I've decided to keep this camera....

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
Spade357
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?
I've decided to keep this camera....
May 5, 2012

..the EM-5!

My first shot with the Fuji XPro-1 made my jaw drop. It has the IQ that non of my previous cameras has, It was just awesome. Then came the blurry images, inaccurate focus and camera freeze. When this camera nails the focus, no other mirrorless can beat it though. It's too bad, Fuji never focused on fixing the camera's number one problem.

The EM-5, on the other hand, is close to a perfect mirrorless camera. The IQ is not on par with the Fuji, but the camera gives you perfect shots everytime (to me at least). The WB is really good indoors. I'm keeping this one instead.

ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,445
Like?
Re: I've decided to keep this camera....
In reply to Spade357, May 5, 2012

Spade357 wrote:

I'm keeping this one instead.

I can definitely understand that. BTW, what strap is that?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Spade357
Like?
In reply to ZoranC, May 5, 2012

ZoranC wrote:

Spade357 wrote:

I'm keeping this one instead.

I can definitely understand that. BTW, what strap is that?

I got it at http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?

Both good cameras, I like the Fuji X Pro much, the only thing to point is the slow AF

The Fuji looks like a Leica, really appealing, and the Leicas M don't have AF

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?

Hi

I used my EM5 indoors in dim lighting last night, up to ISO 5000, one handed and got some really good results.

The handling is MUCH improved by the grip. I would advise getting one.

-- hide signature --

Berni29

OMD, GH1 + Pana 20mm & 14-45mm (prev E30, E510, E1)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Spade357
Like?
In reply to berni29, May 5, 2012

berni29 wrote:

Hi

I used my EM5 indoors in dim lighting last night, up to ISO 5000, one handed and got some really good results.

-- hide signature --

Berni29

Looks good, but I'll try to stay as compact as possible with this system. My dSLR days are over

siminona
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221
Like?

Congrats!! I'm still waiting for my pre-order. :/

berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to siminona, May 5, 2012

Hi

I know what you mean about staying compact, but I would try one because the main part of the grip adds very little weight and size really. It is a trade off for sure, but I think it is well worth it.

I was very lucky to get this grip today. It is pretty much out of stock in HK. One shop got 3 of them with 3 batteries.

-- hide signature --

Berni29

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,477Gear list
Like?

Spade357 wrote:

berni29 wrote:

Hi

This grip really should be integrated into the body, which means a lot less duplicated parts/material like the extra shutter button, contacts, mount screw threads, mounting screw for the grip itself, base plate, and therefore less weight and bulk if done right. And also less cost and less screwing around

You can see from the picture that it should add very little bulk and weight, etc. if done properly. Also, it means the base camera will be more usable, e.g. not having to take the grip off to change batteries and providing better ergonomics, and I believe more room for other electronics (an extra SD card?) or just ventilation for heat dissipation. Olympus just would not pass up the chance to make some extra dollars, even when it is compromising what is a very nice flagship camera. Short-sighted.

siminona
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, May 5, 2012

I actually prefer it without the grip. I want a camera that's as compact and inconspicuous as possible. I think making the grip optional is great and allows Olympus to cater to a wider audience.

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Spade357 wrote:

berni29 wrote:

Hi

This grip really should be integrated into the body, which means a lot less duplicated parts/material like the extra shutter button, contacts, mount screw threads, mounting screw for the grip itself, base plate, and therefore less weight and bulk if done right. And also less cost and less screwing around

You can see from the picture that it should add very little bulk and weight, etc. if done properly. Also, it means the base camera will be more usable, e.g. not having to take the grip off to change batteries and providing better ergonomics, and I believe more room for other electronics (an extra SD card?) or just ventilation for heat dissipation. Olympus just would not pass up the chance to make some extra dollars, even when it is compromising what is a very nice flagship camera. Short-sighted.

Sergey Borachev
Like?

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Spade357 wrote:

berni29 wrote:

Hi

I forgot to mention one other thing that this grip does that is important to some people, e.g. taking/stitching or close macro shots. The grip provides a mount screw that is in line with the lens' axis. If integrated, this grip will make it a better camera, i.e. without screwing around and covering the battery door, adding extra weight, cost.... etc

I know many want the absolute minimal dimensions, but think again. We are talking about 5mm extra or so in height, if the grip is integrated. OK, there is more in the extra depth, but that is not really a problem if you consider the depth of the whole system after mounting a lens. It won't fit in any normal pocket anyway, and the the extra room required in the camera bag is minimal.

Mark Chan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,700
Like?

Well if they did that people will be moaning how NOT small it is compared to even the GH2; that GH2 beats it in size if not IQ.

I bought mine and even though the total cost with the 12-50mm and the vertical grip makes it close to the list price of the E-5, I'd rather have it this way.

You can make it as small as you want it.

Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to Mark Chan, May 5, 2012

Mark Chan wrote:

Well if they did that people will be moaning how NOT small it is compared to even the GH2; that GH2 beats it in size if not IQ.

I bought mine and even though the total cost with the 12-50mm and the vertical grip makes it close to the list price of the E-5, I'd rather have it this way.

You can make it as small as you want it.

Good point, but what good is a smaller size if other things are not equal as nearly as good. The GH2 does not have IBIS, and not the same IQ, weather proofing, and nothing really significantly better except video. However, GH3 might be the one to dethrone the E-M5. Then, it will take the E-M6 to beat the GH3. Taking turns to wear the mirrorless crown, or in fact the compact camera crown, is good for M43 and for us, good competition, more choices while using the same lenses, frequent updates, and lots of lenses. The future for M43 and for those investing into M43 is bright indeed.

Why would anyone buy any other mirrorless camera than M43?

Cheapskate
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

Sergey Borachev wrote:

This grip really should be integrated into the body,

or just ventilation for heat dissipation. Olympus just would not pass up the chance to make some extra dollars, even when it is compromising what is a very nice flagship camera. Short-sighted.

I disagree. Olympus give you a choice, which is good. An integrated grip deprives you of that choice.

I have used an OM4-Ti for years - which even with the minimalist add-on grip has less grip than the EM-5 in bare form. I have never had a handling issue with it or wanted it to have a handle and more bulk.

I also have had no issue with the E-M5 as it is and appreciate it's minimalism. I am getting the grips because of the free offer and will give them a go, but I suspect I might end up putting them on eBay.

Wouldn't allowing ventilation sort of compromise the weather sealing a bit?

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?

Can you quantify or explain what you mean by better IQ?

The only Fuji "IQ" advantage I can see is better high ISO, which I don't care about.

I don't actually want a camera with second best IQ, and if I thought the E-M5 was a such a camera I'd return it. But so far the only way I can see to beat it is a D800...

Spade357 wrote:

..the EM-5!

My first shot with the Fuji XPro-1 made my jaw drop. It has the IQ that non of my previous cameras has, It was just awesome. Then came the blurry images, inaccurate focus and camera freeze. When this camera nails the focus, no other mirrorless can beat it though. It's too bad, Fuji never focused on fixing the camera's number one problem.

The EM-5, on the other hand, is close to a perfect mirrorless camera. The IQ is not on par with the Fuji, but the camera gives you perfect shots everytime (to me at least). The WB is really good indoors. I'm keeping this one instead.

Robert L Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 5, 2012

The detail of the matt taken by the Fuji (of the EM5) looks better than that of the Fuji taken by the EM5, although the EM5 had about 1/2 stop more exposure, which may account for some of the difference.

Spade357
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 5, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:
Can you quantify or explain what you mean by better IQ?

The only Fuji "IQ" advantage I can see is better high ISO, which I don't care about.

I don't actually want a camera with second best IQ, and if I thought the E-M5 was a such a camera I'd return it. But so far the only way I can see to beat it is a D800...

Spade357 wrote:

..the EM-5!

Louis,

You really have to shoot with both cameras to see the difference. The Fuji really have have that film and 3D look. You won't see it in all the shots, but its there. It's sort of like comparing a movie vs. soap opera if you know what I mean. Portraits look like they are floating compare to the Oly which is like only one dimensional. Even my Canon T2i + 35mm f/1.4 (sold) can't duplicate the Fuji results. This alone will make you keep the Fuji even if the AF sucks big time.

jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
Spade, what is the make of that wrist strap...

and where did you get it? Sorry off topic but that looks like a very cool, very practical piece of gear. Thanks also for the great photo of the EM5.
--
---
Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Spade357
Like?
Re: Spade, what is the make of that wrist strap...
In reply to jazzbass62, May 5, 2012

jazzbass62 wrote:

and where did you get it? Sorry off topic but that looks like a very cool, very practical piece of gear. Thanks also for the great photo of the EM5.
--
---
Cleve

jazz,

It's hand made leather according to the website. It's hard and uncomfortable in the beginning, but gets soft and more comfortable afterwards. I got it at http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com .

Spade357
Like?
In reply to Robert L Jones, May 5, 2012

Robert L Jones wrote:

The detail of the matt taken by the Fuji (of the EM5) looks better than that of the Fuji taken by the EM5, although the EM5 had about 1/2 stop more exposure, which may account for some of the difference.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Both cameras where set on default though. I turned off "Keep Warm Color" on WB setting by the way on the Olympus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads