Will liveview be fixed for the d800?

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
moonpeep
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Will liveview be fixed for the d800?
May 5, 2012

D800 would be killer for landscape use but not without this essential feature. I had just assumed that it worked like canons... but apparently it's not easy to tell whether or not you're in focus. (the whole point, for me)

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul
Contributing MemberPosts: 594Gear list
Like?
Re: Will liveview be fixed for the d800?
In reply to moonpeep, May 5, 2012

D800 LCD is a lot better than previous model and better than something than you believe it better, how much money that Canon pay you?
--
I'm photographer from Thailand and English not my primary, sorry.

Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list:Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AW 11-27.5mm
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
moonpeep
Like?
In reply to Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul, May 5, 2012

I really don't want to talk about canon here. Canon is the only liveview I have used, so I referenced it. It works great by zooming in at 5x, 10x... so you can get a precise focus.

I shoot landscape and the d800 is a perfect landscape camera but I need this feature... I can't imagine going back to the old way of manually focusing. It was really disappointing to hear of the issue with liveview.

Anybody that shoots landscape knows what I'm talking about.

Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
Re: No troll but a real problem that should be fixed by Nikon
In reply to Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul, May 5, 2012

You clearly haven't tried to use the LCD screen have you?

If you did you would know that there is a problem using live view.
Like is shown on this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSALyicAdj4

Its a real problem that should be fixed by Nikon.

I for example have problems making nice pictures of wedding rings due to this issue.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
moonpeep
Like?
Re: No troll but a real problem that should be fixed by Nikon
In reply to Just a Photographer, May 5, 2012

Just a Photographer wrote:

You clearly haven't tried to use the LCD screen have you?

If you did you would know that there is a problem using live view.
Like is shown on this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSALyicAdj4

Its a real problem that should be fixed by Nikon.

I for example have problems making nice pictures of wedding rings due to this issue.

Yes. Guess this is an issue for most of us shooting heavily manual. Was just seeing if this was fixed. There was some discussion that it may be something Nikon could patch... but never heard a verdict.

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,887
Like?
No, only Canons are working like Canons

Hi moonpoop,

I would absolutely stay with Canon.
Because only Canon work happily like Canons.

Nikons work like Nikons (..and you probable got it already...Pentax work like Pentax camera's)

Michel

moonpeep wrote:

D800 would be killer for landscape use but not without this essential feature. I had just assumed that it worked like canons... but apparently it's not easy to tell whether or not you're in focus. (the whole point, for me)

-- hide signature --
gonzalu
Forum ProPosts: 10,372Gear list
Like?
Hahhaha... funny post

Really? OMG we are all shaking in our boots. Get serious. If you're THAT serious about photography, you would figure out a way to use the tool that suits you... so go back to Canon then if it is what suits you instead of trying to shoehorn the poor tech that does not help you.

You could focus the old fashioned way.
You could use a magnifying right angle adaptor
You could use distance measuring
You could use infinity
You could use Hyperfocal
You could be using an old 1970's film camera

Again your post is hilarious. I just love those who complain here instead of just getting the tool they want. Seems like you;re happier with Canon so stick to it. Stop cluttering this forum with nonsensical posts. How can we know if Nikon will fix it? Puh leez!

You may be better off in Nikon Rumors.
--
Manny
http://www.pbase.com/gonzalu/
http://www.thrustimages.com/
FCAS Member - http://fcasmembers.com/

gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Just a Photographer
Like?
Re:Don't be foolish if you don't know what this problem is about
In reply to M Lammerse, May 5, 2012

Check this youtube video and you know that this is a real problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSALyicAdj4

Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Just a Photographer
Like?
Re: Don't be stupid the TS is right.
In reply to gonzalu, May 5, 2012
M Lammerse
Like?
Read the OP's trollment

He want to have the camera operating the same as a Canon.

He should stay with Canon for that - a Nikon camera is operating like a Nikon camera.

Michel

Check this youtube video and you know that this is a real problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSALyicAdj4

-- hide signature --
M Lammerse
Like?

Yes and???

Michel

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSALyicAdj4

-- hide signature --
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,541Gear list
Like?
This isn't Canon vs Nikon

gonzalu wrote:

Really? OMG we are all shaking in our boots. Get serious. If you're THAT serious about photography, you would figure out a way to use the tool that suits you... so go back to Canon then if it is what suits you instead of trying to shoehorn the poor tech that does not help you.

Manual LV focusing is a valuable tool in many situations. I cannot obtain good results with it, on the D800E because the full vertical resolution of the sensor is not fed to the display. It requires time-consuming workarounds. This problem does not exist with the D3, D3s or D4.

Again your post is hilarious. I just love those who complain here instead of just getting the tool they want. Seems like you;re happier with Canon so stick to it. Stop cluttering this forum with nonsensical posts. How can we know if Nikon will fix it? Puh leez!

Nikon does need to fix this - just to keep the D800 up to the same functional level as their other camera models.

John4
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
Same Q

You know, I had the same question as the OP. The pixel-interpolation scheme used on the D800 is said to be different than other Nikons and could be better.

It seems to me it could be fixed in firmware, and I wonder if those who know more about Nikon's policies think it will be.

For the suspicious, my credentials are that I don't own any Canons, I don't post or read there and don't care what they do.

It is a legitimate question.

Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,541Gear list
Like?
No, different Nikons work differently

M Lammerse wrote:

Nikons work like Nikons (..and you probable got it already...Pentax work like Pentax camera's)

No, Nikons are not all the same. The D800/E does not have the same LV display quality as the D700, D3, D3s, D4, etc. It is a real problem, and it does need to be fixed.

Just a Photographer
Like?

Just trying to make it clear to your one and only braincell that this is a real problem.

Meaby you should watch the youtube video and finally understand what this problem is about, instead of just stupidly answering a real question like its one comming from a troll.

If you use LV you will come to the same conclusion that the LV function of the D800 sucks big.

M Lammerse
Like?
Re: This isn't Canon vs Nikon
In reply to Marianne Oelund, May 5, 2012

The OP knows damn well about it, mentioning it in relation to Canon "I had just assumed it worked like canons" in this forum says enough for the reasson to his post

Michel

Marianne Oelund wrote:

gonzalu wrote:

Manual LV focusing is a valuable tool in many situations. I cannot obtain good results with it, on the D800E because the full vertical resolution of the sensor is not fed to the display. It requires time-consuming workarounds. This problem does not exist with the D3, D3s or D4.

Nikon does need to fix this - just to keep the D800 up to the same functional level as their other camera models.

-- hide signature --
Just a Photographer
Like?
Re: yawn

Comming from Canon myself, I never had thought Nikon would implement LV in such a stupid way...

You have mental problem and should seek some help.

Its not that all people that have used Canon gear are all trolls...

M Lammerse
Like?
Re: No, different Nikons work differently
In reply to Marianne Oelund, May 5, 2012

Hi Marianne,

I know about the difference between the camera's it was mentioned earlier on as well.
Read the OP question: he wants it to work as in canons, it does not.

Michel

Marianne Oelund wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

No, Nikons are not all the same. The D800/E does not have the same LV display quality as the D700, D3, D3s, D4, etc. It is a real problem, and it does need to be fixed.

-- hide signature --
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Yes, for you they will

Your wish is Nikon's command. LMAO.

On a more serious note, LV in the D800/E could be improved to facilitate MF accuracy. Hopefully Nikon are working towards a fix.

moonpeep
Like?

Some of you guys are insane. Good lord.

I couldn't care less about brands. It's just a brand. I'm interested in the Nikon because it looks like the best landscape camera out there.

So I reviewed it and was disappointed to learn of this issue.

And I want to know if it will be fixed.

The end.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads