?
Re: S5 CF card write error
In reply to dennis tennis, May 6, 2012

What happens when you put the card into a card reader and try to open the images on a computer?

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,945
Like?
In reply to FlossTycoon, May 6, 2012

The files are corrupted. The date of creation doesn't show and I can't open them.

mmmmmmmm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,631
Like?

This seems like an unusual problem. I know you have tried a different CF card but have you tried a DIFFERENT brand of card? I have used S5's for years and have never seen this problem

I have looked in my S5 book and cannot find a solution to your problem. It basically says to format the card and try again. Try a different brand of card and try that. If that doesn't work the book says to contact FUJI repair.

Good luck with your problem
respectfully,
David Miller

FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,871
Like?

There are a couple of things to try. Download some of the free file recovery software from the internet and try that with the cards in a card reader. If you buy a Sandisk Pro card it comes with free sotrware as do the higher end Lexars. There are third party programs if you do an internet search. See if the software will dig up any files on the card. Save the images recovered to a new folder and run the software a couple of more times since each run will recover a different set of files. If you are lucky you will get all but a couple of photos back.

If the recovery software does not work then reformat the card in the camera and try the recovery software again. Reformatting does not delete the images just the file names and such. If this is what is corrupted then when it is "gone" the recovery software may have a better chance at finding the image data. If that does not work then the photos are probably not recoverable.

Format the cards in the card reader on the computer. The format software in the computer will map out defective segments in the card so they do not get used again. Then reformat the card in the camera and try some more photos.

If you are just downloading some of the card to the computer and then deleting those images while leaving some images on the card the card will end up like your hard drive and become horribly fragmented. That can cause problems when the camera tries to find places to stick the image and it's related data. It is best to download the entire card to your computer and then reformat the card in the camera before you add more images to keep the fragments to a minimum.

Before you do this you might want to copy the card to a folder on the computer if it will do that in case you later find a recovery program which will work.

Good Luck.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

TwoMetreBill
Regular MemberPosts: 282
Like?
In reply to FlossTycoon, May 13, 2012

"Format the cards in the card reader on the computer." BUT do not click the quick format box. Only a format that overwrites the whole card will 'potentially' remap the bad sectors.

In addition to using a separate card, use one with less capacity. I've been a Kingston user for as long as they've been in business and have noticed a drop in quality since they've been focusing on being the cheapest. Their slow cards seem to be more reliable than their fast ones. Even SanDisk is dropping.
--
Bill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads