7D peripheral correction with Tokina 12-24mm II lens

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
MonteCarlo67
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
7D peripheral correction with Tokina 12-24mm II lens
May 5, 2012

I just noticed that when I have my Tokina 12-24mm f/4 II lens on my 7D it says in the "peripheral correction" setting that lens data is available. I was under the impression that only Canon brand lenses have this information available. I hooked the camera up to the computer and used the EOS Utility to see what lenses are listed and it does not show up. Has anyone else noticed this with third party lenses? For what it's worth, I attached my only other third party lens (Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4) and it says there is no information available. Could it be that the camera thinks a certain Canon lens (maybe the 17-40mm or 10-22mm) is attached? Sorry if this has been covered before but I tried a search and found nothing on this.

MonteCarlo67's gear list:MonteCarlo67's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,208Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D peripheral correction with Tokina 12-24mm II lens
In reply to MonteCarlo67, May 5, 2012

MonteCarlo67 wrote:

Could it be that the camera thinks a certain Canon lens (maybe the 17-40mm or 10-22mm) is attached?

I believe that you are on the right track here. In the EXIF data, there is a "Lens ID". If you check one of your photos with EXIF Tool GUI, you will find the Lens ID and possibly the associated Canon lens.

When the third party manufacturers make a lens, they do not have Canon Lens IDs, only Canon does. So, they will copy a Lens ID from a similar Canon lens and install it into the lens. Thus, when the camera querys the lens for its ID, the lens provides the ID loaded by Sigma, or whoever made the lens. Canon must have additional checks implemented because, as you found out, more than just the ID is required to make certain proprietary functions operate.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 5,794Gear list
Like?
In reply to MonteCarlo67, May 6, 2012

You don't say what program you are using, but I'll assume you mean Canon Digital Photo Professional. Since that is a Canon provided program it isn't surprising that they only put lens profiles for Canon lenses in the program. The list of lenses is on page 60-61 of the DPP manual, which is found on the EOS Digital Software Instruction Manual disk.

If you have access to either Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom then you can check their lens corrections list for your lens. If your lens isn't included in the Adobe lists then you can create your own lens correction profile using the free Adobe Lens Profile Creator. You can add this lens profile to the list in Photoshop and/or Lightroom.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

Another possibility is to search for a lens profile that someone else has already made available. You can search for your lens profile using the Adobe Lens Profile Preview software.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Austin_Luker
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 6, 2012

Sailor Blue wrote:

You don't say what program you are using, but I'll assume you mean Canon Digital Photo Professional. Since that is a Canon provided program it isn't surprising that they only put lens profiles for Canon lenses in the program. The list of lenses is on page 60-61 of the DPP manual, which is found on the EOS Digital Software Instruction Manual disk.

If you have access to either Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom then you can check their lens corrections list for your lens. If your lens isn't included in the Adobe lists then you can create your own lens correction profile using the free Adobe Lens Profile Creator. You can add this lens profile to the list in Photoshop and/or Lightroom.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

Another possibility is to search for a lens profile that someone else has already made available. You can search for your lens profile using the Adobe Lens Profile Preview software.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html

Wow your really missed the question here didn't you!
--
AustinLuker.com
7D-5DMKII-1DMKIV

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads