OMD 'MySet' question

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
Elderly
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
OMD 'MySet' question
May 5, 2012

I've assigned a base ISO, Tungsten WB, IS off, Bracketing set-up to 'MySet 1'
for an occasionaly used specific indoor tripod use.

But HOW do I get back to my more commonly used outdoor walk-about mode
with deleting the 'MySet 1' setting?

My first impression of this camera's operation was despair ......
how could I EVER get to grips with something so 'sophisticated' (at my age!)
but a day of agony has proved fruitful - so long as I can remember tomorrow
what I've learned today.

Thanks.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,894Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD 'MySet' question
In reply to Elderly, May 5, 2012

I have not yet got my E-M5, but I have read the manual in advance and I have also wondered about that.

First and secure solution : before tweaking your settings, you store your most used settings in Myset 1. You have then three other Myset possibilities.

Possible other solution ? I' not sure whether this will work ? The first menu item, before the Myset options, is a reset option offering two possibilities : a full reset where everything is reset to default, except the date and time and what they call a basic reset, where some settings are kept but not others. The manual describes p111 which settings will be restaured in both cases. Question what kind of settings are restaured in the basic resetting : the default factory settings ? Or the user settings you had before switching to Myset ? It would be nice if that was the way to restaure the usual user settings rather than the factory defaults. If this is not the case, then you are loosing one Myset, only to memorize your usual settings.

Anyone has a cue ?

Elderly wrote:

what I've learned today.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Menu->1->reset/myset->Reset Basic?

Menu-> 1-> reset/myset-> Reset Basic?

This returns many of the settings to their defaults.

There needs to be a button to cycle between the stored MySet settings.

AntnioGM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,656Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD 'MySet' question

Easy. That can't be any different than the other m4/3's cameras.

Just choose your usual settings: Focusing points. S,C or M. White balance. ISO. Plus whatever other setting you usually use. After you've done this, go to Menu, chose cogs, and then choose Button Dial. All you have to do now is memorize this settings on My Mode1 or 2, by hitting OK.

António GM.

AntnioGM's gear list:AntnioGM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Leica D-LUX 4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Leica V-Lux 20 Epson R-D1 +6 more
DekHog
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
A Little Tutorial
In reply to AntnioGM, May 5, 2012

Mysets can be most frustrating at first - I wrote a little tutorial I've posted on a few forums, but you can get in a document at the link below if it would be of any help......

http://www.mediafire.com/?a9av4rzk72pn4z6

DekHog's gear list:DekHog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,602Gear list
Like?
Re: A Little Tutorial
In reply to DekHog, May 5, 2012

DekHog wrote:

Mysets can be most frustrating at first - I wrote a little tutorial I've posted on a few forums, but you can get in a document at the link below if it would be of any help......

http://www.mediafire.com/?a9av4rzk72pn4z6

Thanks for that, now I understand MySets and probably will start using them for the first time. I took the liberty of adding your link to my Links page http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/03-epl1-links.html or maybe with your permission will make a page with acknowledgement to you to muddle in with my E-PL1 pages that are more like general M4/3 pages now. http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/01-epl1-menu.html

Please let me know if it's OK to use your info in my pages, and what name that you would like to appear - email me or send a private message here on DPReview.

As for camera custom settings, I would have to say the Olympus has the worst implementation that I've ever seen, and Casio has by far the most useful and friendly method where I can have up to 999 (yes, 999) custom modes stored in internal memory and can be copied to PC and modified (and translated between Casio models) with third party software.

Regards.......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Guy Parsons
Like?
Follow up
In reply to Guy Parsons, May 5, 2012

Just now went back into my E-PL1 and naturally the MyMode or whatever they call it is completely different to the MySets of later Pens. Total confusing nonsense in the E-PL1 manual and in the menus for the E-PL1 - so that is why I have never been there.

Nevertheless I will persist and try and make an E-PL1 specific help page for E-PL1 MyModes and Resets and try and find what each does under what conditions. The general MySet help needs to be defined as to what bodies that applies to, maybe E-PL2 onwards in time? I will dig into all the downloaded manuals to see what works where.

Again, Olympus have made a tragic mess of trying to set up any semblance of Custom modes, they should buy a Panasonic body or better still a Casio pocket camera and see how to do it properly.

Regards....... Guy

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Ron Co
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566
Like?
my attempt

OK as another elderly I have been avoiding this , never used it in any of my cameras but ....

First thing required is a note book IMHO ,seriously who can remember such things- if you set a "Myset" for the first position you need to remember what mode the camera was set for at the time so (unless you can rename them? )

Write down Myset 1 -indoors tungsten -manual mode (or whatever) and store it as Myset 1
next got to your say outdoor setting in A set it up and store it as Myset 2

for Myset 3 high speed work in S set it up and store it as Myset 3

now when you want to call on each you need to put the camera in the correct mode A M or S (according to my simple examples) then go to Menu select Myset appropriate to the use, as far as I see it will not use myset 1 (M) if it is in Auto or other than M
similarly with all mysets

In my opinion it is more work than it is worth and not something I will be using.

Most times i know if i want to use A,M ,S or Auto and do the set up at the time

besides you know I would always forget to bring my note book with me , or the reading glasses to read it

I THINK this is right I have only had my camera 7 days and am still struggling with things myself, my biggest pain at the moment is the simple locking of central focus , the darn thing has a mind of its own I tell you LOL

IMHO versatile is great but simple is better!

regards from Tasmania
Ron

Elderly wrote:

what I've learned today.

know that feeling

Thanks.

dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Practice it and you'll like it
In reply to Ron Co, May 5, 2012

I probably went through the same cussing and frustration as everyone else about myset. The tutorial on this thread is excellent, it explains everything as I know it.

I would only add that as your shooting workflow you start every session by selecting the appropriate MYSET. I have one for normal defaults, indoor and outdoor which is really portrait and landscape shooting modes.

Follow that tutorial, don't go to the right in the MYSET menu unless you want to SAVE your current settings!!! If you get caught in the MYSET 'loop' you might just throw your camera away... I nearly sent mine back!

But now here we are 6000 shots later and ... all is well!

E-PL2
--
Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
DeWitt
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Another senior's input
In reply to Ron Co, May 6, 2012

Ron give a try. At 74 I may be in your league and with my E-510 I didn't really take advantage of this feature, but after reading several recent threads on the subject I am a firm believer in the usefulness of the Mysets. I started with Myset 4 assign with my most frequent shooting settings on my new E-M5.

I have a frequent need to photograph paintings for entry applications to art shows and to post to my webpage. Before I used Myset it would take me several minutes of menu diving to turn off image stabilization, turn on shock prevention, assign base ISO, etc. Now with those features assigned in MYset 3 I just go to the menu once and click "set", "yes" for Myset 3.

On my webpage (below) so far I've only used the E-M5 to photograph one of the 70 or so paintings, but with the use of Myset 3 I know I will not procrastinate as often regarding producing these images.

Now if only there were a button that would set up the tripod and attach the camera

Bob
--
DeWitt
http://www.rdewitt.net

DeWitt's gear list:DeWitt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,702Gear list
Like?
By using MySet 2, 3, or 4 for your other most used settings?
In reply to Elderly, May 6, 2012

Elderly wrote:

Save your other most used settings into one of the other MySets. For instance normal outdoor into MySet1, B&W in MySet2, studio settings into MySet3, etc. Then just highlight the MySet you want press OK to load in its settings whenever you want to load in those particular defaults.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
DekHog
Like?
Re: By using MySet 2, 3, or 4 for your other most used settings?
In reply to Mike_PEAT, May 6, 2012

Guy - have PM'd you. Nice set of links on your page; most useful.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,702Gear list
Like?
In reply to DekHog, May 6, 2012

DekHog wrote:

You replied to the wrong post in the thread...I don't currently have a page up, nor did I get a PM from you.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
DekHog
Like?
In reply to Mike_PEAT, May 6, 2012

Mike_PEAT wrote:

DekHog wrote:

You replied to the wrong post in the thread...I don't currently have a page up, nor did I get a PM from you.

Ah, just ignore me, I always just hit reply to the last post in the thread and don't pay much attention to post titles..... I always find it a bit weird how folks in here use the subject line to reply.....

Elderly
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Re: A Little Tutorial

Thanks all for the responses ...... I will digest them tomorrow!

Guy Parsons
Like?

DekHog wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

DekHog wrote:

Ah, just ignore me, I always just hit reply to the last post in the thread and don't pay much attention to post titles..... I always find it a bit weird how folks in here use the subject line to reply.....

The evils of using flat view..... things end up anywhere.

Meanwhile this is the right Guy, just woke up, 5:30am here in Sydney, will read PM now and reply.

Thanks..... regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons
Like?
Elderly.....

Elderly wrote:

Thanks all for the responses ...... I will digest them tomorrow!

The Olympus way of doing custom modes is extremely poor, and various bodies do it in different ways. I will sort out some explanation pages to add once I have sifted through all the manuals. So far I have totally ignored MyMode/MySet as it is too darn confusing.

Again I repeat, the Casio way is the best where the custom modes are attached to the scene modes, so no new mode switch position is needed. Any settings/adjustments to make any of the PASM or any other scene or art mode can be stored as a new "scene" mode.

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons
Like?
A summary page

Early days but here is a quick summary of which Pen/OM-D has what custom modes available http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/25-epl1-custom.html

Later (maybe much later) I will make a page of instructions for each camera hopefully like the page that DekHog above has already made at http://www.mediafire.com/?a9av4rzk72pn4z6 . That page (with permission having been granted) will be incorporated into my mess soon.

Basically from E-PL2 onwards there are four presets available to customise, earlier than that there are only two available.

Regards.......... Guy

bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the summary
In reply to Guy Parsons, May 11, 2012

Thanks for putting together some info on this. I suspected from reading the manual that custom settings were available, but the documentation on the OM-D is pretty 'thin' Looking at the mode dial, I thought this was something I was going to give up with the OM-D, but nice to know custom settings are in there somewhere...

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads