What is this Technique Called? How is it Done?

Started May 5, 2012 | Discussions
Zader
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
What is this Technique Called? How is it Done?
May 5, 2012

For example:

A long shot of a man sitting down on a bench. An object passes by in front of the lens. By the time the object passes, the camera has cut to a close up of the man's face.

I use Premiere Pro & AE. Does this technique have a specific name? Anybody know how I might be able to replicate something similar?

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,159
Like?
Re: What is this Technique Called? How is it Done?
In reply to Zader, May 5, 2012

You're talking about a "wipe", where the border of the transition from one scene to moves horizontally across the screen. To do what you're describing you have to shoot similar objects crossing in front of the camera at the same apparent speed in both the long shot and the close-up, then use a wipe in the same direction as the moving object, timed to move at the same speed as the object. If the moving object fills the screen, has little discernible detail, and has the same exposure and colour balance in both shots, then the actual wipe transition can be pretty much invisible, particularly if the "edge" of the wipe is a gradual feathered gradient instead of a hard edge.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,095
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 5, 2012

Couldn't you also so a wipe using the standard wipe transition which is available in most higher-end video editing programs? The initial shot would be the man at a distance with a person passing between man and camera. The second shot would be a closeup of the man's face. In editing, the last several frames of the "man passing" would be cut, the face closeup would appear immediately in the second clip, and the wipe transition would be used to link the two clips.
--
Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,159
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, May 5, 2012

bill hansen wrote:

Couldn't you also so a wipe using the standard wipe transition which is available in most higher-end video editing programs?

I was actually describing the standard wipe transition, but using it in conjunction with material shot specifically to match it. You could do it as you describe, but it wouldn't look as seamless. If you have control over the production, then you'd want to capture original footage that will best produce the effect you're looking for.

Zader
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 5, 2012

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, ultimately I want to produce a seamless shot, similar to the method Sean outlined. I'll give it a shot.

I'll also try filming an object passing in front of the camera, then rotobrushing it and applying it as a separate layer as a transition between the long shot and close up, masking appropriately.

bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,095
Like?
In reply to Zader, May 5, 2012

Whooh! rotobrushing....separate (video) layer..... Good to know that things like that can be done but you guys are several steps ahead of me. I need to stay with more basic stuff for a long while now.
--
Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads