Ken Rockwell prefers his 5DMKIII over his D800

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
AusPhotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Ken Rockwell prefers his 5DMKIII over his D800
May 5, 2012

Ken Rockwell prefers his 5DMKIII over his D800, he states his reasons for this today -

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
phototrope
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell prefers his 5DMKIII over his D800
In reply to AusPhotographer, May 5, 2012

No surprise. He usually prefers the latest camera he's got his hands on and retrofits his reasons. Look at all his previous camera "reviews".

AusPhotographer wrote:

Ken Rockwell prefers his 5DMKIII over his D800, he states his reasons for this today -

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?

lol. You must be sick if you're a Canon shooter, this is surely the kiss of death. Hopefully all the little dweebs holding up the distribution of the D800 will now switch immediately because Rockwell, king of the JPEG, says so. The LCD and focus is awful on the D800 after all

Just remember to bring a roll of black tape if you pick up the "53" Kenny...

AusPhotographer wrote:

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
Minnesota_Steve
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?

Sure, one of his main concerns is he cannot rapidly switch from scenic shots to family shots. Another reason is ergonomic preferences, although he notes the D800 ergonomics vs. medium format cameras is preferred.

So I am guessing if all he did was scenic shots he would prefer the D800. I am just guessing that the D800 is not meant to be a family snapshot camera for most. I suspect a pocket camera would suit him well for that purpose.
--
Steve

Minnesota_Steve's gear list:Minnesota_Steve's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +8 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,016Gear list
Like?

Great - then he can stop dishing out bad advice to Nikon shooters.

AusPhotographer wrote:

Jim Trainor
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?

After the D800 racks up oohs and ahs from DxO, Luminous Landscape and others, it seems only fitting that the 5DIII would capture the coveted (said with a wink) Ken Rockwell endorsement.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 713Gear list
Like?

AusPhotographer wrote:

isn't it obvious by now that anyone who's interested in rockwell's opinions is already reading his site? does he employ you as his messenger boy to spread the word about his contrarian click-bait?

Hugo First's gear list:Hugo First's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 600 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3100 Nikon D800 +15 more
drifter605
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, May 5, 2012

Hi, His review also says :- The d800 is the best dslr ever made!!

Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?

He just someone that want peoples to hit his website & donated him.

-- hide signature --

I'm photographer from Thailand and English not my primary, sorry.

Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list:Thanatham Piriyakarnjanakul's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?

Well no more waiting for me I will just cancel my D800 order if it's not got taking snaps, that's all I wanted it for ( NOT )

I am often taking landscapes and need to rapidly take shots of the kids. May be I need 2 d800 's set to different settings
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

John Cote
Senior MemberPosts: 1,443
Like?
Ken is absolutly correct

Ken Rockwell says:

"The D800 is spectacular for those who need 36 MP to replace medium format. The D800 handles and shoots much better than the medium format cameras it replaces, but for normal and family use, the 5D Mark III is winning."

I would say that anyone who buys the D800 for family snaps...or kid's sports pix needs his or her head examined anyway. But that's just me
--

JohnCote
http://www.johncotephotography.com

'Cameras are just cr@p we have to lug around because there is no direct brain to printer connection...yet!'

ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
In reply to drifter605, May 5, 2012

Nothing wrong with that. The 5D3 is a very nice camera, especially in terms of ergonomics; and he probably got it for free. Diversity is good.

He also mentions that he has a yellow/green lcd on his D800. Weird. not seen any of that. My LCD is great and better than D700 in terms of accuracy.

The man also prefers his 28-300 and downsize the images to 6mp and in another article mentions that the only real camera that is worth having is a Leica M9 with leica lenses. Mmmm. This is a bit too much for me.

AJG
AJG
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken is absolutly correct
In reply to John Cote, May 5, 2012

'but for normal and family use, the 5D Mark III is winning'

strange it's the one without the easy pop up flash for those quick normal family shots

Ken Rockwell says:

"The D800 is spectacular for those who need 36 MP to replace medium format. The D800 handles and shoots much better than the medium format cameras it replaces, but for normal and family use, the 5D Mark III is winning."

I would say that anyone who buys the D800 for family snaps...or kid's sports pix needs his or her head examined anyway. But that's just me
--

-- hide signature --

PS please forgive me for any bad English or spelling
(I have the excuse of being Dyslexic)
Photography is my hobby not my career - so go light on me

AJG's gear list:AJG's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Canon EOS 6D +19 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?

John Cote wrote:

Ken Rockwell says:

I can't think of a more ridiculous KR comment (ok, I probably could if you give me a minute). You buy a $3500 camera for normal and family use? What a joke. How about you buy a $3000 D800 and shoot in small jpg mode.... or maybe buy neither.....

Arretose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048
Like?

The problem with Ken Rockwell is that he sensationalizes his opinion on his public forum (website) as if it is objective and factual, when really it is just a slanted opinion (some things I agree, most things I don't) and underneath it all, he has his agenda. The problem is, is that his subjective opinion is read by many Rockwellites as rock solid evidence to the best approach to photography. If you want factual and objective Information on Nikon

Cameras, I find Thom Hogan to be a much better unbiased, objective, and reliable source. I have yet to see Thom contraindicate himself. Rockwell is so wishy washy and back and forth on so many points that you never get a clear concise message.

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,717
Like?
So that definitely means...

... get the D800. It's the 180 degree rule. Find which direction the fool is pointing and head in a direction 180 degrees from it.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

argh69
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?

but he is right. the d800 is a step backwards in terms of ergonomics and speed for handheld shooting. this is a tripod camera for either studio or landscape. it is quite that simple if you want to get technical and to the point about it.

f56andbethere
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?

Ken says:

"...if you're more concerned about getting the shot in the first place and how the image looks on the LCD, the 5D Mark III wins."

Because, we all know, the most important way to judge or view a photo is the by looking at the LCD. In fact, there's no point in even editing photos or dumping them on the computer at all. Just save your memory cards and pop them back into the camera for your viewing pleasure. Can't beat a $3,500 View-Master!

Honestly, I don't know why he can't just admit he's an idiot. Half of his lens reviews say "this [18-600mm f/7.1-f/11] is the best lens ever!" Almost every camera review says "this is pretty much the world's best camera!" Nothing on his site is consistent. If you followed his advice, you'd be stuck with a D40 and an 18-55 for the rest of your life, because really, unless you're some "big-shot professional" (...and you know who you are), you don't really need anything else.

Photography boils down to the following things: Route 66, JPEG Basic Ultra-Tiny, Vivid Picture Control, with MAXIMUM Saturation and Sharpness. You're an idiot (or a pro), if you shoot anything else.

Please support him with a monthly payment of $99 so he can support his growing family (of cameras and lenses).

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,709
Like?
Thankyou Mr. Rockwell

Good joke ... now a bit lapsus of seriousness: one of the most attractive evolution on Nikon cameras is their ergonomics, the camera that best fits my hands.

But do not forget the inside, DXO labs overall score, 95 the D800, 81 the 53" ... LOL ... 95 vs 81 ... LOL ... ergonomics ? ... LOL ... thankyou Mr. Rockwell ... ROFLMAO.
--
Un saludo.

Jrobe
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Because that is all you need for snapshots of those kids

self explanatory

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads