Bigron (Tamron SP 300mm f2.8)

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,682Gear list
Like?
Bigron (Tamron SP 300mm f2.8)
May 5, 2012

I just acquired a very nearly mint Tamron SP 300mm f2.8. It's my first really large lens and there is certainly a learning curve. It came with original box, pleather case, 1.4x, and an OM Adaptall mount. All caps and hood in great condition. I took it out this morning for a first go at it. Here are some shots.

What do you think? My tripod is probably not adequate. (Slik Pro 500DX). I'm building a wooden tripod right now that I will be much more solid.

Cheers,
Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?
Re: Bigron (Tamron SP 300mm f2.8)
In reply to SirSeth, May 5, 2012

Nice!

I had one of these (used with a focus confirm adaptor on E-30), but only used it a bit as that was when I switched to Nikon. I found that this lens looked good from f/4 on (at f/2.8 there was lots of CA). Things were pretty sharp from f/2.8 though. Biggest problem was nailing focus without a split screen; even the focus confirm adaptor wasn't quite accurate enough.
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to The Big One, May 5, 2012

I'm pretty used to manual focus lenses and the E-3 viewfinder seems to work well for me. (I also focus bracket a lot). It will be curious to test sharpness and CA with the 1.4x as well. I've wanted a big lens for as long as I can remember, so I'm really thrilled right now. My 50-200mm, while brilliant, has never been long enough for me. Eventually I'll probably upgrade to the Nikkor 400mm f3.5. Which is almost twice what I paid for this one.

Cheers,
Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,387Gear list
Like?
In reply to SirSeth, May 5, 2012

That looks like a nice lens. Like the vulture.

-- hide signature --

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )

http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

New Seventh Wonder of the World.

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
gfraser7
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
In reply to SirSeth, May 6, 2012

That lens does not make those turkey vultures any better looking.

SirSeth
Like?
In reply to gfraser7, May 6, 2012

I love vultures! But certainly not because they are pretty to look upon. They can sure fly though and are so social that they make me happy to see a knot of them in the sky. (As long as they are not scoping out me for lunch).

Thanks ya'll. Colin, I hope to join you guys on the Sunday bird more often.

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

OM 6Ti Plus
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?

SirSeth wrote:

I'm pretty used to manual focus lenses and the E-3 viewfinder seems to work well for me. (I also focus bracket a lot). It will be curious to test sharpness and CA with the 1.4x as well. I've wanted a big lens for as long as I can remember, so I'm really thrilled right now. My 50-200mm, while brilliant, has never been long enough for me.

Seth,

I got my Tamron set, same as yours, originally for use with my OMs and the film habit of not recording settings means that I had to scratch around to find some examples of the various permutations I have used over the years where it is actually recorded in the exif. The 140F doesn't degrade the quality that much and the 01F (2x TC) can be added behind that with CA inevitably getting more visible. Did you try it on the SuperMoon, it does fairly well, but I found even on a Manfrotto 028 tripod with 029 head I had to allow for the nose sagging even when locked up tight and live view focussing was interesting :).

A context shot with the 14-42 first, from closer-to than where I took the shots with the Tamron, then one from the 300 on it's own followed by the 300+1.4TC

The next one was through (clean) double glazing

and finally, I did try hand-held on a couple of occasions out in the garden. Fewer keepers, but it is capable:

and that with no IS on the E-1. That was leaning against the side of the house though.

Enjoy your new kit, I may not use mine all the time, but I have no intention of getting rid of it; it delivers.

Mike

Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?

So your the guy that outbid me . That is a beautiful lens, you might call it the 80's/90's version of the 300 2.8, check out Jim Flinchbaugh's gallery on fourthirdsdotcom, gorgeous photos.

I have seen some amazingly sharp pictures taken with this lens. I was really wanting a bigma but I think this far outshines the bigma if you nail focus, In fairness I have seen Collin and Greg get some pretty nice results from the bigma.
--
Have A Great Day!

Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to Darrell500, May 7, 2012

Darrell500 wrote:

So your the guy that outbid me . That is a beautiful lens, you might call it the 80's/90's version of the 300 2.8, check out Jim Flinchbaugh's gallery on fourthirdsdotcom, gorgeous photos.

I have seen some amazingly sharp pictures taken with this lens. I was really wanting a bigma but I think this far outshines the bigma if you nail focus, In fairness I have seen Collin and Greg get some pretty nice results from the bigma.
--
Have A Great Day!

Darrell

Greetings Darrel,

This was a private sale from a want add on the forums here. I have seen some of these go on ebay recently for good prices (and one that sold for $860 which I thought was high). I wish you the best of luck with acquiring your copy.

I'm looking forward to finishing my wood tripod to see if I can better nail focus and sharpness with a stable platform. I am guessing the learning curve is steeper with a lens like this than with a Bigma just because of the AF. And CA seems to be it's largest issue in certain lighting.

Best,
Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads