Transfer Photos Windows7 to ipad w/o iTunes

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
Transfer Photos Windows7 to ipad w/o iTunes
May 5, 2012

I process my images on my PC. How do I get these on my ipad2 to view on that nice screen?

Oh, and I want to do it without iTunes.

seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197
Like?
Re: Transfer Photos Windows7 to ipad w/o iTunes
In reply to Undah, May 5, 2012

Use Dropbox, MS Skydrive, Goggle Drive, Box.net, etc….. if you had a Mac, you could use iCloud to sync desktop and iPad.

Use Filezilla (client on PC, free download from Web) and Photo Manager Pro (on iPad; see App Store for download).

Use Photo Transfer App (on iPad; see App Store for download).

Just a few ways I've heard of lately.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
In reply to seeblue, May 5, 2012

Which of these allows you to connect to the ipad to the pc via the cable (not wireless network) and transfer photos into separate folders to be viewed by the photos icon on the ipad?

seeblue wrote:

Use Dropbox, MS Skydrive, Goggle Drive, Box.net, etc….. if you had a Mac, you could use iCloud to sync desktop and iPad.

Use Filezilla (client on PC, free download from Web) and Photo Manager Pro (on iPad; see App Store for download).

Use Photo Transfer App (on iPad; see App Store for download).

Just a few ways I've heard of lately.

seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197
Like?

PTA is a wireless app. PMP is wireless or uses iTunes.

I don't believe there is a way to transfer images or anything else via the Dock Connector to USB Cable without using iTunes (purposely built this way by Apple).

The other way to get images on your iPad is by using the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) and connect your camera directly to the iPad, or load an SD card with images with the appropriate naming and format, and let the iPad import them.

That's about all I know.

Barry Carter
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,363Gear list
Like?

The quickest way I know is to use the Apple camera connection kit. You have to DL your photos onto an CD or SD card, then plug the card directly into the Apple cable. Photos are automatically transferred to iPad.........Barry

Barry Carter's gear list:Barry Carter's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300
photoshutter
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
In reply to seeblue, May 6, 2012

You can transfer images by Image Capture without itunes.
--
Still Life Photography
http://www.photoshutter.ca

Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoshutter, May 6, 2012

photoshutter wrote:

You can transfer images by Image Capture without itunes.

Not a great idea. The OP wants to move photos from PC to iPad. And he is using Windows 7 so he may have problems with running a Mac app

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
Peter Rongsted
Like?
In reply to Undah, May 6, 2012

Undah wrote:

I process my images on my PC. How do I get these on my ipad2 to view on that nice screen?

Why not use iTunes?

Peter

Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
+1 and...
In reply to Barry Carter, May 6, 2012

Yup, that is the easy way.

Make a DCIM directory on the sd card

copy the photos from the computer to the sd card into the DCIM directory

BUT, note that the IPAD is fussy about the naming format. The pic names must be 8 characters with a jpg extension and the 8 characters must look like the names that come out of a camera.

for example pic_0023.jpg will work.

-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, May 6, 2012

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Undah wrote:

Why not use iTunes?

Good question. Sometimes trying to avoid iTunes creates a lot of compromises and extra steps that can go wrong or become a chore. If there is a strong technical reason why it can't be used, then you have to find an alternative, but often it seems based on an aesthetic or emotional dislike that amounts to cutting your nose off to spite your face.

-Najinsky

dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,716
Like?
It's even worse with music files.
In reply to Najinsky, May 6, 2012

Gotta love this stupid Apple BS system. (Owner of Apple ipad & iphone) If it wasn't for the awesome display I'd be out of here. Give us a USB port and a file manager so we can move files at will.

I tried to create a background music file in Garage Band for a slideshow and had to email it to myself on the computer, then send it back to the ipad with itunes to get it in the music app. I couldn't get this to work either until I found the right settings in itunes. What a pain!
--

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at http://www.dennismullen.com .

Peter Rongsted
Like?
Re: It's even worse with music files.
In reply to dennismullen, May 7, 2012

dennismullen wrote:

I tried to create a background music file in Garage Band for a slideshow and had to email it to myself on the computer, then send it back to the ipad with itunes to get it in the music app. I couldn't get this to work either until I found the right settings in itunes. What a pain!

Whats wrong with Share - Export Song to Disk?

Then you would have an AAC or a MP3 file you could import into your app. It would have been a lot easier.

Peter

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,605
Like?
In reply to Najinsky, May 7, 2012

Najinsky wrote:

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Undah wrote:

Why not use iTunes?

Good question. Sometimes trying to avoid iTunes creates a lot of compromises and extra steps that can go wrong or become a chore. If there is a strong technical reason why it can't be used, then you have to find an alternative, but often it seems based on an aesthetic or emotional dislike that amounts to cutting your nose off to spite your face.

iTunes for Windows, in my experience, is one of the most inconvenient, bloated, and poorly written programs I ever actually use. I've used iTunes for years and years and ever since the addition of the iTunes store it has slowed down and gotten larger with every additional update. It is now to the point that it takes 30-40 seconds to even open on my desktop and frequently crashes (the same thing happens on my laptops as well).

The need to use iTunes is what drove me to an Android phone and is a large part of what is holding me back from buying an iPad. Like you said, there are ways around it, but they are usually just as crappy and can be quite a chore.

dennismullen
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, May 8, 2012

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Then you would have an AAC or a MP3 file you could import into your app. It would have been a lot easier.

In the ipad Garage Band app there is no choice for share - export song to disk. You can share via itunes or Mail. Plus now I find out the quality is lowered when passing a file without any warning. It's all so bogus.
--

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.

Peter Rongsted
Like?
In reply to dradam, May 8, 2012

dradam wrote:

iTunes for Windows, in my experience, is one of the most inconvenient, bloated, and poorly written programs I ever actually use. I've used iTunes for years and years and ever since the addition of the iTunes store it has slowed down and gotten larger with every additional update. It is now to the point that it takes 30-40 seconds to even open on my desktop and frequently crashes (the same thing happens on my laptops as well).

Its been a long time since iTunes crashed on my computer. But I'm using a Mac and I wouldn't be surprised if it runs better on OS X than on Windows.

Anyway the app is 223MB on Mac. I wouldn't exactly call that bloated.

The need to use iTunes is what drove me to an Android phone and is a large part of what is holding me back from buying an iPad. Like you said, there are ways around it, but they are usually just as crappy and can be quite a chore.

You don't need iTunes to set up an iPad or iPhone any longer. You don't even need a computer. So one less reason for not getting an iPad

Peter

Peter Rongsted
Like?
In reply to dennismullen, May 8, 2012

dennismullen wrote:

Peter Rongsted wrote:

In the ipad Garage Band app there is no choice for share - export song to disk. You can share via itunes or Mail. Plus now I find out the quality is lowered when passing a file without any warning. It's all so bogus.

Ah, sorry. I wasn't aware that you were talking about the iPad version of Garage Band. The app has been on OS X for years. Thats what I was thinking about - I don't even have the iPad version!

Where in the chain is that the quality gets lowered?

Peter

dennismullen
Like?

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Ah, sorry. I wasn't aware that you were talking about the iPad version of Garage Band. The app has been on OS X for years. Thats what I was thinking about - I don't even have the iPad version!

Yes that's the rub. The only way to get a music file to the music app on the ipad is though itunes and apparently it feels the needs to lower the quality of anything it transfers. The whole experience is frustrating. There is no indication of file extension, or size, or creation date, so you have no idea what the software is doing.

Any computer device needs an import port (USB) and a file manager like explorer on a PC. Apple is creating this nightmare just to force you to buy everything from the Apple store.

Cheers,
--

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,605
Like?

Peter Rongsted wrote:

dradam wrote:

Its been a long time since iTunes crashed on my computer. But I'm using a Mac and I wouldn't be surprised if it runs better on OS X than on Windows.

I would fully believe that it works great on a Mac, but on a PC it's pretty awful. I'd also gladly chalk that up to just a quirk with my computer, but my desktop is reasonably powerful and the problems appear on my other computers as well.

Anyway the app is 223MB on Mac. I wouldn't exactly call that bloated.

In terms of all programs it's not huge, but for just a music player? Besides, it doesn't help that you get Quicktime, and Update Helper, and whatever other crap Apple decides to sneak onto your machine.

It also rather bugs me that I have to download the WHOLE thing for every new update/patch.

You don't need iTunes to set up an iPad or iPhone any longer. You don't even need a computer. So one less reason for not getting an iPad

No, you don't need iTunes to set one up, just to get any of your music/videos/photos on there.

Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,251
Like?
Why not use iTunes? Let's see...
In reply to Najinsky, May 9, 2012

Najinsky wrote:
Peter Rongsted wrote:
Why not use iTunes?

It is more than aesthetics.

iTunes’ Windows Problem
April 15, 2012 - 11:16 pm | Edited by Jean-Louis Gassée

... the toxic waste of success cripples iTunes. There are times when I feel that iTunes has reached Windows Vista bloatware proportions: Increasingly non-sensical complexity, inconsistencies, layers of patches over layers of patches ending up in a structure so labyrinthine no individual can internalize it any longer. (Just like the Tax Code.)

iTunes’ metastasis happened naturally as it tried to incorporate new packaging and delivery systems. The media — music, videos, apps — is no longer the message. iTunes gives you TV seasons, college courses, audiobooks, podcasts; it passes files between Macs and iPads, syncs devices, uploading and downloading everything through the Cloud…and should we mention Ping, the unfortunate attempt at “social”?

iTunes has turned into an operating system — kludgier and uglier than many — a role it was never meant to fill. ...
http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/04/15/itunes%E2%80%99-windows-problem/

Is close to how I'd phrase it, but Jean-Louis Gassée has a bit more experience with Apple than I do, so I went with his description.

Wayne

Drad10
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Why not use iTunes? Let's see...
In reply to Wayne Larmon, May 9, 2012

It is more than aesthetics.

iTunes’ Windows Problem
April 15, 2012 - 11:16 pm | Edited by Jean-Louis Gassée

... the toxic waste of success cripples iTunes. There are times when I feel that iTunes has reached Windows Vista bloatware proportions: Increasingly non-sensical complexity, inconsistencies, layers of patches over layers of patches ending up in a structure so labyrinthine no individual can internalize it any longer. (Just like the Tax Code.)

I run a Mac Air with Parallels, so have both Win 7 and Mac OS loaded. I also have iTunes on both OS's. Just now tried launching iTunes, first under Win 7, then under Mac. Results: On Windows 7, iTunes took just short of 30 seconds to be ready to use. On the Mac OS, it took about 4 seconds.

Granted, running Windows under Parallels might affect things, but I also have a beefy all-Windows desktop at home, and my subjective experience is that iTunes doesn't launch any faster on that machine than it does under Windows on the Mac Air.

-- hide signature --

drad10

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads