Kodachrome 64 Preset - feedback needed!

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
Yanko Kitanov
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
Kodachrome 64 Preset - feedback needed!
May 5, 2012

Hi,

Warning - for users that don't have wide gamut displays the photos will just show a blown out red channel.

I've been working on an attempt for an automated Kodachrome 64 preset for RAW processing. I started with ACR 7/6.7 and LR 4.1, but as they really can't show the actual colours that Pentax DCU and Silkypix 5 Pro deliver I continued my work in Silkypix 5 Pro. It's a two step process tweaking WB, levels, contrast, microcontrast, etc. and then in the second step the colours are selectively adjusted by channels.

All my presets are 100% based on perceptual evaluation of the K64 colours from endless quantity of slides.

One of the problems is that the red channel is key to the K64 experience and it is really lost when converting to sRGB for the web. This is the reason why I post my samples in ProPhoto - viewers with wide gamut displays will be able to 100% evaluate the actual difference.

Please - I will really appreciate feedback on these as the preset is a bit raw in terms of selective colour tweaking per channels. It will really benefit from feedback of users that HAVE Calibrated Wide Gamut monitors and KNOW how Kodachrome 64 looks.

And to answer some questions - yes I know and have all the available plugins and the only thing getting close is RPP for MAC. Still it doesn't deliver well with the Pentax K-5 and Iliah, although promised, still is too busy to look for a solution. The second problem is that one has to keep a VMWare machine with MAC on his PC just because of RPP.

Sample 1 - actual Silkypix colours:

Sample 1 - K64 colours:

Sample 2 - actual Silkypix colours:

Sample 2 - K64 colours:

Thanks!

Have a great day/evening!
Yanko
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

I am dreaming to enhance the sensitivity of my own perception and not the sensitivity of my camera's sensor...

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Addition
In reply to Yanko Kitanov, May 5, 2012

If there is anyone willing to work on this with me I will send more samples, colour checkers etc.

And I will of course share the presets in this case!

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

I am dreaming to enhance the sensitivity of my own perception and not the sensitivity of my camera's sensor...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 19,671Gear list
Like?
Re: Kodachrome 64 Preset - feedback needed!

Yanko I am very impressed with your last PP the detail coming through the orange/red is excellent, its showing a lot more form and shape.
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Dean
In reply to ozdean, May 5, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

I forgot to add that both the Silkypix original and the K64 versions have been processed in terms of Kodachrome levels and contrast, clarity, etc..

My impressions regarding the Kodachrome Red are the same - it delivers a more 3d volume and punchy look. It actually also enhances the volume of the flower too as the red is deeper with much more contrast in the shadows.

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 31,864Gear list
Like?
That's really hard to tell…. to be honest I would say...

Just use DXo RAW and use their Kodachrome 64 preset I find it does seem to do rather well:

I have found that Dxo solves every color quip I had with the K-5- Yellows can be really yellow without green cast, greens look solid, blues look pretty solid and reds never go magenta land.

I am using normally now their film presets (Fuji astia, kodachrome or provia). Works like a charm.

Their normal default can work good too. Here's a photo ( a bit "too busy" though) that shows quite a range of different colors and to me they are all spot on.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,836
Like?
I applaud your effort

I have yet to create a preset that I am 100% happy with for Kodachrome. (Lightroom) The problem I have always had is that if I get it right for one particular type of image and then apply it to another it doesn't translate. P.S. while I have a IPS monitor it is not wide gamut so that may have some bering

I do like what you have so far the flower conversion looks good.

-- hide signature --
Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Re: That's really hard to tell…. to be honest I would say...
In reply to Raist3d, May 5, 2012

Exactly - DxO colours may not be bad or may even be spot on, but they have nothing to do with the actual Kodachrome 64 colors.

The K64 colours were definitely not spot on. The reds are closer to ornage, a bot darker and less saturated, the blues have higher saturation and are much darker, the yellows are in the orange land and are a bit undersaturated, the greens are a bit more yellowish and are waaay undersaturated, etc., etc...

And nice photos - thanks for posting - I like your PP.

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Re: I applaud your effort
In reply to Wallace Ross, May 5, 2012

Hi,

Thanks - Now I have changed the preset already since I work with colorcheckers and I found that the reds of the car are a bit oversaturated and a bit too light, now they are a bit darker, deeper and a bit less saturated bringig them much closer.

I am close to getting a couple of presets that work well on many images - one is fr images that include skintones - the effect there is more subtle in the red channel, so that I don't get brownish lips. TYhe second effect is stronger and is perfect for landscapes and images with predominant red.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Yanko Kitanov
Like?
One more sample

While I continue improving the preset here is one more sample:

Again - ProPhoto RGB, so it will be visible only for users with wide gamut displays, sRGB displays are too limited to display the actual colours and thus the differences, sorry. On sRGB displays these shots will look poor with blown out channels, etc.

Standard colours and levels:

Kodachrome 64 slide preset colours and levels:

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Raghu R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,039Gear list
Like?
Re: One more sample

Hi Y.K.

Just an off topic question where did you take the last picture? looks like an asian country.
Bye
R.Raghu
--
'The Photographer reveals the light;the light reveals the picture'--C.Rajagopal.
A picture should communicate with our heart.
Efzee-50 & Foojee F 31fd---Polaroid X-530

Raghu R's gear list:Raghu R's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Raghu
In reply to Raghu R, May 5, 2012

Hi!

The shot was taken on the North-East coast of Sri Lanka, near at a fisherman's beach house near Trinkomalee.

These places were the scene for war. terrorism and a huge tsunami in the recent years, but still they remain a peace of Paradise...

Cheers and thanks for looking!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Raist3d
Like?

Yanko Kitanov wrote:

Exactly - DxO colours may not be bad or may even be spot on, but they have nothing to do with the actual Kodachrome 64 colors.

Ok to be clear what I mean is Dxo gives you the Kodachrome look (sort of). I haven't looked at too many slides. But yeah, the color will be a bit off and that's how the film was. I agree.

The K64 colours were definitely not spot on. The reds are closer to ornage, a bot darker and less saturated, the blues have higher saturation and are much darker, the yellows are in the orange land and are a bit undersaturated, the greens are a bit more yellowish and are waaay undersaturated, etc., etc...

And nice photos - thanks for posting - I like your PP.

My post processing is literally choosing the film emulation in DXo and play with global contrast just a tiny bit. I was suggesting, give Dxo a try and see if you can get the Kodachrome 64 look easier.

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Yanko Kitanov
Like?
In reply to Raist3d, May 5, 2012

I have DxO installed and I use it sometimes (mostly for batch processing when lens correction is need and I don't have the time to go through each and every image) I have tried the film presets and I like the look it is just not Kodachrome - especially the reds are way of the original.

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Portrait Sample

Here is the effect used with skin tones in the frame - as you see it doesn't effect the skin tone much and the subtle effect is quite often a benefit.

Again - for wide gamut monitors, it's simply invisible in sRGB and these photos look poor on sRGB monitors due to channel clipping.

Original colours:

Kodachrome 64 preset:

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Raist3d
Like?
Ah cool

Fair enough. I guess I like dxo chrome then but that would be subject for another thread. Maybe their dedicated film simulator here may help
--

Pentax_Prime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?
Presets
In reply to Wallace Ross, May 6, 2012

Having used LR for 3+ years - I wouldn't lean on presets. You can usually tell when someone is doing the old noob preset 'button-press' ... weird things like black grass, clownish/fake looking skin tones, shadow noise, and just a general 'fit' that has nothing to do with the image. Process shots individually - no two shots are the same (nor were two film frames); presets intended for one shot will always disappoint when applied to another.

Wallace Ross wrote:

I have yet to create a preset that I am 100% happy with for Kodachrome. (Lightroom) The problem I have always had is that if I get it right for one particular type of image and then apply it to another it doesn't translate. P.S. while I have a IPS monitor it is not wide gamut so that may have some bering

I do like what you have so far the flower conversion looks good.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

My Website
http://www.andrewallenphoto.com

My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 19,671Gear list
Like?
Re: Dean
In reply to Yanko Kitanov, May 6, 2012

You are right Yanko re detail in the flower, I didn't notice this a s much as the second.
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Re: Presets
In reply to Pentax_Prime, May 6, 2012

Pentax_Prime wrote:

Having used LR for 3+ years - I wouldn't lean on presets. You can usually tell when someone is doing the old noob preset 'button-press' ... weird things like black grass, clownish/fake looking skin tones, shadow noise, and just a general 'fit' that has nothing to do with the image. Process shots individually - no two shots are the same (nor were two film frames); presets intended for one shot will always disappoint when applied to another.

Hi,

Thanks for your opinion! I absolutely agree with you on the level of jpg processing, but at RAW level the RPP for example uses quite consistently it's film presets and my Silkypix preset is also made to work universally on all shots.

Of course there is always the other question - although the preset can be applied to any shot, still it is quite clear that not every shot benefits from such presets.

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Yanko Kitanov
Like?
Re: Dean - one more sample
In reply to ozdean, May 6, 2012

Actually - the Kodachrome 64 was one of the slides that rendered volume very beautifully, due to its curves. The high contrast and clarity gave the slide a great 3d "pop". This of course went hand in hand with the narrower DR of such colour positive films.

Here is another fast sample - the whole frame feels a bit more 3d even at such small sizes:

Original rendering:

Kodachrome 64:

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

Pentax_Prime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,457Gear list
Like?
Uh - No.
In reply to Yanko Kitanov, May 6, 2012

I only shoot RAW; presets on JPEGS are even less of a good idea. Presets = what you do when you don't know how to process. When/if every shot you take has the same exposure, color, focus, etc. .... then your presets will work "universally". Give it some thought.

Yanko Kitanov wrote:

Thanks for your opinion! I absolutely agree with you on the level of jpg processing, but at RAW level the RPP for example uses quite consistently it's film presets and my Silkypix preset is also made to work universally on all shots.

Of course there is always the other question - although the preset can be applied to any shot, still it is quite clear that not every shot benefits from such presets.

Cheers!
--
Regards,
Yanko Kitanov

-- hide signature --

My Website
http://www.andrewallenphoto.com

My Pentax Street Gallery - Arranged By Lens Used
http://photobucket.com/andy_allen

Pentax_Prime's gear list:Pentax_Prime's gear list
Pentax K-5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads