Which is better sony hx10v or hx9v?

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
saurabh223
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Which is better sony hx10v or hx9v?
May 5, 2012

I am planning to buy a new compact camera around 400$(INR 20,000). I have zeroed on to sony hx10v and sony hx9v. I have compared the two cameras and find hx10v appealing with more intresting features. Should I buy hx10v or as some of the reviews say hx9v is better option?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dutchpepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199Gear list
Like?
Re: Which is better sony hx10v or hx9v?
In reply to saurabh223, May 5, 2012

saurabh223 wrote:

I am planning to buy a new compact camera around 400$(INR 20,000). I have zeroed on to sony hx10v and sony hx9v. I have compared the two cameras and find hx10v appealing with more intresting features. Should I buy hx10v or as some of the reviews say hx9v is better option?

I was in the same situation and decided for the Hx10v and I'm glad I did. Overall its faster than the hx9v and if you are doing alot of video this was a manger complaint with the hx9v. Its slow start up for video. Check out my gallery if you want to see some photos.
But what ever you decide on you are going to have a great compact camera

Dutchpepper's gear list:Dutchpepper's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a5000 Tamron AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 31,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dutchpepper, May 5, 2012

Dito

Dutchpepper wrote:

saurabh223 wrote:

I was in the same situation and decided for the Hx10v and I'm glad I did. Overall its faster than the hx9v and if you are doing alot of video this was a manger complaint with the hx9v. Its slow start up for video. Check out my gallery if you want to see some photos.
But what ever you decide on you are going to have a great compact camera

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 6D +7 more
sparkle1103
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,652
Like?
In reply to saurabh223, May 5, 2012

HX9V is better. The only difference I understand is 16mp to 18.5mpg

Janice
--
In Loving Memory of
Sparkle

July 4, 1993 to August 14, 2011

superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
In reply to sparkle1103, May 5, 2012

Janice, this is not correct. Although the HX9V is good, the HX10/20/30 are sharing a new sensor that seems to be providing better image quality (less water colour type effect). Also, its processing time is much quicker from what I've read, particularly with video.

notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 6, 2012

I'm starting to lean towards the 10xv. If speed and IQ are the same as the 20/30, the loss of zoom and 3 way optical stabilization might be worthwhile for a price.
(does the 9xv only have 2 way?)

There is the 1080i (10Xv) vs 1080p (20/30) but if you cannot shoot the 13mp stills during 1080p shooting and video processing on a PC may take more power than I own, I probably would not use 1080p.

aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 4,969Gear list
Like?
In reply to saurabh223, May 7, 2012

Same as HX200V is somehow better than HX100V, I have to admit,
I suppose H10 should be better than HX9.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.

Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
consultant1027
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 7, 2012

@ Sparkle: You need to define what you specifically mean by "best"

@ Superstar: If you are going to make IQ claims, it is best to provide a link that shows a comparison backing up your claim.

I've found most people in these forums endorse whatever they happened to be using without any examples to back up their claims.

I'm not sure why the OP has zereod in on Sony. There are other good choices in that price range. The Canon SX260HS for example. I just picked up a Panasonic ZS19 (ZS20 with no GPS). It is a major improvment in IQ over the ridiculed ZS10 (I use a ZS7 since it beats all the new cameras in IQ). The ZS19/ZS20 has gotten close enough to my ZS7 to justify an upgrade with minor IQ loss (little more noise). I've got a ZS15 coming to compare which seems to be the agreed on best IQ for an compact ultra-zoom at this time (along with the Canon SX230/SX260). I'm also thinking of trying the HX9V as it looks like the IQ may be better than the Panasonic (no yellow cast and less noise with minimal detail loss) but I've heard horror stories about how slow that camera is. The HX10V has softer pictures with heavier handed noise reduction. See for yourself:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/...Digital-Camera-Review/Noise-Reduction.htm

Pixel Peeping though should only be one of many factors used to determine the camera that best fits your needs. But to say one camera is best without any specifics as to why you think it is best, or claims that one excels in IQ over the other with no photo comparisons to show for it, is not very helpful.

consultant1027
Like?
In reply to consultant1027, May 7, 2012
consultant1027
Like?

For more detailed info see:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX10V-Digital-Camera-Review/Image-Quality.htm

Bottom line: Newer does not always equal better.

Dutchpepper
Like?

consultant1027 wrote:

For more detailed info see:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX10V-Digital-Camera-Review/Image-Quality.htm

Bottom line: Newer does not always equal better.

I wouldn't always believe what you read, I read this review a few days after it came out the overall score they gave it was only 5.3 now I see it is up to 7.8?? are they trying to please there advertisers?? Any way I went and bought the camera have reading this review

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/sony-cyber-shot-hx10v-p12808/test.html

and I must say I am very pleased I did, the camera is excellent! see some images in my gallery. I can't say if it is better or not because I never owned the Hx9v, I just let the images speak for them self. They are both great cameras that we can all agree on

Sony SLT-A57 Sony a5000 Tamron AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
consultant1027
Like?
In reply to Dutchpepper, May 7, 2012

I'm not sure how you can argue with actual real photos as shown here:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX10V-Digital-Camera-Review/Noise-Reduction.htm

???

Further more, if the OP is concerned about image quality as far as noise and detail, I would suggest they examine these shots regarding the HX9V realizing that the HX10V is worse with more loss of detail than the HX9V.

These are actual photos taken from the cameras.

Each person puts different weight on different aspects of the camera. Most people here never got the chance to use more than one camera at the same time to compare operation, IQ, etc. so their opinion is not very objective, and typically biased to whatever they own. No one wants a case of buyers remorse. Ignorance is bliss in many cases. Especially in electronics as your TV/Camera/etc. is outdated 6 mos. after you buy it.

From what I've read, the Sony has an excellent lens, and is excellent for shooting video. Although most all these cameras in this category will have more than adequate video shooting capabilities for your average home user. For your average casual home users, I think what it boils down to is ease-of-use (mainly - does the full Auto mode actually work well in a variety of shot settings with good/quick focus, good color and contrast and shadow detail), and, unfortunately, most people have a bias regarding brand name despite how the current model stacks up against other brands.

Maybe this is why the OP is focusing on Sony and didn't mention Canon. Based on comparative reviews, the new Canon SX260HS seems to be a better choice, all things considered, than the HX9V or HX10V.

I had just ordered an HX9V this morning to compare to the Panasonic ZS19 I have right now but canceled it when I remembered the poor detail and noise in the higher ISOs I had seen in that review a while back - not to mention a lot of complaints about the photo review and the video taking startup be PAINFULLY slow on the HX9V. I instead am running down to Costco today to grab and SX260 to compare. I should mention, decent performance at high ISO is important to me because a) I like to avoide using flash, and b) I like to take sports photos using zoom so I need best IQ (low noise/high detail) I can get at ISO 400/800.

On the HX9V, aside from the 'watercolor' effect of the noise reduction, lots of people were complaining about missing the shot waiting for the camera to get ready. The HXV9 is easy to use, has superb color balance, and so for the average person that respects the Sony brand, that isn't concerned about degradation in image quality for large prints, it is not a bad choice if they can live with the slowness. The HX10V seems to address the slowness problem but once again, it takes a step backward in IQ due to putting a higher megapixel sensor in basically for marketing purposes (people think more megapixels is always better.) It's hard for a manufacturer to resist 'keeping up' with the others in the MP wars. If all you are ever going to print is 4x6 or 5x7, and you are set on a SONY, the HX10V IS probably the best choice.

I won't buy a camera solely base on what someone posts in a forum, what a review says, or what a salesman says. I try them all myself and compare operation and IQ. I have not made a selection as of yet but ran into this thread as I was initially very excited about the HX10V. I think I would have got it if the IQ was AT LEAST as good as the HX9V. But I decided I'm not willing to sacrifice high ISO IQ AND operation speed. Maybe one or the other but not both. Especially if there's something out there that does better at both.

BOTTOM LINE: Between HX9V and HX10V, HX9V has better Image Quality, HX10V has faster operation and better/newer specs/features.

Dutchpepper
Like?

I won't buy a camera solely base on what someone posts in a forum, what a review says, or what a salesman says. I try them all myself and compare operation and IQ. I have not made a selection as of yet but ran into this thread as I was initially very excited about the HX10V. I think I would have got it if the IQ was AT LEAST as good as the HX9V. But I decided I'm not willing to sacrifice high ISO IQ AND operation speed. Maybe one or the other but not both. Especially if there's something out there that does better at both.

BOTTOM LINE: Between HX9V and HX10V, HX9V has better Image Quality, HX10V has faster operation and better/newer specs/features.

But you are letting one review cloud your view of the HX10v heres some more for you to look at
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6501_7-10011865.html

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/face-off/12808-10568-versus-table.html

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/sony-cyber-shot-hx10v-p12808/test.html

I wish I could afford to try them all!

sparkle1103
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,652
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 7, 2012

Yes I'm starting to read about that too. I had that water coloriness and it has clear zoom or something like that.

Janice
--
In Loving Memory of
Sparkle

July 4, 1993 to August 14, 2011

superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 8, 2012

I don't think you read my post very carefully. I was responding to this:
"HX9V is better. The only difference I understand is 16mp to 18.5mpg "

If you re-read what I wrote, I said "it seems to be providing better image quality", that is far from conclusive and I'll add that is from the threads I've seen on the web.

consultant1027 wrote:

@ Superstar: If you are going to make IQ claims, it is best to provide a link that shows a comparison backing up your claim.

I've found most people in these forums endorse whatever they happened to be using without any examples to back up their claims.

superstar905 wrote:

Janice, this is not correct. Although the HX9V is good, the HX10/20/30 are sharing a new sensor that seems to be providing better image quality (less water colour type effect). Also, its processing time is much quicker from what I've read, particularly with video.

consultant1027
Like?
In reply to Dutchpepper, May 8, 2012

I couldn't find any side by side shot comparisons between the HX9 and HX10 in any of the reviews you posted? I tried clicking the images in the DigitalVersus review but it doesn't enlarge the image?

Dutchpepper wrote:

But you are letting one review cloud your view of the HX10v heres some more for you to look at
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6501_7-10011865.html

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/face-off/12808-10568-versus-table.html

I wish I could afford to try them all!

consultant1027
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 8, 2012

My apologies for misunderstanding your response. Based on my shooting experience with the SX260 today, I'd probably consider the Sony instead. Excellent image quality but lacking in other areas. I may give th HX10 a try just to make sure the ZS-19 or ZS-15 was the best choice for me.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1018&message=41450467

superstar905 wrote:
I don't think you read my post very carefully. I was responding to this:
"HX9V is better. The only difference I understand is 16mp to 18.5mpg "

If you re-read what I wrote, I said "it seems to be providing better image quality", that is far from conclusive and I'll add that is from the threads I've seen on the web.

consultant1027 wrote:

superstar905 wrote:

idiotking
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to consultant1027, May 8, 2012

There's definitely a lot to weigh - and IQ can be a trade-off someone's willing to make. Depending on what type of shots you like to take, how the camera feels in your hands, how fast it is, how good its video mode is, etc etc... you may be willing to take a slight hit in qualitative image quality to get an improvement in those.

I notice you're a big fan (it seems) of the Canon SX260... which I really want to like. All my film cameras are/were canon, and I think their higher end DSLR stuff is fantastic as well. Their lenses are terrific and color is most pleasing to my eye. But I'm just not comfortable with it, and absolutely couldn't stand the way the AF hunted around when I tested it out - its fuzzy logic must think I'm pretty illogical!

Even though it may seem to some people a fairly silly "extra", one thing that draws me back to the Sony HX series is the panorama mode -- my favorite in-camera toy that anyone does.

Reviews ARE really helpful though, when they give you quantitative measurements of things important to you (perhaps shot-to-shot speed), or give you good, standardized sample shots to compare cameras with (this is how I feel confident saying I like the HX9's image more than the HX10's). Different people also can weigh things like sharpness and color differently, or be more interested in a camera that is so-so in good light but keeps decent quality in low light, over one that takes excellent pics in good light, but craters in quality when conditions are dim.

I actually find some of the discussions informative, and the samples people post to be handy for checking out and comparing! I'm in the same boat with my current selections...

consultant1027
Like?
In reply to idiotking, May 8, 2012

My conclusion based on testing the SX260 today was thumbs up on the sensor and the image processing (from a noise/detail/color accuracy) standpoint (don't think anything beats it in this category), thumbs down on most other aspects compared to the Panasonic including the lens being very soft at the edges, lack of HDR, very few scene modes, slight zoom noise in the audio recording during video, annoying pop-up flash, etc. etc. Still a good camera though.

So I don't consider myself an SX260 fan anymore. A good example of how there's nothing that substitutes for actually using the camera yourself. Although I've found the part of the reviews I read I have the least discrepancy with in my own tests is the close inspection of image quality. The reviewers conclusions typically match my own. The actual photo can't "lie." The assessment of other aspects of the camera, such as ergonomics, can be a bit more prone to subjective opinion.

idiotking wrote:

There's definitely a lot to weigh - and IQ can be a trade-off someone's willing to make. Depending on what type of shots you like to take, how the camera feels in your hands, how fast it is, how good its video mode is, etc etc... you may be willing to take a slight hit in qualitative image quality to get an improvement in those.

I notice you're a big fan (it seems) of the Canon SX260... which I really want to like. All my film cameras are/were canon, and I think their higher end DSLR stuff is fantastic as well. Their lenses are terrific and color is most pleasing to my eye. But I'm just not comfortable with it, and absolutely couldn't stand the way the AF hunted around when I tested it out - its fuzzy logic must think I'm pretty illogical!

Even though it may seem to some people a fairly silly "extra", one thing that draws me back to the Sony HX series is the panorama mode -- my favorite in-camera toy that anyone does.

Reviews ARE really helpful though, when they give you quantitative measurements of things important to you (perhaps shot-to-shot speed), or give you good, standardized sample shots to compare cameras with (this is how I feel confident saying I like the HX9's image more than the HX10's). Different people also can weigh things like sharpness and color differently, or be more interested in a camera that is so-so in good light but keeps decent quality in low light, over one that takes excellent pics in good light, but craters in quality when conditions are dim.

I actually find some of the discussions informative, and the samples people post to be handy for checking out and comparing! I'm in the same boat with my current selections...

Dutchpepper
Like?
In reply to consultant1027, May 8, 2012

consultant1027 wrote:

I couldn't find any side by side shot comparisons between the HX9 and HX10 in any of the reviews you posted? I tried clicking the images in the DigitalVersus review but it doesn't enlarge the image?

go here

go to upper left add scene, select what you want to see, if you want 100% select it and image appears on the right side, click any where on at image and you will see it appear under the cameras, you also can add other cameras to compare

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads